throwing a match for a better match up?

I'm extremely conflicted in this situation. On the one hand, losing on purpose goes directly against my wrestling nature. On the other, I feel like the best four wrestlers deserve the chance to wrestle at the state tournament. How about we fix the problem by having an extra round that wrestles for a true 4th place?

How about......not. The closest fix would be to go back to the days of old and follow the leader. If you lose to a wrestler, then he must win to keep you alive, if he loses, then you are done. If you wrestle for a true fourth, you would have to wrestle a true second as well and everything then gets far too complicated. Just wrestle. After all, it is called the sport of "WRESTLING". Unless it have been changed to the sport of Strategery, then I am obviously just in the wrong forum and I apologize!

I'm surprised by the testimony in this thread that this happens. Hard to believe.
It's one thing for a fan to speculate about easiest route "on paper" for a wrestler to advance (as I did in the case of Heffernan, Eds 130), but neither he nor the EDs coaches would EVER pull a stunt like that for real. NO CHANCE.

I also gotta believe that if this does happen for real, the offending wrestler knows, deep down, that he's doing wrong (one would hope).

How about......not. The closest fix would be to go back to the days of old and follow the leader. If you lose to a wrestler, then he must win to keep you alive, if he loses, then you are done. If you wrestle for a true fourth, you would have to wrestle a true second as well and everything then gets far too complicated. Just wrestle. After all, it is called the sport of "WRESTLING". Unless it have been changed to the sport of Strategery, then I am obviously just in the wrong forum and I apologize!

Actually you don't need to wrestle for true 2nd because that guy is going anyways. I wrestled D2 in college and we wrestled for true 4th for trips to nationals. I am leery of doing it in high school because the idea of having a spot to advance and then losing it is a lot for anyone to handle, but to put a high school kid through that may be a bit much.

Wrestling for true 4th is a great idea. It only adds one more round. If the fourth place finishers beat the 5th, then you don't need to wrestle the match. This would be the right thing for wrestling and validate the top four to the state tournament. Wow, how exciting would that third place match be then!!!!

Wrestling for true 4th is a great idea. It only adds one more round. If the fourth place finishers beat the 5th, then you don't need to wrestle the match. This would be the right thing for wrestling and validate the top four to the state tournament. Wow, how exciting would that third place match be then!!!!

Agreed 1000%. I think if you took a pole on this with coaches, kids, former wrestlers, parents, etc. they would be overwhelmingly in favor of this. I especially think it should be done at the sectional level too which would solve the problem of only seeding 4 wrestlers (which always leads to lots of kids getting in to districts on a lucky draw).

I'm surprised by the testimony in this thread that this happens. Hard to believe.
It's one thing for a fan to speculate about easiest route "on paper" for a wrestler to advance (as I did in the case of Heffernan, Eds 130), but neither he nor the EDs coaches would EVER pull a stunt like that for real. NO CHANCE.

I also gotta believe that if this does happen for real, the offending wrestler knows, deep down, that he's doing wrong (one would hope).

This is a perfect example of the uncertainty of game planning. If he loses first match he ends up getting Inchauregi in first consolation and that would not have been an easy match. If he tosses second match he probably does get through but he pinned the #1 seed kid in the first period. I cannot recall an Ed's wrestler ever taking that path.

I do understand defaulting to 2nd or 4th place if you're hurt, no reason to risk not being able to go the following week.

I'd like to know what happened with Roddy @ 160. Apparently no one from Brecksville alerted the coaches at St. Ed's that he wasn't going to show for his finals match with Abounader. Kids family and friends all came over from eastside to watch finals match and he gets a forfeit? The least the Brecksville staff could have done was let Ed's staff know their kid wasn't going to wrestle. Not sure what the thought process was as he would have been on the opposite side of the bracket by virtue of finishing 2nd. Sure looks like he was avoiding Abounader.

I'd like to know what happened with Roddy @ 160. Apparently no one from Brecksville alerted the coaches at St. Ed's that he wasn't going to show for his finals match with Abounader. Kids family and friends all came over from eastside to watch finals match and he gets a forfeit? The least the Brecksville staff could have done was let Ed's staff know their kid wasn't going to wrestle. Not sure what the thought process was as he would have been on the opposite side of the bracket by virtue of finishing 2nd. Sure looks like he was avoiding Abounader.

He wrestled Brandenberg tough for the sectional title, but by finishing second Roddy avoided both until the final at district