this is not going to be pretty

bigmoe12

I listen to the whole game last night and I couldn't believe what I heard. What is wrong with Moeller football these days. They should always beat those kinds of teams. Will they even beat Middletown?

It wasn't that pretty. Moe moved the ball between the 20's for the most part, but got pretty conservative inside the redzone. Defense didn't look that bad, but special teams does it once again. Either they need a new special teams coach or something. 2 TO's in the 4th quarter on punts because they had not enough/too many guys?? Are you kidding me, someone should be fired for that one!

crusader3 said:
It wasn't that pretty. Moe moved the ball between the 20's for the most part, but got pretty conservative inside the redzone. Defense didn't look that bad, but special teams does it once again. Either they need a new special teams coach or something. 2 TO's in the 4th quarter on punts because they had not enough/too many guys?? Are you kidding me, someone should be fired for that one!

I agree. How bout the fake punt? Everybody knew we had to go for it, so why not call a play a give us a chance. Fake punts only work on the element of surprise. Everybody knew it was coming. Totally ridiculous.:hello:

GCLMAN said:
I agree. How bout the fake punt? Everybody knew we had to go for it, so why not call a play a give us a chance. Fake punts only work on the element of surprise. Everybody knew it was coming. Totally ridiculous.:hello:

The timeout right before the fake punt gave it away for me..

Sorry to butt in but was curious over your reactions.

When do you start holding the players responsible? Coaching is one element only. It seems too me that too many people in Moeller land think all they have to do is put on the uniform and everyone else will roll over.

colgar said:
Sorry to butt in but was curious over your reactions.

When do you start holding the players responsible? Coaching is one element only. It seems too me that too many people in Moeller land think all they have to do is put on the uniform and everyone else will roll over.

Huh? You hold kids responsible every step of the way, but I'm fairly certain that the kids didn't call the fake punt. I don't where you get this "put on the uniform" nonsense. This is football. Nobody at Moeller ever expected opponents to roll over because of the uniform. If anything, it's always more of a target.

cintihssportsfanatic said:
I'm guessing/hoping the fake punt did not get called from the sideline. I sure hope the kid called it on the field. Coaches know better than call a fake after a time out?????

Are you joking? If that was called on the field that kid wouldn't even be on the team. That was a sideline call. In all honesty the defense disappointed me the most. Special teams was pretty good minus the missed extra point and the personnel confusion. The defense gave up almost 300 yards of offense to a team that really isnt that good. The linebackers looked pretty bad and they could not cover a simple 5-yard out. Frank Becker and Andy Wersel were everywhere. Ross Oltorick has improved so much from last year it is like night and day. I was one of his biggest doubters, but man after watching him last week I think he is going to be very very good. Really the team just needs to toughen up and get nasty. If the defense clamps down they should do alright. There were just a couple statistical categories that killed them, and 1 terrible officiating call. They got crushed on 3rd down offensively, going 0-6. They were also penalized for almost 100 yards and gave up a ton of yardage on top of that. If the offense puts the ball in the endzone, things should get better as well.

Pivitol game

Moeller's best bet against the Middies will be to pound the ball at the so-so run defense and attack and take advantage of Middletown's non-existent kicking game.

Even with Moeller's steller defense, if they get into a track meet with the Middies they will be toast. Middletown will get their points.

Can't score though if Moeller controls the clock. This is a pivitol game for both schools who have playoff hopes.

moemancc said:
The linebackers looked pretty bad and they could not cover a simple 5-yard out. Frank Becker and Andy Wersel were everywhere. Ross Oltorick has improved so much from last year it is like night and day. I was one of his biggest doubters, but man after watching him last week I think he is going to be very very good. Really the team just needs to toughen up and get nasty. If the defense clamps down they should do alright.

I totally agree with the team needing to toughen up and get nasty. I really don't think the team has any fire in them as of now. I don't really know how you can place fire in the eyes of teenage boys but something needs to be done. On the defensive side of the ball I thought Becker was all over the place with 2 or 3 sacks and many tackles. Wersel played alright not showing me much of the last year talent he had. Lane really wasn’t there; saw him being yelled at non-stop. It didn’t seem like the LB's came to play. In the Colerain scrimmage Greg Jones had 3 huge sacks and played with intensity, while during the West game I didn’t even feel his presence. The other LB's basically were just there on the field. The DB's didn’t look terrible but sure didn’t impress anyone. The touchdown pass being a misplayed ball by McClellan was the only major lapse. Overall the defense didn’t look amazingly bad but just wasn’t what we all expected. Theres too many playmakers on the field not to have a stellar defense.

I guess you could say special teams did OK - if you throw out the missed PAT (that lost the game in the last 25 seconds, or the 2 time outs they had to burn for personnel issues - luckily they didn't need the timeouts).
West got the ball with 35 seconds left, and Moeller had 1 TO left. I know it would have taken a lot but West was just able to kneel on it. If they had those three TO's left they would have at least forced West to get a first down. The average run play takes about 4-5 seconds. Moeller could have got the ball back with 20-25 seconds left on the clock.

just to add something here. if you watch the fake punt, all the blockers go one way and the runner goes the other.

just thought id let everyone know that.

I'm not joking. I bet they have the option of running the fake if they see something on the field.

I guess you could say special teams did OK - if you throw out the missed PAT (that lost the game in the last 25 seconds, or the 2 time outs they had to burn for personnel issues - luckily they didn't need the timeouts).

I don't agree with your assessment of the defense. If the DB doesn't trip over himself - West is shutout til the last the last 7 minutes. Defense did fine.

I can guarantee you they are not allowed to run a fake on their own. I don't see how the defense did any better than bad. If you give up almost 300 yards of offense and more than 100 yards rushing to a team like that that really isnt that good, nor should be considered a playoff contender, then you really didnt play well. You also had a ton of penalties, although the one on the blocked punt was a bad call and the so was the pass interference. Take those 2 away and you have 85 yards of penalties. The defense would get the LW offense into a 2nd and long or a 3rd and long situation and wind up giving it away for a first down because they couldnt cover a simple 5-yard out. They caught that pass a ton of times, and I could tell you exactly whose man it was every time. Honestly if the guys play like they want to play they could be much better. I still saw a ton of potential in the game. I kind of left thinking if this had been next week that Moe would have absolutely waxed them. Give the team a chance.

bigmoe12 said:
I listen to the whole game last night and I couldn't believe what I heard. What is wrong with Moeller football these days. They should always beat those kinds of teams. Will they even beat Middletown?

It sounds to me like the team has answered your question with an unequivocal YES.

Congratulations Crusaders on a well-earned victory. Play like you are capable of playing and you will beat Massillon!

Can anyone confirm a rumor I heard about the West game? This is the skinny that I had heard: A former Moe student who happened to be a QB on Moe Frosh team last year transfered to West this year and was telling West's Def coordinator all of the plays based upon the hand signals coming in from the Moe sideline. This was reason why West had so much success on defense until Moe's final drive when the Crusader players were getting the the plays verbally from the coaching staff.

Let me know if this could be true. Or, if it's a bunch of hogwash.

Congrats on crushing Middletown on Friday & good luck this week against Massillon.

- from an Elder fan

99BOB said:
Can anyone confirm a rumor I heard about the West game? This is the skinny that I had heard: A former Moe student who happened to be a QB on Moe Frosh team last year transfered to West this year and was telling West's Def coordinator all of the plays based upon the hand signals coming in from the Moe sideline. This was reason why West had so much success on defense until Moe's final drive when the Crusader players were getting the the plays verbally from the coaching staff.

Congrats on crushing Middletown on Friday & good luck this week against Massillon.

- from an Elder fan
Bob, it is true and has been discussed at length in other threads here and on the football forum. It certainly doesn't represent good sportmanship, but the coaches have to smart enough to change the signals for cryin out loud.

GCLMAN said:
Bob, it is true and has been discussed at length in other threads here and on the football forum. It certainly doesn't represent good sportmanship, but the coaches have to smart enough to change the signals for cryin out loud.

Thanks! I didn't have the time to go back through all the threads and check. And I concur that the coaches should have been wise enough to change the signals.

It is my understanding that that is not what happened. It is my understanding that the said player was identifying the Moeller formation and indicating plays that Moeller likes to run out of those formations and nothing more. Lets not make accusations without proof.

UncleBaldy said:
It is my understanding that that is not what happened. It is my understanding that the said player was identifying the Moeller formation and indicating plays that Moeller likes to run out of those formations and nothing more. Lets not make accusations without proof.
Baldy, I recognize this isn't proof, but what I said before is what several coaches said to my kid as he got off the bus after the game.

Coaches should not be discussing this with players even if they believe it to be true. That is like blaming the refs for a loss. Winners take accountability and losers place blame. If the Moeller coaches are blaming this kid for the loss then it will be a very long season on Montgomery Road.

GCLMAN said:
Baldy, I recognize this isn't proof, but what I said before is what several coaches said to my kid as he got off the bus after the game.

For crying out loud... can we put signalgate to bed?

First, does anyone really fault West for using every advantage they could?

Second, IF it was that big a problem then shouldn't they just have run the plays in.

Finally, lets not forget... its Lakota West... my god... we should have been able to line up have the o-lineman point at his guy and say we coming right here and theres nothing you can do about it.

But... they didn't... West embarrased us... move on.

Even if they tipped the coaches off to what the plays were, how would the LW coaches have time to relay that information unto the field and change the defense that they were calling? This is just a lame excuse for an embarassing loss.

99BOB said:

- from an Elder fan

First, I don't have a fog in this fight and I am not a football guru, but I have watched a number of college and pro games where there are two coaches on the sidelines giving signals. The players are told which coach is the 'real' signal caller and which is the decoy.
Depending on how thouroughly the opponent knows the signals, maybe you switch the 'real' and the 'decoy'??
Second, if a team watches enough film, and their opponent never changes their signals, wouldn't a team eventually be able to decipher the signals?