The Official 2024 Reds season thread

I always wondered if this would eventually happen. Baseball journeyman and Cincy native Josh Harrison has been signed by the Reds. I think this is all about utility and leadership for a young team. Now I wouldn't say Harrison has played on alot of great ball clubs,but he seems to be respected everywhere he's been.
It’s a non-roster invite, so barring injury to a key infielder or two, I’d be very surprised if he even makes the team. He’s washed up.

If Harrison makes the 26-man roster that means something has gone very wrong in spring training. Like a couple infielders got hurt, or a couple of the young guys are batting .030 in the spring and look lost, or something bad. 5 years ago Harrison was useful. Not now.

If Harrison makes the 26-man roster that means something has gone very wrong in spring training. Like a couple infielders got hurt, or a couple of the young guys are batting .030 in the spring and look lost, or something bad. 5 years ago Harrison was useful. Not now.
Ditto, I think you're looking at it from a performance standpoint. Harrison's main focus now would be from a leadership/ clubhouse position.

Ditto, I think you're looking at it from a performance standpoint. Harrison's main focus now would be from a leadership/ clubhouse position.
Yes, but with 13 pitchers and 13 position players, there is no room for a great leader who can no longer play well enough to be in the MLB.

I'm assuming these guys are playing somewhat regularly: EDLC, McLain, Marte, CES, Candelario, Steer, Friedl, Benson, Fraley, India, Stephenson, Maile. That is 12. The 13th guy needs to be able to pinch hit and play well also.

Yes, but with 13 pitchers and 13 position players, there is no room for a great leader who can no longer play well enough to be in the MLB.

I'm assuming these guys are playing somewhat regularly: EDLC, McLain, Marte, CES, Candelario, Steer, Friedl, Benson, Fraley, India, Stephenson, Maile. That is 12. The 13th guy needs to be able to pinch hit and play well also.
Boy do I like the looks of that lineup. I still feel there is a chance India gets moved before the season starts.
What's the phrase we hear all the time now, roster flexibility. Well, Hamilton last season for Philly played, all the positions in baseball except catcher. All I'm saying is you add that flexibility with the leadership component and don't be shocked if he makes the team.

Boy do I like the looks of that lineup. I still feel there is a chance India gets moved before the season starts.
What's the phrase we hear all the time now, roster flexibility. Well, Hamilton last season for Philly played, all the positions in baseball except catcher. All I'm saying is you add that flexibility with the leadership component and don't be shocked if he makes the team.
India isn’t getting moved if it hasn’t happened by now. The Reds aren’t going to be trading for more pitching for now.

The only spot possibly open on the Reds is someone who can capably play centerfield if needed. Harrison has appeared in centerfield in fewer than 10 games in his career, and those were only in Washington three years ago. They’re not putting a 36/37-year-old utility infielder in centerfield.

India isn’t getting moved if it hasn’t happened by now. The Reds aren’t going to be trading for more pitching for now.

The only spot possibly open on the Reds is someone who can capably play centerfield if needed. Harrison has appeared in centerfield in fewer than 10 games in his career, and those were only in Washington three years ago. They’re not putting a 36/37-year-old utility infielder in centerfield.
Yea, he's not a centerfielder, at least in this part of his career.

What's the phrase we hear all the time now, roster flexibility. Well, Hamilton last season for Philly played, all the positions in baseball except catcher.
Are you making up a player? The only Hamilton's I can think of are Billy (barely played last year), a 3rd string catcher for the Red Sox, and maybe a relief pitcher named Ian Hamilton (Rockies maybe). The Phillies had a few flexible guys that played a few spots (Stott, Bohm, Harper).

It doesn't matter, but now I'm curious - not sure who you mean...

Are you making up a player? The only Hamilton's I can think of are Billy (barely played last year), a 3rd string catcher for the Red Sox, and maybe a relief pitcher named Ian Hamilton (Rockies maybe). The Phillies had a few flexible guys that played a few spots (Stott, Bohm, Harper).

Maybe he’s on whatever Josh Hamilton used to be on and that’s the Hamilton he’s talking about.

Harrison, my bad. Freudian slip. Now Billy Hamilton, THERE'S a centerfielder!!! ;)

Harrison, my bad. Freudian slip. Now Billy Hamilton, THERE'S a centerfielder!!! ;)
I see. I forgot Harrison was on the Phillies last year.

I checked and he played 27 games between 2B and 3B, 8 games between LF and RF, and some DH. It was very forgettable. Batted .204 with no power and no speed. On base an atrocious .263. He cannot make the Reds this year unless a few guys are out for the year during spring ball...

I see. I forgot Harrison was on the Phillies last year.

I checked and he played 27 games between 2B and 3B, 8 games between LF and RF, and some DH. It was very forgettable. Batted .204 with no power and no speed. On base an atrocious .263. He cannot make the Reds this year unless a few guys are out for the year during spring ball...
He may be past his prime, who knows. For the Reds, no risk. If he wins a job, so be it, if he doesn't, you don't lose anything. Like you Lance McCallister posted last night that you have basically 12 of the 13 non-pitcher positions spoken for barring injury. The 3 likely vying for the last spot is Stuart Fairchild, Jose Barrero and Harrison. Fairchild doesn't play the infield, so that works against him although it's not necessarily a deal breaker. Spencer Steer will likely be in left field but he can and has played all the infield positions so you can always move him. I'm not sure you can say Barrero is a competent outfielder, he's barley played it. This really comes down to what your looking for. If your looking for a veteran clubhouse leader, then Fairchild and Barrero doesn't fit that. If you look back prior to 2023, Harrison's numbers were pretty good.

Stop trying to push Harrison. The Reds have 6 current infielders, 7 if you include Steer being able to move around. The team needs a competent backup centerfielder. That’s not Harrison.

The only outfielders who are a lock for the roster are Friedl, Fraley, Benson and Steer. And Friedl is the only one of those guys who you feel OK putting in CF. So it’s clear what the last roster spot needs to address. (Hint: It’s not leadership.)

Stop trying to push Harrison. The Reds have 6 current infielders, 7 if you include Steer being able to move around. The team needs a competent backup centerfielder. That’s not Harrison.

The only outfielders who are a lock for the roster are Friedl, Fraley, Benson and Steer. And Friedl is the only one of those guys who you feel OK putting in CF. So it’s clear what the last roster spot needs to address. (Hint: It’s not leadership.)
Agreed. I hope that Hurtubise has a great spring and makes the squad as 26th man. Failing that, I'm hoping Barerro. I've always loved his potential.

India signed for 2 years. Solid move - glad to see it. Valuable bat and leader for this group.
Good deal for both sides. No doubt India wants to stay in Cincy and let's face it, he has little leverage with the Reds. The Reds are full of young prospects and they keep coming. India is already likely to be a spot starter at best and moving positions. I see him starting a few games a week vs. lefties, at either 2nd, 3rd, or possibly left. And on days he doesn't start, he'll be a valuable bench guy that can be plugged in when a lefty is brought in mid game. David Bell has a bunch of guys who are swiss army knives who can be moved around.
And if a contending team is in need of a 2nd baseman, don't be shocked that he becomes trade bait. He's got a good contract and could start for many teams. Reds front office continues to knock it out of the park.

Good deal for both sides. No doubt India wants to stay in Cincy and let's face it, he has little leverage with the Reds. The Reds are full of young prospects and they keep coming. India is already likely to be a spot starter at best and moving positions. I see him starting a few games a week vs. lefties, at either 2nd, 3rd, or possibly left. And on days he doesn't start, he'll be a valuable bench guy that can be plugged in when a lefty is brought in mid game. David Bell has a bunch of guys who are swiss army knives who can be moved around.
And if a contending team is in need of a 2nd baseman, don't be shocked that he becomes trade bait. He's got a good contract and could start for many teams. Reds front office continues to knock it out of the park.
I agree with most of what you said, except...

You don't think the Reds will be contending? I expect they will be in the hunt again, and they won't trade India (or anyone) if they are.

Read an article projecting the Reds roster for 24. If Stuart Fairchild is on the final 26 I will lose my mind
Was it Mark Sheldon? I saw his article yesterday and he had Fairchild as the 13th guy also. I won;t lose my mind, but he would not be my first choice.

I’d be surprised if the 13th guy isn’t Fairchild, honestly. He’s not my first choice either, but someone in the Reds org likes him.

I agree with most of what you said, except...

You don't think the Reds will be contending? I expect they will be in the hunt again, and they won't trade India (or anyone) if they are.
I don't agree with that. You trade when you have a surplus. The Reds have more Elly's and Matt McLain's in their minor league system. If say the Orioles lose their 2nd baseman early in the season to an injury and they are in a need for one, and they want to trade us some valuable pieces, I listen. This thought that India is irreplicable makes no sense.

The Reds have more Elly's and Matt McLain's in their minor league system.
That’s a matter of conjecture. For infielders, only Edwin Arroyo, who from what I’ve heard isn’t a prolific hitter, has scratched MLB’s top 100 prospects. Arroyo had a pedestrian .749 OPS in essentially a full season with Dayton in 2023.

None of Arroyo, Carlos Jorge, Cam Collier and Sal Stewart has played a game above High-A ball. To say we’re going to keep flowing infielders to the majors quickly seems overly optimistic.

I don't agree with that. You trade when you have a surplus. The Reds have more Elly's and Matt McLain's in their minor league system. If say the Orioles lose their 2nd baseman early in the season to an injury and they are in a need for one, and they want to trade us some valuable pieces, I listen. This thought that India is irreplicable makes no sense.
I never said India was "irreplicable", since I only use real words. Nor did I say he was irreplaceable. I said if the Reds are contending they will not be trading away key guys. Having infielders in the minor leagues that "might" be contributors in '25 or '26 does not help a playoff push in '24.

I never said India was "irreplicable", since I only use real words. Nor did I say he was irreplaceable. I said if the Reds are contending they will not be trading away key guys. Having infielders in the minor leagues that "might" be contributors in '25 or '26 does not help a playoff push in '24.
Believe me there are guys that are in Louisville to begin the season that will be up before seasons end. Edwin Arroyo is supposed to be all that, and he's specific to shortstop and has not been moved around like the others.

That’s a matter of conjecture. For infielders, only Edwin Arroyo, who from what I’ve heard isn’t a prolific hitter, has scratched MLB’s top 100 prospects. Arroyo had a pedestrian .749 OPS in essentially a full season with Dayton in 2023.

None of Arroyo, Carlos Jorge, Cam Collier and Sal Stewart has played a game above High-A ball. To say we’re going to keep flowing infielders to the majors quickly seems overly optimistic.
Compared to Alex Blandino and Stuart Fairchild, our minor league system has exploded.