State meet practice

Anyone know when Owens stadium will be open next thursday for practice?

I don't see it listed anywhere, but the facility has been open from 4pm-6pm on Thurs. for the past few years. However, they have cracked down the past 2 years to the point where you can't run on the track at all during that session, let alone stand in the grass. They'll all but threaten to shoot you on site if you even look at the grass ;). IIRC, even the HJ apron is off limits during that session.

I also don't recall them having any state meet merchandise available to sell on Thurs. either. Get there a little bit earlier on Fri. or Sat, so your kids and their parents have a chance to handle that order of business.

The track used to be wall-to-wall with bodies during that session, but it hasn't been nearly as crowded the past 2 years. Unless you're looking to kill time and walk around and take your pictures next to the statue of Jesse, it's almost not worth going on Thursday. Plenty of time to get on the track and get used to it before your division's session of running events begins on Fri. and Sat.

Last edited:
Anyone know when Owens stadium will be open next thursday for practice?

That session is specifically set up to be a walk-through only. It is to allow the athletes to become familiar with the stadium, where things are, find the clerk tent or their field event venue, etc. It is NOT meant to be a practice session.

That session is specifically set up to be a walk-through only. It is to allow the athletes to become familiar with the stadium, where things are, find the clerk tent or their field event venue, etc. It is NOT meant to be a practice session.

It was ridiculous when teams would try to practice sprint relay exchanges in spite of all the information specifically forbidding the use of any batons, blocks, or implements during that session. I didn't mind people wanting to jog around the track, but having other coaches try to command people to stay out of a specific lane was a bit much.