Start giving teams points for losses

Saw the title and thought "no way, this can't be serious" so clicked on the thread.

After 31 posts, I'm still not sure if this is real or we all just got catfished...

This makes things a lot more complicated.

I do agree that it's not fair that a loss to a 1-9 team counts the same as a loss to a 10-0 team.

Of course, with so many teams in the playoffs, there is really not much to complain about.

I could see a possibility of awarding -some- points for an OVERTIME loss - just to pick a number, the losing team would get half or a third of the points for an OTL that they would have received for the win.

You are missing my point. I am affiliated with a non conference independent school. All our games are against yearly state bound teams in lower divisions. We have two games in our division. Other teams ahead of us in points in the region have not played anybody. We play the toughest teams all around the state. Six teams ahead of us have played teams with no wins. We would beat those teams by 50. By the way, participation awards are BS! I cannot wait until they go back to eight teams per region. (Or better yet 6 per regjon like the 80's) The whole point of thread is put your big boy pads on and schedule the best.
I believe it was 1, 2, 4, 8 and now 16; but never 6.

I could see a possibility of awarding -some- points for an OVERTIME loss - just to pick a number, the losing team would get half or a third of the points for an OTL that they would have received for the win.
I know I'm in the minority, but to decide a game that was played evenly on the scoreboard for 48/60 minutes with a gimmick like the high school/college tiebreaker is worse than having ties. Tiebreakers are needed in the playoffs of course, but not the regular season. Split the points and move on to next week.

Last edited:
It's way past time for OHSSA to implement points for losses to avoid playoff caliber teams not making playoffs due to strength of schedule. While this rule definitely hurts the Non conference independent schools, it also affects most teams that play in the best conferences. Why let mediocre teams in that have not played anyone with a winning record. Isn't the point to schedule the best opponents to get better, or just play an easy schedule to make the playoffs. The points should be based off the teams record/regional rankings. The higher they are, the more points you get.
For example, zero points for a loss against a 25 seed, five points for a one seed. Let's make football tough again, and quit punishing teams that are trying to get better. Hats off to all the Ohio schools who don't back down against the better pro
Having not read every post word for word and knowing if this was brought up. BUUTTTT, if points were to awarded for loses, this would miss your point for schools that play out of state games. How do you reconcile a strength of schedule for out of state schools? Your suggestion would indicate points be awarded for only OHSAA, in state, sanctioned games? Steubenville may have a problem with that....just say'n

16 teams make the playoffs; there is no excuse for a team missing the playoffs. There is no team in the state that couldn't make the playoffs with the schedule they play; your playoff fate lies in your hands, you make it on wins and you don't when you lose.

You are missing my point. I am affiliated with a non conference independent school. All our games are against yearly state bound teams in lower divisions. We have two games in our division. Other teams ahead of us in points in the region have not played anybody. We play the toughest teams all around the state. Six teams ahead of us have played teams with no wins. We would beat those teams by 50. By the way, participation awards are BS! I cannot wait until they go back to eight teams per region. (Or better yet 6 per regjon like the 80's) The whole point of thread is put your big boy pads on and schedule the best.
Somehow I cannot let this go 🤦‍♂️. Points for losses?!? Can you define a good loss or at what level points should be given for a loss? Simply scheduling a team you know you will lose to for points purposes does not make you a quality team. There are LITERALLY 30 or more teams a year looking for a game at some point in time during the season. Check out the white boards at the OHSAA coaches clinic for starters and being an independent there should be no problem hooking up with one of these teams. There, solved your playoff points problem.

Now, I will go back to smoking a brisket and maybe some ribs if Kroger has them for less than $10/lb...my issue of the day.

Watered down? Nope

This is not giving 700+ teams trophies. Good God Karen, get real.

I do agree about points for losing. 16 get in and no one can complain, but yet here we are.:banana::stirthepot: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
16 teams in each region just sets up too many teams up to be destroyed in first round. Every now and then there may be an upset but generally there are VERY lopsided scores. Also amazes me that Lasalle is in with 1 win and 8 straight losses going in to the play-offs.

How are people complaining right now? 16 seeds qualify for the playoffs. You need to win five games and that is it. Some regions three or four. If you don’t win five games you don’t deserve to be in the playoffs regardless lol
You will love this then ! Lasalle won their first game and then lost 8 straight and qualified at # 16 in region 8. Div. 2 . First round vs. Winton Woods. The system is messed up

You will love this then ! Lasalle won their first game and then lost 8 straight and qualified at # 16 in region 8. Div. 2 . First round vs. Winton Woods. The system is messed up
Well considering they play powerhouse DI's mostly and are DII, I could see that.

16 teams in each region just sets up too many teams up to be destroyed in first round. Every now and then there may be an upset but generally there are VERY lopsided scores. Also amazes me that Lasalle is in with 1 win and 8 straight losses going in to the play-offs.
The D8 6 teams LaSalle beat out either had 1 or 2 wins, they lucked out being in their region. If they were D3, D4, D5, D6; they would not have made the playoffs; the only regions they make the playoffs is R8, & D7 regions R27 & R28 [They would have made it in R1 also, but everyone who is breathing makes it in D1]