St Thomas Aquinas Cancels Week 8 Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

How come they've fallen apart so fast? 3 years ago they won a playoff game, now STA can't even field a team?

Amazing. A once really good program. Numbers are down at some of these Saint schools, but bad hires and questionable administrators at a lot of schools bring down some of the very good.

Amazing. A once really good program. Numbers are down at some of these Saint schools, but bad hires and questionable administrators at a lot of schools bring down some of the very good.
It's covid. Lots of kids not entering the private high schools due to costs and aren't switching once they've gone a few years in a public school. Doesn't take much for many of these small schools to feel the pinch. Especially football teams that might have had high participation by percentage but few actual starter caliber players. Few key injuries and it's a train wreck

Bad hires, and the fact that the Canton area probably isn't big enough to house two catholics is at play here. It's been past time for the two to consolidate, too much pride on both sides to do what is right for the whole well roundedness of the student. STA has been grasping at straws to stay afloat from what i've heard. Realistically STA serves the smaller half of Stark, and the people in those communities seem to stay in their home communities more often than not.

Bad hires, and the fact that the Canton area probably isn't big enough to house two catholics is at play here. It's been past time for the two to consolidate, too much pride on both sides to do what is right for the whole well roundedness of the student. STA has been grasping at straws to stay afloat from what i've heard. Realistically STA serves the smaller half of Stark, and the people in those communities seem to stay in their home communities more often than not.
Agreed. The idea of building a new school in the middle is not feasible. The biggest population is on the west side of the county.

Suburban Canton high schools siphoning students from the already small number of students at the Catholics grade schools. Hoban, and to some extent SVsm, are getting a decent number of Stark County and southern Summit County students.

Suburban Canton high schools siphoning students from the already small number of students at the Catholics grade schools. Hoban, and to some extent SVsm, are getting a decent number of Stark County and southern Summit County students.
Hard for people to justify spending 10 grand on high school when the public high school is just as good and offers more than the private school.

Publics aren't as good in most cases. Public schools are getting worse and worse as a matter of fact.
No what's making everything worse is everyone has to have an opinion on everything even if they have no knowledge. Also, the fact that we ignore people who would be considered experts because our social media bubble says otherwise, but hey let's not take it from people whose livelihood is being as knowledgeable about different arenas of life. (This goes for everything from medicine, to auto repair.) Or that people buy all the lies their tunnel vision media viewing sells them. 24 hour news and social media personalities make their money on getting your attention. The most likes, follows, and viewers equals more money. So they'll get you fired up and lie to you about litter boxes in school bathrooms and people will rant about it. Even though, if you stop and think, it's totally ridiculous to think that happens. It also isn't true. But hey keep em coming back for more.

Then we have this mentality of trying to keep our kids from ever experiencing adversity. Parents, guardians, whoever is raising kids by and large are quick to coddle and its hurting society.

Add in the hyper individualism, its all about me and my thoughts and feelings. Its a shame because it kills the community aspect to create good schools and communities, which trickle up the ladder.

Finally accountability, it's not existent and will continue that way as long as we coddle and soften as a society.

Teddy Roosevelt talked about material comforts weakening us, and that strife is needed to sharpen ourselves and achieve greatness (this is summarized from a few of his quotes.) But we try to avoid it.

This stuff and tribalism, it's making us dumber and weaker.

But yeah public schools are worse than ever right? If they are it's a reflection of us as a society.

End rant haha.

Jaws you really got me thinking. Honestly, I feel like private schools have the ability to give more structure and discipline because they don't have to take everyone, but I could be wrong.

No what's making everything worse is everyone has to have an opinion on everything even if they have no knowledge. Also, the fact that we ignore people who would be considered experts because our social media bubble says otherwise, but hey let's not take it from people whose livelihood is being as knowledgeable about different arenas of life. (This goes for everything from medicine, to auto repair.) Or that people buy all the lies their tunnel vision media viewing sells them. 24 hour news and social media personalities make their money on getting your attention. The most likes, follows, and viewers equals more money. So they'll get you fired up and lie to you about litter boxes in school bathrooms and people will rant about it. Even though, if you stop and think, it's totally ridiculous to think that happens. It also isn't true. But hey keep em coming back for more.

Then we have this mentality of trying to keep our kids from ever experiencing adversity. Parents, guardians, whoever is raising kids by and large are quick to coddle and its hurting society.

Add in the hyper individualism, its all about me and my thoughts and feelings. Its a shame because it kills the community aspect to create good schools and communities, which trickle up the ladder.

Finally accountability, it's not existent and will continue that way as long as we coddle and soften as a society.

Teddy Roosevelt talked about material comforts weakening us, and that strife is needed to sharpen ourselves and achieve greatness (this is summarized from a few of his quotes.) But we try to avoid it.

This stuff and tribalism, it's making us dumber and weaker.

But yeah public schools are worse than ever right? If they are it's a reflection of us as a society.

End rant haha.

Jaws you really got me thinking. Honestly, I feel like private schools have the ability to give more structure and discipline because they don't have to take everyone, but I could be wrong.
Your reference to Teddy is poetic and literally and painfully true. I could not agree more. When it comes to publics and privates, it is about the parents. If they have been engaged with their kids lives then the childs' personal result will most likely be prosperous regardless of the type of school attended.

Publics aren't as good in most cases. Public schools are getting worse and worse as a matter of fact.
There's a minimum of 3 school systems in Stark and probably more like 5 that are just as good of options as CCC or STA. I completely disagree with you.. I think public schools were a far worse option years ago but have caught up and even surpassed some private schools with the amount of resources they can offer compared to their private counterpart.

Last edited:
I would take a lot of public schools like South Range, etc over most private schools, I am not biased because my parents and most of my family graduated from Cardinal Mooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.