Springfield (2-3) at Fairmont (3-2)

Fairmont numbers are up from when before Dave got there. They have won wayyyyy more games with Dave. I know Creek is not a good example but when they ran the triple with Clod and the beginning 4-5 years with Black they were good. They have been spread the past few years and it looks not so good.

I am not arguing what Offense that Fairmont should run because it will not impact me as a person but I can show you proof that they are more competetive and win more games with Dave. They had multiple coaches from 09-15.

I like to debate with facts over opinions. Everyone can have their own opinon.

Kids like winning.
There numbers are up but can you explain to me why they can't win on the big stage or even get the best athletes out because being under .500 is not winning on a consistent basis. And you're correct somewhat, kids like winning but most kids/parents like the least path of resistance and that's a fact.

Spread offense isn’t for everyone. Also not everyone is a state caliber team it takes a lot to go into that. People are also assuming they don’t get their “best” athletes out not everyone is a football player just like everyone isn’t a basketball player. Fairmont of today is in a much better place then it was 10 years ago

There numbers are up but can you explain to me why they can't win on the big stage or even get the best athletes out because being under .500 is not winning on a consistent basis. And you're correct somewhat, kids like winning but most kids/parents like the least path of resistance and that's a fact.

Fairmont beat the 2nd Best D1 team in the state last year. Springfield beat them in the playoffs but they showed up in the regular season game. They played well in the playoff game but Springfield was by far the better team. If Fairmont runs spread they lose bt 35 in that game.

What do you mean "least pay of resistance"? Do you mean they like to win easily? No offense but that doesn't happen in the GWOC unless you are Springfield now.

Beating Alter and Lasalle are huge wins last year.

I am not sure what your expectations are but they seam unrealistic...

Spread offense isn’t for everyone. Also not everyone is a state caliber team it takes a lot to go into that. People are also assuming they don’t get their “best” athletes out not everyone is a football player just like everyone isn’t a basketball player. Fairmont of today is in a much better place then it was 10 years ago
Thank you for understanding and knowning football. I think his expectations is to compete for state each year. Fairmont is competetive in most games with Dave. Before Dave, Creek use to beat them or be close on a yearly basis.

Fairmont beat the 2nd Best D1 team in the state last year. Springfield beat them in the playoffs but they showed up in the regular season game. They played well in the playoff game but Springfield was by far the better team. If Fairmont runs spread they lose bt 35 in that game.

What do you mean "least pay of resistance"? Do you mean they like to win easily? No offense but that doesn't happen in the GWOC unless you are Springfield now.

Thanks for correcting me but I meant to say the least path of resistance and I mean that a lot kids/people want to win but are not willing to do what it takes to win or the parents won't allow the coaches to push their kids to the point where they can win consistently.

My question to you is how do you define winning? My definition of winning is winning in the long-term consistently or always contending or making a deep run for a title for example, not just winning the league but state/national titles and not mythically.
Or not just winning in the short-term, example regular season games like you mentioned, because I guarantee you when the kids got to play in the final game of the year in Ohio, they were not worried about a regular season loss to Fairmont.

And I'm also glad you brought up that the numbers are up which proves that most of the time it's coaching not the kids.

Some of us are old enough to remember Glen Mason as coach at Minnesota. He took them from doormat (16-39 the five years before he got there) to making a bowl game every year. But after a few years of success, suddenly "just" being 64-57 wasn't good enough, so he got fired. Minnesota went out hired Tim Brewster to "take them to the next level," and he promptly 15-30 in his four years.

As the famous philosopher "Dirty" Harry Callahan once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Thanks for correcting me but I meant to say the least path of resistance and I mean that a lot kids/people want to win but are not willing to do what it takes to win or the parents won't allow the coaches to push their kids to the point where they can win consistently.

My question to you is how do you define winning? My definition of winning is winning in the long-term consistently or always contending or making a deep run for a title for example, not just winning the league but state/national titles and not mythically.
Or not just winning in the short-term, example regular season games like you mentioned, because I guarantee you when the kids got to play in the final game of the year in Ohio, they were not worried about a regular season loss to Fairmont.
Can you name a school that is public that has long-term consistently winning and making deep run for state titles? I can only think of Marion Local and Versalles. If you have another school, please let me know. I would love to be a fan.

Do you see what Wayne did with Minton? He made multiple runs and they got rid of him; I know for a fact they regret that decision. The grass isn't always greener.

Fairmont numbers are up from when before Dave got there. They have won wayyyyy more games with Dave. I know Creek is not a good example but when they ran the triple with Clod and the beginning 4-5 years with Black they were good. They have been spread the past few years and it looks not so good.

I am not arguing what Offense that Fairmont should run because it will not impact me as a person but I can show you proof that they are more competetive and win more games with Dave. They had multiple coaches from 09-15.

I like to debate with facts over opinions. Everyone can have their own opinon.

Kids like winning.
I respect the man and he gets the kids to buy in and gets them to work for everything. I don't think their numbers are up that much. As for what Zezzo said there have been a few athletes that have started playing football and ended up strictly b-ball because of that offense, (4 of the seniors on last year's b-ball team played football at skill positions over the years before high school) as well as kids that have left Fairmont or just stopped playing. I don't think they have the same caliber of athletes as Wayne, SHS, and Centerville overall, but they have lost some kids who wouild have helped.

I know first hand the majority of the kids hate that offense. They do like winning but they would also like to beat a Wayne, SHS. and Cville on a regular basis. He gets the one guaranteed win a year against creek. Northmont can go either way but they usually lose to them. Usually beats Miamisburg and Springboro goes either way. I have been to enough of their games to realize some things. Lots of their wins come off of big defensive turnovers giving them a short field, special teams, trick plays and they need a big run of 20+ yards on a drive of else that offense will stall out.

It is basically the Marvin Lewis deal. It is better than what you had but still frustrating.

And no way would I suggest they go to a spread offense. They don't have the guys and never will. Like I said before they could at least go 90% run and 10% pass, not 99%-100% run.

Last edited:
Some of us are old enough to remember Glen Mason as coach at Minnesota. He took them from doormat (16-39 the five years before he got there) to making a bowl game every year. But after a few years of success, suddenly "just" being 64-57 wasn't good enough, so he got fired. Minnesota went out hired Tim Brewster to "take them to the next level," and he promptly 15-30 in his four years.

As the famous philosopher "Dirty" Harry Callahan once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Nebraska did the same thing back in the early 2000s with Solich. He was 33-15 but not as good as Osborn and now look at Nebraska.

Or Nebraska under Pelini

I respect the man and he gets the kids to buy in and gets them to work for everything. I don't think their numbers are up that much. As for what Zezzo said there have been a few athletes that have started playing football and ended up strictly b-ball because of that offense, (4 of the seniors on last year's b-ball team played football at skill positions over the years before high school) as well as kids that have left Fairmont or just stopped playing. I don't think they have the same caliber of athletes as Wayne, SHS, and Centerville overall, but they have lost some kids who wouild have helped.

I know first hand the majority of the kids hate that offense. They do like winning but they would also like to beat a Wayne, SHS. and Cville on a regular basis. He gets the one guaranteed win a year against creek. Northmont can go either way but they usually lose to them. Usually beats Miamisburg and Springboro goes either way. I have been to enough of their games to realize some things. Lots of their wins come off of big defensive turnovers giving them a short field, special teams, trick plays and they need a big run of 20+ yards on a drive of else that offense will stall out.

It is basically the Marvin Lewis deal. It is better than what you had but still frustrating.
I respect that but this guy seems a little wild with his takes about State titles.

Fairmont is not a school that will make state runs in football. They will compete in the GWOC. They will beat Wayne, Centerville and SHS once every couple of years and do well against other schools. They play great defense but their offense allows their defense to be fresh.

I respect that but this guy seems a little wild with his takes about State titles.

Fairmont is not a school that will make state runs in football. They will compete in the GWOC. They will beat Wayne, Centerville and SHS once every couple of years and do well against other schools. They play great defense but their offense allows their defense to be fresh.
No if they get one or two playoff wins its a great year for them. One state run would be an insane thing to happen. Last year was his best chance he had at winning the GWOC since he has been there. Looks like this group of Freshman may give him another chance in a few years. However I never count on a freshman class too much stuff can happen in the next three years.

Can you name a school that is public that has long-term consistently winning and making deep run for state titles? I can only think of Marion Local and Versalles. If you have another school, please let me know. I would love to be a fan.

Do you see what Wayne did with Minton? He made multiple runs and they got rid of him; I know for a fact they regret that decision. The grass isn't always greener.
Yes, several. I'll even name some GWOC schools to start. The aforementioned schools you mentioned, they haven't won the state however, they're consistently in the playoffs - Centerville, Wayne, Springfield, Springboro even Northmont. Those schools have the same type athletes Fairmont has maybe with the exception of Sfield. Trotwood is on a 16-year playoff run including several state titles. Even Piqua has had frequent playoff appearances and state title in the last 20 years, Tippecanoe is on a 10-12 year playoff run. Those are a few but I could give more examples. All you have to do is pay attention.

In the case of Wayne, I believe they've been in the playoffs every year maybe except one since Minton's been gone so the consistency is there and I can't tell you when the last time Wayne had a losing record.

And before you get excited I know Fairmont beat Wayne in the playoffs last year but there is no reason Fairmont can't be a perennial playoff team making a deep run every year but not being one dimensional. Open the offense even more kids.

I disagree. It may take a while and everyone has to buy in including the community, school board, parents and teachers but it can happen. Your basketball team was 2 games from reaching the Final 4 two years ago so why can't the football team? The girls basketball team was one strongest in the state for years so there's no excuse. Get the right coach in there that's the right fit and allow him to coach and it will happen. Problem is I guarantee you everyone won't be on the same page.

Yes, several. I'll even name some GWOC schools to start. The aforementioned schools you mentioned, they haven't won the state however, they're consistently in the playoffs - Centerville, Wayne, Springfield, Springboro even Northmont. Those schools have the same type athletes Fairmont has maybe with the exception of Sfield. Trotwood is on a 16-year playoff run including several state titles. Even Piqua has had frequent playoff appearances and state title in the last 20 years, Tippecanoe is on a 10-12 year playoff run. Those are a few but I could give more examples. All you have to do is pay attention.

In the case of Wayne, I believe they've been in the playoffs every year maybe except one since Minton's been gone so the consistency is there and I can't tell you when the last time Wayne had a losing record.

And before you get excited I know Fairmont beat Wayne in the playoffs last year but there is no reason Fairmont can't be a perennial playoff team making a deep run every year but not being one dimensional. Open the offense even more kids.
You said compete for state titles.
TM is the only one I can think that Does that. Before Moe, Springfield was not good. After Minton, Wayne hasn’t been to the third round. Tipp and Piqua make sweet 16 runs occasionally.
You said consistently makes state title runs. There are not many of those.
Boro and Northmont never do that.
TM was average the past few years. They are good again.
Making the playoffs in D1 is a joke now. Creek might make the playoffs this year.
Come on man!

And I'm also glad you brought up that the numbers are up which proves that most of the time it's coaching not the kids.
Read it here brother!

you said State/Nationals Titles

what’s your definition of a deep run?

Read my post again
I read it again…I’m not sure what you are talking about. The schools mentioned above do not make deep runs consistently in D1. The smaller schools make deep runs. But comparing to GWOC schools- Springfield has been consistently recently and that’s it. But that’s 4-5 years. You want Fairmont to be a D1 powerhouse that’s never happened besides Cville in the 80s and 90s.

What happened to Almighty Springfield last year at home ranked 18th in the nation … oh yea we talked about that last week. You LOST TO THE TRIPLE

or will we get the same refs the help them get over Fairmont in the playoffs? Those refs did everything they could to help Springfield get in the end zone at the end of the first half. Without the refs that offense was severely struggling that night.
interesting indeed
Why are you telling me this? This is a very good example of someone like you starting a nonsense, useless, boring, trash talk thread. If it makes any difference at all, I don't give a s*** what you think about SHS, their football program, their offense, the refs or what happened in any given game. How about this. Why don't you direct useless, nonsensical posts to someone else who might care what you think? Perhaps another SHS fan like CFIK or catscatscats would like to discuss with you? Or, maybe Dayride who shares your desire to flood Yappi with useless, nonsensical posts? Or better yet, how about contacting Coach Douglass and his staff and the SHS AD directly to ask them for a response to your stupid questions? In the unlikely event they are interested in your thoughts, they are in the best position to respond to you. Anyways, please leave me out of it as I really don't care what you think about SHS. Thank you for your cooperation. Goodbye.

You could be right. Miller did say they were planning on resting a bunch of kids before they play the winning teams in the GWOC in the next cpl of weeks.
Sounds like the same coaching strategy he used when they got shutout in last year's playoffs. Keep Coach Miller!

Kirtland? Coldwater? There are more...

You give Fairmont too much credit. Every year the past few years, Springfield always lost a regular season game they probably should have won. The past 4 years, they had 1 regular season loss like that, i.e., Fairfield loss by 4 points, Northmont loss in OT, Miamisburg loss by 1 point and Fairmont by 3 points. After each loss, they didn't lose again and won the Region. They were gonna get upset by someone and it happened to be Fairmont last year. No biggie.

Kirtland? Coldwater? There are more...
We were talking about Dayton area.

Coldwater for sure but I mean the D1 schools. I apologize for not including them. I should have said GWOC schools because he acts like all the GWOC schools make deep runs but they don’t. And they definitely aren’t consistent besides Springfield recently.

You give Fairmont too much credit. Every year the past few years, Springfield always lost a regular season game they probably should have won. The past 4 years, they had 1 regular season loss like that, i.e., Fairfield loss by 4 points, Northmont loss in OT, Miamisburg loss by 1 point and Fairmont by 3 points. After each loss, they didn't lose again and won the Region. They were gonna get upset by someone and it happened to be Fairmont last year. No biggie.
No. I am not saying that Fairmont was better or that Springfield sucks. I’m just stating the reason Fairmont was in that game was because they limited the amount of possessions and won the game at the end. That’s why the triple works for some teams. Fairmont is wayyyyy less skilled than Springfield last year but they used their advantage (Offensive Line) and power football to their advantage.
If Fairmont lined up in 4-5 WR and threw the ball against Springfield, it would be her ugly.

PC advanced to State 5 years in a row thru 2021. I think they won the D1 state title twice, and were state runner-up. That's a pretty incredible feat for a public school in Ohio.

We had two full pages of actual football debate:talk and then you show up with your “zingers.”

I get that every village needs its idiot but you are taking that job way too serious.
The phrase actual football debate is a joke coming from you. Btw, this is another example of you starting useless, nonsensical trash talk threads. How about this, you stop making posts of any kind directed at me and I will reciprocate that? If you're really concerned about "actual football debate," you'll agree by not replying to this.

Last edited: