Softball Rules Discussion

My first question:

Offensive team takes a timeout to discuss strategy. Can the defensive coach go to the mound and talk with the pitcher without being charged with a trip to the mound?

I don't know the answer for sure, but I know when the defensive coach goes to the mound the offensive coach almost always meets with the batter and the base runners. I guess worst case the maybe the pitcher could go to the coach, instead of the coach going to the pitcher. Interesting question.

My first question:

Offensive team takes a timeout to discuss strategy. Can the defensive coach go to the mound and talk with the pitcher without being charged with a trip to the mound?

Provided the defense is ready to play when the offense is ready to play, then I think it is yes. The reason it works the other way (defense requests time for a conference), is that the offense can see the defensive coach leaving the field and can be ready to play before the coach is off the field.

There may be a gray area where the defensive conference breaks at the same time the offensive conference breaks while the defensive coach leaves the field. I would imagine most umpires would allow that, and not charge a conference on the defense.

Had this call in a tournament over the weekend.

Runner on first. Second baseman knocks the ball down. Reaches out with her bare hand to pick up the ball. Reaches in the other direction with her gloved hand to touch 2nd base before the runner got there. Should have been a force out. Umpire said the ball must be in the glove to be an out. There was no convincing him that was the wrong call. Fortunately, didn't affect the outcome of the game.