Sidney won't give Josie Davis a banner because Girls isn't OHSAA

I was in Graham's wrestling room many years ago and they of course had large boards up of all the state placers, 1st place had all of the names on 1 board, same with 2nd through 7th. I noticed that there was no board for 8th place. I wondered if that was because no Graham wrestler had ever lost the 7th place match? or they just figured 8th wasn't quite good enough to get on their wall?

Don't stop at banners. How about a bronze statue? :unsure:
I get it. To date it’s not a “Sanctioned “ OHSAA event. Above you will see that the OHSAA had a helping hand in the event and I have heard that it may be sanctioned in coming years. If it promotes the sport, I am all about it! Is it a big deal? IMO yes. It should be for all the girls that compete in the event. I hope they all compete in both girls and boys state events. Up until the girls event is large enough to condone/ or clash with the boys state event. That’s when we can say wrestling is successful. With gender equality being an issue in today’s headlines, and the Olympic committee trying to throw our sport out of the Olympic Games, why wouldn’t we try to gain whatever ground/ backers we can?

I think they point is they could give her a banner if they wanted to, just like they could give a banner in, say, fencing. They chose not to and try to pass the buck on to it not being OHSAA.

Last i checked Sidney wasn't swimming in athletic championships. Give the girl a banner and move on.

Is the implication here that if the school had a rich athletic history, they should NOT put up the banner? ?

I'd be curious to know how the other schools that had young ladies win titles at this event are handling recognizing those athletes as well. Any one from another school aware of how they are handling the situation??

Side note: over the last 10-15 years there's been a number of state titles won by Sidney natives...

Stories like this need to be less sensational. She did not win a state title against all the boys in the state of Ohio at her weight class. Calling it the "first ever Ohio girls wrestling title" is misleading as hell. Was this to compete with the stories of a girl winning a state title in North Carolina at 106 pounds as a junior?

When I first saw this, I thought somebody had a DeLorean with a spare flex capacitor laying around and was moving around between the future and the past - since the OHSAA tournament in Ohio starts this weekend with the Sectionals being held across the state. Girls can compete in that tourney. This article highlights an accomplishment of sorts, but certainly not worthy of being called the "first ever" girls wrestling title. That would diminish from when it is actually accomplished by competitors from across the state in a state sponsored tourney - even if it is a separate girls tourney that I hope happens soon.

Am I missing the point here?
Yes

Is the implication here that if the school had a rich athletic history, they should NOT put up the banner? ?

I'd be curious to know how the other schools that had young ladies win titles at this event are handling recognizing those athletes as well. Any one from another school aware of how they are handling the situation??

Side note: over the last 10-15 years there's been a number of state titles won by Sidney natives...

like who? I’m not aware of any in the last 10 years at least, and only two in the last 25.

like who? I’m not aware of any in the last 10 years at least, and only two in the last 25.

Note Sidney "natives" the key word here.

Troy Christian's lineup has featured several (two Toals account for 5 titles, Jones, most recently Turner- Jacob Edwards was a runner up in 18)

If I'm not mistaken Graham had a Sarver a couple years back that way from Sidney. Currently Gessler and Neeves have roots in Shelby County and are featured in the Falcon's lineup.

Note Sidney "natives" the key word here.

Troy Christian's lineup has featured several (two Toals account for 5 titles, Jones, most recently Turner- Jacob Edwards was a runner up in 18)

If I'm not mistaken Graham had a Sarver a couple years back that way from Sidney. Currently Gessler and Neeves have roots in Shelby County and are featured in the Falcon's lineup.
It would be awesome if Sidney hung banners in their gym recognizing open enrollment athletes who go elsewhere.

Strange how giving someone
It would be awesome if Sidney hung banners in their gym recognizing open enrollment athletes who go elsewhere.
Great idea. In exchange, the OE schools would only hang banners for kids born and raised in the community where the school is located.

Strange how giving someone
Great idea. In exchange, the OE schools would only hang banners for kids born and raised in the community where the school is located.
That'd be fine, other than the "kids born" rule. Sometimes kids have to move because of their parents, believe it or not!

Lol I didn't mean to start a debate on transfers: just noting that Sidney doesn't appear to have an issue producing talent (as implied by the comment "last I checked Sidney wasn't swimming in athletic championships"), they just haven't been able to retain a lot of it, at least on the mat.

Kudos to Josie for her title. For what it's worth, if that's the "most recognized" organizing body in Ohio for girls wrestling, it seems completely reasonable to me that they would put a banner up for her ?

go to 120
I get it. To date it’s not a “Sanctioned “ OHSAA event. Above you will see that the OHSAA had a helping hand in the event and I have heard that it may be sanctioned in coming years. If it promotes the sport, I am all about it! Is it a big deal? IMO yes. It should be for all the girls that compete in the event. I hope they all compete in both girls and boys state events. Up until the girls event is large enough to condone/ or clash with the boys state event. That’s when we can say wrestling is successful. With gender equality being an issue in today’s headlines, and the Olympic committee trying to throw our sport out of the Olympic Games, why wouldn’t we try to gain whatever ground/ backers we can?
The State Indoor Track and Field Meet has been going on for what... 15 years?! We’ve had numerous individuals place very high in the state, yet no banner with our other sports. It is sponsored by the Coaches Association OATCCC. I do not expect banners for non- OHSAA sports.

I wonder why she wrestles 120 during the year and boys District, but wrestled the girls state at 126?
I am curious...not being a smart