Should the term "Yankee" be stricken from our language?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
OK, my real motive is to make the hated New York Yankees change their name but there is some precedent being set right now with all the people offended by derogatory names. "Yankee" is a derisive term which refers to all Northerners, or specifically to those from the region of New England. Why are we using such a derogatory name used by Confederates? If we tear down their statues, we should tear down their name-calling!

As someone with Irish family history, we probably should get rid of "Fighting Irish" too!

Smh...

When I was growing up my dad's dark Italian buddy's nickname was "Blacky." A pasty white Irish dude from the neighborhood was dubbed "Whitey." One guy was referred to as "Hunky Steve" because he was, you guessed it, Hungarian. Another guy was dubbed "Joe Mamma" because he had so many kids. Fat kid I played football with was "Peaches." Another was named "Bootsy" because he had a fat arse. One guy was nicknamed "Ditto" because he did everything his older brother did. There was even a "Bobo" because he acted like a clown all the time. Everyone referred to these people as such and no one ever batted an eye.

I miss those days. :cry:

Back on point I hate the Yankees as much as any baseball fan but that name is as American as Apple Pie.

Reactions: y2h
OK, my real motive is to make the hated New York Yankees change their name but there is some precedent being set right now with all the people offended by derogatory names. "Yankee" is a derisive term which refers to all Northerners, or specifically to those from the region of New England. Why are we using such a derogatory name used by Confederates? If we tear down their statues, we should tear down their name-calling!

As someone with Irish family history, we probably should get rid of "Fighting Irish" too!
Yes

I get a chuckle thinking about the movie "God Is My Co-Pilot", where the Japanese pilot Tokyo Joe keeps taunting Robert Scott over the radio and always referring to him as "Yank", then Scott says "Don't call me Yank - I'm from Georgia!"

When I lived in the South, I was called a Yankee countless times (I don't think I have a particularly heavy accent, but "Great Lakes vowels" are really conspicuous to Gulf Coast ears, so it was pretty obvious where I came from), and mayyyybe a handful of those had any malice whatsoever involved (even when accounting for "Southern politeness"). It's a real stretch to try to force an equivalency here.

Well, Bless Your Heart......

Smh...

When I was growing up my dad's dark Italian buddy's nickname was "Blacky." A pasty white Irish dude from the neighborhood was dubbed "Whitey." One guy was referred to as "Hunky Steve" because he was, you guessed it, Hungarian. Another guy was dubbed "Joe Mamma" because he had so many kids. Fat kid I played football with was "Peaches." Another was named "Bootsy" because he had a fat arse. One guy was nicknamed "Ditto" because he did everything his older brother did. There was even a "Bobo" because he acted like a clown all the time. Everyone referred to these people as such and no one ever batted an eye.

I miss those days. :cry:

Back on point I hate the Yankees as much as any baseball fan but that name is as American as Apple Pie.

We use to be able to laugh at each other and ourselves. Now everything is a percieved slight to be offended over.

About time ND recognized the "Black Irish"*

Black Irish refers to descendants of the Spanish Armada survivors that shipwrecked off of Ireland.
There's a lot of speculation about where the term Black Irish originated but the Spanish Armada theory has been mostly debunked.

There's a lot of speculation about where the term Black Irish originated but the Spanish Armada theory has been mostly debunked.

That's what me Irish grandmother told me, are you calling my Grand ma a liar? ;)
Actually, Black Irish has many possible uses, some derogatory, some descriptive over the centuries.

I thought it had to do with the colors of the uniform of the men recruited during the 20s in northern Ireland. I remember some rowdy sing-songs at Irish dos.