Shaquille O'Neal Says He and Charles Barkley's Moms Had to Intervene After 1999 On-Court Fight

hubman

'This is Charles' mom and your mom's on the phone too.' " O'Neal recalled. "I was like, 'Yes ma'am, how are you?' She said, 'Y'all need to stop. I already talked to Charles. He's gonna meet you in the hallway. Y'all need to stop and hug. Y'all are two of the greatest players in the world, we don't want y'all fighting in front of the kids, y'all stop that.' "

That's fantastic. I remember Charles demanding to cover Shaq when the others on his team couldn't guard him. Charles got more out of 6'5" than anyone. I remember watching him in college absolutely abuse "Dinner Bell" Mel Turpin.

6'5 might be generous. Charles is usually an afterthought because he played at a time with so many greats but he was phenomenal. To watch his game change from mainly a post/rebound scorer for the Sixers to a well-rounded shooter for the Suns was incredibly fun. One of the best and most overlooked pros of all time.

And Shaq? Forget it. He was Lebron before Lebron in the sense that he was so dominant that people took for granted how dominant he was. Much like Lebron, he left several MVPs on the table because it just became "cool" to give it to someone else.

6'5 might be generous. Charles is usually an afterthought because he played at a time with so many greats but he was phenomenal. To watch his game change from mainly a post/rebound scorer for the Sixers to a well-rounded shooter for the Suns was incredibly fun. One of the best and most overlooked pros of all time.
Barkley was my favorite player growing up after DR. J retired, was crushed when him and the Suns loss to Jordan in the Finals!

This is great. Reminds me of a time me and one of my neighbors who was one of my best friends got into a fight. My mom walked me down there grabbing my arm the whole way until I apologized.

Don't mess with Moms.

More to the point is how black men respect their mothers in their presence. Having grown up with lots of black friends in Warren, one thing I can attest to is the respectful and polite demeanor black guys have when engaging their moms. It’s “Yes, Ma’am, no Ma’am, etc” with no uncertainty, in my experience. Once mom isn’t around, it’s another story of course lol.

Don't mess with Aunts either.
39830f4edab93fe1606d2a56e0ae5dec_w200.gif