Recreational Marijuana in Ohio

Love how the so called freedom lovers have become the "can't do this can't do that" party.

I'm almost 60 but I am "not allowed" to do what most teenagers do, and what most teenagers did clear back when I was a teenager. Lol. Whatever.
This is all about individual rights and we do have DWI laws for anyone who abuses pot smoking if it does become legal. I smoked pot and drank alcohol when I was younger. Smoked a joint or couple of hits on the bong and I felt good, guess that is a bad thing. Never had a hangover from smoking pot. Never became addicted nor did any of my friends who smoked it, but I do know people who are addicted to alcohol and cigarettes. I trust most Americans to do the right thing and handle MJ smoking responsibly. Should we ban alcohol because some people abuse it, once again either you believe in individual rights or you don't, there is no in between. Don't compare heroin to MJ not even close to the same thing.

This is all about individual rights and we do have DWI laws for anyone who abuses pot smoking if it does become legal. I smoked pot and drank alcohol when I was younger. Smoked a joint or couple of hits on the bong and I felt good, guess that is a bad thing. Never had a hangover from smoking pot. Never became addicted nor did any of my friends who smoked it, but I do know people who are addicted to alcohol and cigarettes. I trust most Americans to do the right thing and handle MJ smoking responsibly. Should we ban alcohol because some people abuse it, once again either you believe in individual rights or you don't, there is no in between. Don't compare heroin to MJ not even close to the same thing.

The dirty little secret is it ain't about controlling you or me, but more about a certain demographic(s).

Equal usage but 4 times the arrest rate - tough to give that up.

I frankly have 0.2% level of "give a damn" if I got caught and ditto my kids frankly. To your other point yes, our rule is Thou Shalt Not Drive Under the Influence of Either (but frankly I'd be more upset about the BAC > 1% or the open container).

Last edited:
It looks as if, one out of every ten houses, someone is a weed smoker, Most are good at hiding it, I have been self employed 16 years now, in lawn and landscaping, some of the people I have met, I would have never thought of them being a weed smoker,
It’s actually still illegal to smoke pot in Ohio. The medical pot is supposed to be cooked in a vaporizer if it’s flower, not smoked. I think alot of medical pot users eat gummies or use different concentrates.

The legalizers have their talking points.

I have a grave I visit.

One of those is theoretical. The other is a harsh reality.

I had a sister (not the same as losing a son or daughter) killed by a young driver who went left of center, was he drinking possibly but back in the early 60's, cops did not check that like they do today. If the accident you are referring to involving your child happened in Ohio the kid (responsible for the accident) got the drugs illegally and that's the thing, young people are going to get pot regardless if it is legal or not. This way it will be regulated, and a person knows what they are getting, pot nothing laced with it. People are killed every day by drunken drivers, should we ban alcohol? No because the US tried that, and it failed miserably. Will some people abuse pot yes as people some abuse alcohol but I have done both and alcohol is by far the worse sin. Plus pot does have medical benefits for people suffering from chronic pain, alcohol even though it does kill pain is not recommended for medical purposes. FWIW, I do feel sorry for your loss.
The legalizers have their talking points.

I have a grave I visit.

One of those is theoretical. The other is a harsh reality.

Last edited:

The latest worrisome study, released earlier this month, was conducted by researchers at the U.S. National Institutes of Health and at the National Institute on Drug Abuse and Mental Health Services in the Capital Region of Denmark. Its most compelling finding is that “as many as 30% of cases of schizophrenia among men aged 21-30 might have been prevented by averting cannabis use disorder."

Schizophrenia, defined by the National Institutes of Mental Health, is “a mental disorder characterized by disruptions in thought processes, perceptions, emotional responsiveness, and social interactions ... Schizophrenia is typically persistent and can be both severe and disabling.”

It can be triggered by heavy pot use when it might otherwise not develop at all.

“The entanglement of substance use disorders and mental illnesses is a major public health issue, requiring urgent action and support for people who need it,” said NIDA Director and study coauthor Nora Volkow.

The existence of a link between marijuana use and schizophrenia has been known for decades, but the new study not only reaffirms the connection but also shows the problem’s growing severity, especially among young men. It blames the “increasing prevalence” of the problem on the “higher potency of cannabis” typically used today compared to typical street marijuana half a century ago.

I had a sister (not the same as losing a son or daughter) killed by a young driver who went left of center, was he drinking possibly but back in the early 60's, cops did not check that like they do today. If the accident you are referring to involving your child happened in Ohio the kid (responsible for the accident) got the drugs illegally and that's the thing, young people are going to get pot regardless if it is legal or not. This way it will be regulated, and a person knows what they are getting, pot nothing laced with it. People are killed every day by drunken drivers, should we ban alcohol? No because the US tried that, and it failed miserably. Will some people abuse pot yes as people some abuse alcohol but I have done both and alcohol is by far the worse sin. Plus pot does have medical benefits for people suffering from chronic pain, alcohol even though it does kill pain is not recommended for medical purposes. FWIW, I do feel sorry for your loss.
I hear you, but the rebuttal to the alcohol comparison argument is to ask whether we need more legal intoxicants in society?

Certainly, if you make something illegal, there are costs associated with that. I counter that the cost that is never calculated is the cultural values cost associated with legalization. What we tolerate and allow is a tacit endorsement of that thing. In this case we have a product that is a gateway drug, is addictive, and causes a high rate of psychosis. Is this what we want to adopt as part of our community, state, and national ethos? I dont.

Michigan border dispensaries hope Ohio and Indiana never approve recreational. If you ever been to one, you would understand why I made that statement.

Booze also ravages your organs. You know nothing of what you speak.
Why shouldn't all drugs be legalized? It's your body. Fentanyl, Heroine and Pcp just to name a few. Have open Apothecaries that dispense any drug available for profit. Think of the tax money.

If you drink to excess over many years. Having a couple drinks occasionally ravages nothing.
How many young people only drink a couple of drinks at a party? People who never smoked pot don't understand is you only need to smoke 1 joint to feel good no need to get stoned. Plus, pot is too expensive or at least it use to be to overindulge in, compared to alcohol.
Why shouldn't all drugs be legalized? It's your body. Fentanyl, Heroine and Pcp just to name a few. Have open Apothecaries that dispense any drug available for profit. Think of the tax money.

Don't be an idiot, fentanyl kills thousands of Americans every year, and even though 48 million Americans used pot in 2019 according to the CDC, couldn't find any stats on pot overdose deaths. Again will some people abuse pot smoking unfortunately yes, but I would rather have a young adult smoking real weed from a store than weed from a back alley that could be laced with something but comparing pot to fentanyl or heroin is just being a troll.

Ditto prescription drugs too right? No, because some are too dangerous. Pot is not. Very common recreational use for decades and very few, if any, known overdoses. I think common sense can be applied to the debate.

Don't be an idiot, fentanyl kills thousands of Americans every year, and even though 48 million Americans used pot in 2019 according to the CDC, couldn't find any stats on pot overdose deaths. Again will some people abuse pot smoking unfortunately yes, but I would rather have a young adult smoking real weed from a store than weed from a back alley that could be laced with something but comparing pot to fentanyl or heroin is just being a troll.
Why should I or anyone care what people put into their bodies? If you die you die. Young adults can make their own decisions. No? What are the limits? Let's unleash this issue. Say yes to Drugs

I hear you, but the rebuttal to the alcohol comparison argument is to ask whether we need more legal intoxicants in society?

Certainly, if you make something illegal, there are costs associated with that. I counter that the cost that is never calculated is the cultural values cost associated with legalization. What we tolerate and allow is a tacit endorsement of that thing. In this case we have a product that is a gateway drug, is addictive, and causes a high rate of psychosis. Is this what we want to adopt as part of our community, state, and national ethos? I dont.

I take it you think we erred in legalizing alcohol and tobacco? And now it is too late? Is that your take? Just asking.