Pop, Soda, Coke, or Soda-Pop? What do you refer to it as?

Just wondering as far as your personal term for a “carbonated drinking beverage”: What word or term do you usually use for it? Would you say for example: “Hey man, can you hand me a POP please”? Or would you say “Hey, can I get a Soda”? Or would you call it a Coke or a Soda-Pop? I hear the Coke thing is mostly all down south in southern states: They’ll ask you like “Hi, what kind of Coke will you be having today?” Even if it’s a Sprite or Mountain Dew: They will still refer to everything as “Coke”?

I’m in Colorado, from what I’ve observed I’ve heard mostly “Pop” so far from being here. I’m pretty sure most Ohioans use Pop as well. What’s your opinion or take on the topic? Would you call your drink a “Pop” “Soda” “Coke” or “Soda Pop”???

I stil say Coke. My uncle worked for Coke and we were a Coke family. The first time I remember hearing Pop was when my new next door neighbors moved in and asked if we wanted a Pop.

I'm from Dayton, so its called pop.

Back in the day (the seventies), Dayton was a huge Pepsi town, due to a Pepsi bottling facility being in Dayton. Not so much anymore though. You couldn't drive down Wayne Avenue in the summer without seeing some skinny shirtless teen wearing blue jeans with a 16 oz. glass bottle of Pepsi in his hand.

Grew up saying 'pop'. Wife came originally from the east coast, so she said 'soda'. These days, I flip flop between the two, but we don't drink much pop/soda anymore, so it's not something we talk about much.

It’s Pop. I grew up in Western Pa but haven‘t lived there since the early 80s. I still say pop..anywhere in the country people know what you mean.

Now however when I tell people I’m going to “red up my house” or get me a “gum band” I get a few questioning looks.😉

I’ve heard also some people outside of America use the term: “Fizzy Drink” when referring to a Pop. That’s a new one I’m going to try saying: Just to see what peoples reactions are to me calling their beverages: “Fizzy Drinks”.

Will always be pop for me. From western PA and northeast Ohio. I know Coke is ubiquitous in the south though Coca-Cola has made strides to stop people from using it as a general term because like Xerox, etc, they could conceivably lose the trademark if they don't.

Soda is an east coast thing, mostly. I don't know anywhere I've heard someone call it Soda-Pop unless they were being purposefully pretentious.

Never understood calling it Coke. If you’re a server that refers to pop/soda as Coke do you ask, “what kind of coke do you want?” And if I want Coke do I respond regular?

Just wondering as far as your personal term for a “carbonated drinking beverage”: What word or term do you usually use for it? Would you say for example: “Hey man, can you hand me a POP please”? Or would you say “Hey, can I get a Soda”? Or would you call it a Coke or a Soda-Pop? I hear the Coke thing is mostly all down south in southern states: They’ll ask you like “Hi, what kind of Coke will you be having today?” Even if it’s a Sprite or Mountain Dew: They will still refer to everything as “Coke”?

I’m in Colorado, from what I’ve observed I’ve heard mostly “Pop” so far from being here. I’m pretty sure most Ohioans use Pop as well. What’s your opinion or take on the topic? Would you call your drink a “Pop” “Soda” “Coke” or “Soda Pop”???
SOFT DRINKS. Because IF I were to ask for a COKE at the HOG PEN, I'd get a dirty look, since all we serve is PEPSI products. And as for the SOUTH. I suggest that you NOT use the term POP, or you MAY get your wish on your coconut!

Last edited:
Never understood calling it Coke. If you’re a server that refers to pop/soda as Coke do you ask, “what kind of coke do you want?” And if I want Coke do I respond regular?
We think that it's funny as Hell, that when you boys ask a patron in a diner, what do you want to drink? We say, we'd like a glass of TEA. And you bring what looks like a cup of coffee! SEEMS as though the only thing you serve with ice is WATER, in the FRICKIN SUMMER TIME! Or maybe an ICY POP! ***ROTFLMAO***

And WHO KNEW that a DAIRY QUEEN is only for ICE CREAM! It's a damn FULL SERVICE RESTAURANT where WE come from.

Last edited:
We think that it's funny as Hell, that when you boys ask a patron in a diner, what do you want to drink? We say, we'd like a glass of TEA. And you bring what looks like a cup of coffee! SEEMS as though the only thing you serve with ice is WATER, in the FRICKIN SUMMER TIME! Or maybe an ICY POP! ***ROTFLMAO***

Maybe 20 years ago. "Sweet tea" is different than iced tea, but different than 'tea'. You want sweet tea, even today, you say Sweet Tea
And WHO KNEW that a DAIRY QUEEN is only for ICE CREAM! It's a damn FULL SERVICE RESTAURANT where WE come from.
There's a ton of Dairy Queens in Ohio and PA that are JUST ice cream. One is just down the road from my house. It's just a walk-up ice cream stand with a pitiful drive-through. One in New Castle PA doesn't even have a drive-through. Just a traditional walk-up with some picnic tables. At best.

The ones with burgers, etc, are called "Dairy Queen Grill and Chill" or "DQ Brazier" If it's JUST Dairy Queen, it's ice cream only, basically.

Me: I'll have a coke.
Server: Is Pepsi ok?
Me: Sure.

Me: I'll have a Pepsi.
Server: Is Coke ok?

Me: I'll have a Cola.
Server: Is (Pepsi/Coke) ok?

Me: I'll have a cola, doesn't matter which.
Server: Ok sir.
Me: Thank You.

Maybe 20 years ago. "Sweet tea" is different than iced tea, but different than 'tea'. You want sweet tea, even today, you say Sweet Tea

There's a ton of Dairy Queens in Ohio and PA that are JUST ice cream. One is just down the road from my house. It's just a walk-up ice cream stand with a pitiful drive-through. One in New Castle PA doesn't even have a drive-through. Just a traditional walk-up with some picnic tables. At best.

The ones with burgers, etc, are called "Dairy Queen Grill and Chill" or "DQ Brazier" If it's JUST Dairy Queen, it's ice cream only, basically.
In Georgia, the ONLY type of these restaurants that we have are Dairy Queen Braziers. They serve cakes to order, ice creams of all types, milkshakes of all types and flavors. They also serve Fried Chicken boxes, chicken strips, about ten different types of hamburgers, single, double, and triple deckers, Bacon burgers, bacon cheese-burgers, chicken sammiches, BBQ sammiches, as well as many types of hotdogs. And they even have my FAV, a turkey club, with Freedom Fries, a big orange drank and a moonpie. Ya'll come see us now, ya heah. And JACK'S Southern Restaurant is even BETTER! You give um your critique about your visit at Jacks OR Micky D's. And they'll give you a free sammich for your trouble.

I live in a town of 3,200 people. And if EATIN is your thing. MY town is right for you. On main street alone, we have JACK'S, Micky D's, Chevy's Pizza, two Chinese Restaurants, two Mexican Restaurants, Dairy Queen, Subway, Krystal, Taco Bell, Zaxby's, Waffle House, Popeye's, Ole Clinton BBQ, Pizza Hut carry out, Marco's Pizza, three mom and pop restaurants, and Pickle Barrel Sports Bar. But NOOO diners. I only know of three in the entire STATE. And one is in Augusta, while another one is in Buckhead in Atlanta.

But the best kept secret in town MAYBE the INGLES Grocery Deli. They have PIZZA by the slice, packaged sammiches, cupped BBQ, Tater Salad, Chicken Salad, Chinese buffet, a feast that you can prepare on your own plate for the instore seating, and a catfish filet meal with veggies, on Friday night. Fried chicken on all other nights. They also have the BOAR'S HEAD Deli, that you can also get meats for later in the day.

If you don't see the BOAR'S HEAD logo, you'll know that I requisitioned it for my living room down the street. Or MAYBE the dressing room at the HOG PEN in Norman Park.

In Georgia, the ONLY type of these restaurants that we have are Dairy Queen Braziers. They serve cakes to order, ice creams of all types, milkshakes of all types and flavors. They also serve Fried Chicken boxes, chicken strips, about ten different types of hamburgers, single, double, and triple deckers, Bacon burgers, bacon cheese-burgers, chicken sammiches, BBQ sammiches, as well as many types of hotdogs.
Every DQ I've been to sells everything. Heck even the local ice cream stand sells stuff you'd buy at a concession stand. For me, its pop as a general term, whatever drink I want I'll be specific.