D3
Probably the most wide open...I'll go with Gilmour Academy

good shot: Huron, Miami East, Versailles, Coldwater

Outside Shot: St. Henry

D4
Gotta go with Jackson Center

Good Shot: St. Paul

Outside Shot: McComb

Just a quick thought...I'm sure I've missed some decent teams...

Toledo Notre Dame #7 is looking tough. After losing to Toledo SUA in 3 during the regular season they beat them in 4 in the TRAC tournament. Their only other losses (18-3) were to nationally ranked teams out of the state.

Last edited:
No real upsets I know of so far but some good games coming up the next few days as the very poor teams have been eliminated and you start to see more even matches. Here is a quick link to the brackets: http://ohsaa.org/sports/volleyball/2016/2016-vb-coverage/2016vbbrackets

From a NEO perspective there is an interesting match at Tallmadge. Revere won the decent Suburban League and they play Hoban who came in last in the very tough NCL. I am guessing it will be a close match but I would give a slight nod to Hoban at this time.

What about Lordstown in D4 and Newton Falls in D3?

Not sure about Lordstown but Berkshire has won this District before and they have a solid team so not much of an upset beating Newton Falls in 5. It will be interesting to see how Berkshire does against Garretsville as Garretsville is highly athletic with a couple NCAA Division I non-volleyball athletes, basketball and track, and Berkshire is a more well rounded team that has JO players.

Did they release all state teams? First teams, second teams?

Nominations are open, and must be in before midnight on the 27th. So, they certainly won't be released before that. I'm not sure how long it takes them once the nominations are closed.

I think some districts have already voted on the all-district teams, but I don't think any have been announced yet.

One upset of note in D1...

Loveland def. Cincy St. Ursula in 5...Which is a huge help for Ursuline Academy as they lost to SUA both times they played them...

Auggie: Garrettsville has D 1 players in basketball? Do you know what schools and what girls? I didnt know that Windham don't play Gville anymore.

Auggie: Garrettsville has D 1 players in basketball? Do you know what schools and what girls? I didnt know that Windham don't play Gville anymore.

Grayson Rose will be playing hoops at Northern Kentucky next year. The other girl, Lauren Jones, throws the discus and she placed 4th in the nationals and is being recruited by most of the big track schools, I don't think she has committed yet. Kudos to the coach for not only getting these types of athletes to play volleyball but coaching them up to a District Champ level.

Grayson Rose will be playing hoops at Northern Kentucky next year. The other girl, Lauren Jones, throws the discus and she placed 4th in the nationals and is being recruited by most of the big track schools, I don't think she has committed yet. Kudos to the coach for not only getting these types of athletes to play volleyball but coaching them up to a District Champ level.

Love it, love seeing local kids getting recognized.

All Ohio

All Ohio is scheduled to be released the Sunday before the State Tournament - November 6. I would think most Districts would release their voting close to that time frame.

All Ohio is scheduled to be released the Sunday before the State Tournament - November 6. I would think most Districts would release their voting close to that time frame.

A couple of the NE Ohio districts (2 and 3) already released theirs. Not sure about other districts.

District 2 (single document showing all divisions)
District 3 (separate links for each division)

Some NEO thoughtts:

Div I: Kind of surprised at how easy some of the the teams that won skated through the District finals matches. Solon has some players plus they were playing at home and were still steamrolled by Brecksville, I have to think the Bees are now the favs to make it out of Hudson. For the 2 NEO Districts that feed to Norwalk, both are good teams but will have their hands full with the 2 Toledo schools. Would be shocked if either takes a set.

Div II: This is still all about Lake Catholic, Jefferson playing at home could only get to 20 once in a 3 set sweep. An interesting match will be Revere vs Beaumont, they went to 5 LY in the old Garfield District title game and Revere has been playing well this year. You have to think that Padua is the chalk at Ontario, I heard so much about Ottawa-Glandorf yet not sure they will have seen the athletes the Bruins will bring especially at Setter.

Div III: You would think that Gilmour has this in the bag but they did drop a set to a tough Lutheran West side. They may drop a set at the Regional but would not be surprised if they won both in straight sets.

Div IV: Hard for me to get a feel for this Division, maybe the Wayne County school Dalton who has a decent history in the sport? If not St. Thomas Aquinas has the North Coast League pedigree. Total shot in the dark.

Once again 4 North Coast League teams won their Districts and NDCL lost to Beaumont in the Orange finals, they have a very good chance to move to two teams into the final four. I would also keep an eye on Mentor in the future, they have always had the potential but now that a solid coach is in place they could take it to the next level. Finally I hope the Indians win on Sunday so any Tuesday or Wednesday matches would not be impacted attendance wise by the World Series. HS Football is over so these Regional games bring out some nice student sections and because of the tight nature of the sport it leads to some great atmospheres in the gyms.