Oj Mayo

the best NCH cheer was "catch the metro" after the Johnny dunk game

haha, that was awesome. I'll never forget that game. It was the most entertaining and fun sporting event I will EVER attend, without a doubt. I will be 80 years old talking to my grandkids saying "so then, Johnny Wolf stole the ball, then ran down the court and dunked while getting practically tackled by OJ Mayo!"

This wasnt against them but I think against NCH as a whole. "Enjoy our can food"

you think you can say that cuz you have more money than other people. your whole school should be ashamed because of that cheer. typical st. x i guess.

there are two different kinds of jokes buddy. clean jokes and dirty jokes. in this case its a dirt joke that people that arent from st. x high school might find offensive.

there are two different kinds of jokes buddy. clean jokes and dirty jokes. in this case its a dirt joke that people that arent from st. x high school might find offensive.

Be offended, there is no rule against it.

And there is no rule or law saying we cant be offensive, come on now.

I would suggest you to do one of a few things:
a) get some thicker skin
b) take a joke for what it is
c) know, that most people (especially students) dont really care what others think, especially when it comes to something as trivial as cheering.

Be offended, there is no rule against it.

And there is no rule or law saying we cant be offensive, come on now.

I would suggest you to do one of a few things:
a) get some thicker skin
b) take a joke for what it is
c) know, that most people (especially students) dont really care what others think, especially when it comes to something as trivial as cheering.

I agree with a and b, but not c. I for one care about how thet school is perceived in the community, just as you should if you go there. I think "we give you food" is a little questionable. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if it was a GCL game since the GCL (at the risk of sounding corny) is like a family. We'll make fun of each other and call names, but at the end of the day we know that we're more alike than we are different, and all got a special experience that most people aren't lucky enough to get out of highschool.

LOL dude. What if you were on the other end of the can food joke? How would you feel? Why cant you just keep it to the cheers like "welcome to d-1"? Cheers like that dont offend people in a personal way.

I agree with a and b, but not c. I for one care about how thet school is perceived in the community, just as you should if you go there. I think "we give you food" is a little questionable. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if it was a GCL game since the GCL (at the risk of sounding corny) is like a family. We'll make fun of each other and call names, but at the end of the day we know that we're more alike than we are different, and all got a special experience that most people aren't lucky enough to get out of highschool.

What i said might have come off wrong, I know people care about how others think about the school. The students know the lines of what can/should not be said. It doesn't happen all that often, but when then line is crossed, others outside of the school are quick to hop on it and crucify the school and its students for it, as if they haven't said something like that before. And, at least for me, it happened enough for me to just get numb to it, and laugh whenever someone says its offensive...similar to when someone outside of the school calls the students gay.

I'd be curious if the students of the other schoosl are actually offended, or it is just adults and other 3rd party members. If I had to put money on it, I'd say it would be the latter.

...c) know, that most people (especially students) dont really care what others think, especially when it comes to something as trivial as cheering.
The St. X canned food drive is certainly an impressive and noble undertaking.
Using the canned food drive as a basis for a derisive cheer against a public school serving (in part) an economically deprived community certainly takes some of the luster off the spirit with which the canned food drive is administered.
It's more than a little patronizing.

The St. X canned food drive is certainly an impressive and noble undertaking.
Using the canned food drive as a basis for a derisive cheer against a public school serving (in part) an economically deprived community certainly takes some of the luster off the spirit with which the canned food drive is administered.
It's more than a little patronizing.

its not noble if your cheers in a basketball game are "enjoy our can food."

its not noble if your cheers in a basketball game are "enjoy our can food."

If you think that, you really are taking this too seriously. Actions speak louder than words, so I think the thousands of man hours spent on the canned food drive speak louder than some cheer at a basketball game.