OhioBasketball.net: Looking for new web hosting options

thePITman

For my site, www.ohiobasketball.net/canton, I have used DiscountASP.net ever since I converted it to a data-driven web site with MS SQL backend. However, they recently upped my annual fee to $255/yr. I might get $100 every 2 years from AdSense, so I was fine with paying the old fee 'cuz I was doing what I enjoyed. But $255 is considerably more.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where I could switch my hosting service that supports MS SQL (so I don't have to change my Database)? Or do you have any other suggestions? A friend of mine recommended learning JSP (I already use it at work a little bit), converting my web site, and hosting my own server (w/ Amazon web services). The cost is considerably lower for this, but the start-up is large with finding a dedicated machine, learning/converting to JSP, creating new DB, etc.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are appreciated! At some point I need to make a financial decision of whether or not it's worth running my web site anymore, even though I know lots of people depend on it.

any chance of converting to mysql?? almost all of the hosting companies give those for free. i host our aau and high school bball sites for like 6 bucks a month. Any time you go the windows route with these hosting companies they charge more. Support is more expensive on those boxes then linux boxes.

I've been thinking that, too - going away from Windows-based. There are a number of hosting sites I've seen that sound similar to what you speak, with $5-$7/mo hosting which includes database support for MySQL, etc.

CALLING ALL WEB DESIGN GURUS! Please read the following (end-state, best-case for my web site redesign)

I'll try to give some background and work towards where I want my site
to be in the end.

My web site is www.ohiobasketball.net/canton (and /wooster, which is
the same as /canton but a for different district). Right now my site
is data-driven with a MS SQL Database that has some tables for teams,
games, etc. Every year before the season starts, I track down complete
basketball schedules for over 80 boys basketball teams, and take a
week to enter them all in by hand (over 1,600 games).

Ultimately, I want to have some sort of username-based online entry
system where I (or those I authorize, such as coaches or media) to log
into my web-based interface to either enter schedules/games or update
scores. This would save me loads of time! You'll see each team has a
schedule (http://ohiobasketball.net/canton/archbishophoban.aspx) but
there's also a page with all the scores I'm missing
(http://ohiobasketball.net/results/missing.aspx). I'd want both to
have the option, depending on the user's security, to update scores.

Something else I'd love, in a best-case scenario, is a game-entry
process that has auto-filtering. What I mean by that is, if I start
typing a school's name, it's searching the TEAMS table in realtime
(has all OHSAA schools), filtering on what I'm typing. Then when I
click the team I want from the list, it uses the team_id column. That
way if I can link two teams to the same game by their ID, I only have
to enter the game once and it shows up on both teams' schedules, and I
only update the score once, etc.

As far as I know, I cannot do this with MS SQL. And even if I can, I'm
not sure where to even start with Visual Web Developer. Do you have
any ideas or thoughts on how I could approach this scenario? If not,
that's fine. But if you do, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

^^^ No matter what I tried, Yappi would not let me post those in the same post. It'd hang. And if I went to "Advanced" and tried submitting, I'd get a "Page Not Found" error. Hmm..

It's been decided... I'm moving, redesigning, and renaming my web site.

OhioBasketball.net will be moved to PITmanStats.com sometime around August.
My DII Canton and DIII Wooster district sites (OhioBasketball.net/canton and OhioBasketball.net/wooster) will be subdomains of PITmanStats.com (canton.pitmanstats.com and wooster.pitmanstats.com or something like that).
Also, the Triway team web site will be moved from OhioBasketball.net/triway to TriwayBasketball.com

Again, this won't be taking effect at least until August. I have tons of work to do until then, but wanted to give a heads up to those who use my sites.

Thanks for all you do PIT. It is much appreciated for tv sports guys like myself to find things a heck of a lot easier and saves me a ton of time.

Kudos to you.

Keep up the good work, PIT! Your site has always been a useful resource for me as I try to educate myself on which teams to watch heading into the local district tournaments.

Thanks guys! It's nice knowing there are people out there that use and appreciate my site(s). Makes it worth while. (sometimes I'm not so sure, haha)

I can tell you right now, after hours of schema design last night and today during lunch (had a second set of eyes look it over), there is going to be a LOT of work going into this... but if all the features I'm envisioning come out as planned, it's going to be SWEET!