Ohio State Football 2024

Not for long. One thing the B1G has shown great competence in is being a money-making machine for its member schools.
Doesn't help with NIL if the schools don't have the sponsors.
Does UCLA have an nil collective?
"Now the Bruins on the sidelines need to get in the game and begin contributing to UCLA's NIL Collective, Men of Westwood. This is how UCLA will stay competitive in the Big Ten, and will be key in enticing a new coach and new recruits to the program.21 hours ago"

Doesn't help with NIL if the schools don't have the sponsors.
Does UCLA have an nil collective?
"Now the Bruins on the sidelines need to get in the game and begin contributing to UCLA's NIL Collective, Men of Westwood. This is how UCLA will stay competitive in the Big Ten, and will be key in enticing a new coach and new recruits to the program.21 hours ago"
I don't think they EVER fill their stadiums anymore

I think UCLA's football reputation is greater than reality. Except for a handful of seasons under Prothro, Vermeil, and Donahue they are a .500 program. Just seems the Uclans claim to fame is basketball.
Yes, and as good as Donahue was at UCLA, it was still rare for him to out-recruit USC…regardless of USC’s records.

Justin Wilcox should be the next UCLA coach, IMO. He will have the Bruins at least competitive every season.

I guess I shouldn't be, but the Chip Kelly move stunned me. You make the money Kelly has made last 20 years, I suppose going from 6 mil to 2 mil isn't a huge deal, but moving from HC to OC within conference, wow.

I see Cali based columnists tearing into Chip Kelly's character, but they are wrong, I think, in assessing that it's not a UCLA problem.

Kelly is a big upgrade over BoB and Ohio State should be the pick to win the conference.

I guess I shouldn't be, but the Chip Kelly move stunned me. You make the money Kelly has made last 20 years, I suppose going from 6 mil to 2 mil isn't a huge deal, but moving from HC to OC within conference, wow.

I see Cali based columnists tearing into Chip Kelly's character, but they are wrong, I think, in assessing that it's not a UCLA problem.

Kelly is a big upgrade over BoB and Ohio State should be the pick to win the conference.
Watching Mahomes pulling out the Super Bowl by using his legs should be the only blueprint in use. Lack of running the QB the last three years has cost OSU. Kelly's calling card is running the QB. I am looking forward to it.

Watching Mahomes pulling out the Super Bowl by using his legs should be the only blueprint in use. Lack of running the QB the last three years has cost OSU. Kelly's calling card is running the QB. I am looking forward to it.
I expect Will Howard to have an incredible year with the two headed monsters at RB and the talent at receiver position he should have a field day running the read option

Joey Velazquez transfers from Michigan to Ohio State as a walk on. From Columbus, Velazquez committed on scholarship to Michigan in 2019. The two sport athlete appeared in 16 games with zero starts in football, 10 of which game in 2021 and none in 2023, and 100 games with 68 starts for the Michigan Baseball team. It does not appear he will play for OSU baseball.

Agreed, but it will be interesting if Ryan himself will actually change his ways. Change is easier talked about than accomplished.

Joey Velazquez transfers from Michigan to Ohio State as a walk on. From Columbus, Velazquez committed on scholarship to Michigan in 2019. The two sport athlete appeared in 16 games with zero starts in football, 10 of which game in 2021 and none in 2023, and 100 games with 68 starts for the Michigan Baseball team. It does not appear he will play for OSU baseball.
Not a significant signing, but the Bucks are short on depth in the LB room.

Agreed, but it will be interesting if Ryan himself will actually change his ways. Change is easier talked about than accomplished.
I think that is where Kelly is a better pick than BoB. Kelly has history with Day and I would hope a greater amount of trust.

how good was the buckeyes offense when Stroud ran the ball against Georgia?

Laurinaitis is promoted to the LB assistant coach position.
Indeed

I understand the hire. Great former Ohio State player. I just wonder what actual coaching chops does he add to the Buckeyes? Part of Harbaugh's success at Michigan was due to his adding quality coaches from the NFL instead of the traditional "Michigan Men". I hope JL will be a success, but could Ryan Day have done better?

Indeed

I understand the hire. Great former Ohio State player. I just wonder what actual coaching chops does he add to the Buckeyes? Part of Harbaugh's success at Michigan was due to his adding quality coaches from the NFL instead of the traditional "Michigan Men". I hope JL will be a success, but could Ryan Day have done better?
Doesn’t appear so. I think there’s a reason it took Day a month or so to fill the 10 position.

Indeed

Ryan tried but he couldn’t get the guys he wanted so he had to settle here. Very risky for a coach on the hot seat

Indeed

Played 8 seasons in the NFL. Was a college AA. I'm very OK with this hire and think he will do very well in the recruitment department.

Ryan tried but he couldn’t get the guys he wanted so he had to settle here. Very risky for a coach on the hot seat
I've knocked Day since he was hired. Mostly because he was not a HC and loves his offense, namely his pass game, more than all other aspects of the game and it has shown. However, I cannot knock what the dude has done since losing to Mizzou. It was really bad at that point and they have gone on a tear as far as recruiting and coaching hires go since (yes, money helps). I tip my cap in that regard but now the pressure is very real for him to win a title. B10 title is a must. National title he must at least compete (think GA game from two years ago).

Last edited:
I've knocked Day since he was hired. Mostly because he was not a HC and loves his offense, namely his pass game, more than all other aspects of the game and it has shown. However, I cannot knock what the dude has done since losing to Mizzou. It was really bad at that point and they have gone on a tear as far as recruiting and coaching hires go since (yes, money helps). I tip my cap in that regard but now the pressure is very real for him to win a title. B10 title is a must. National title he must at least compete (think GA game from two years ago).
Only coaching hire I’ve liked has been Chip Kelly. The rest are very meh.

He’s not on the hot seat. Ohio St just paid $14 mil for Holtmann’s buyout, and may have to pay for another buyout depending on whom they hire as their basketball coach. On top of that Day’s buyout is over $46 million. No way they are spending $60+ on buyouts in a calendar year.

He’s not on the hot seat. Ohio St just paid $14 mil for Holtmann’s buyout, and may have to pay for another buyout depending on whom they hire as their basketball coach. On top of that Day’s buyout is over $46 million. No way they are spending $60+ on buyouts in a calendar year.
He’s on the hot seat. Another loss to Michigan followed by an early playoff defeat would make Day’s seat very hot with a new AD. The Buckeyes are loaded this year. Expectations will rightly be sky high. Day has to beat Michigan.