Ohio is behind in high school football

Orthopedic surgeons are the group that will benefit the most in the future from the poor decisions being made today by adults.
Yep, and that's why you see things like Beacon Orthopedics donating a new turf field to Oak Hills High School......Seems ironic that Beacon will benefit from all the operations and therapy they'll be performing.

And nobody thought it was odd that an orthopedic group was donating hundreds of thousands to put in turf? They are gonna make that investment back dozens of times over.

Last edited:
I would argue that these addition days accomplish almost nothing, If i were made emperor of Ohio athletics, I would shut down all summer contact outside of weightlifting, and some conditioning done by the athletic director or third party from the school.
I wish people like you were in charge of the OHSAA and helping make them make decisions. The official OHSAA start date for fall sports is August 1st. That's when practices should start taking place, instead we keep getting these stupid add-on days.

Ohio is behind in high school football….
Behind what ? There are plenty of kids that go on to play college football from Ohio, many of them getting full rides and many others getting alot of scholarship money to play football at the next level. In reality there aren’t many that are ever going to get paid to play the game and spring football isn’t going to all of a sudden change that.

I'm not for spring football. But I'm also not ready to mandate coaches not look at or speak to a kid between End of School and August 1st. Don't know that we need 18 days but at least a few days are beneficial especially since we lost a week of preseason with the season starting a week earlier than it historically did.

@cincifbfan I think your 90 minutes of practice thing really depends on what all you are trying to complete in that timeframe.

I'm not for spring football. But I'm also not ready to mandate coaches not look at or speak to a kid between End of School and August 1st. Don't know that we need 18 days but at least a few days are beneficial especially since we lost a week of preseason with the season starting a week earlier than it historically did.

@cincifbfan I think your 90 minutes of practice thing really depends on what all you are trying to complete in that timeframe.
The problem is Cedar, that there is no happy medium now, this is another reason you can get ohsaa job board find numerous assistant football jobs, I am not evolving my summer/family around coaching football all summer for a 3k fall stipend. No thank you

Having coached in Ohio and in Kentucky I have seen the spring football work, and I've seen it fail miserably. I've also seen schools not have spring football at all, and many of those schools are insanely competitive.

I agree with most on here that spring football would add to already overwhelmed kids. Yes, our kids are overwhelmed and overcommitted. With all the commitments and activities that teens have these days, it is next to impossible for them to have a part time job..... to have a little spending cash and to learn valuable life lessons that only the workplace can offer.

Youth sports are an utter disaster in this country. Good luck finding just regular rec teams for your kid to play on because they happen to like soccer or whatever sport. It's next to impossible. It's all about cashing in on these kids with select leagues and travel tournaments. The new thing I'm seeing are new "fitness companies" sprouting up and having youth workouts. Work on speed and agility with your 8 year old..... only 35-45 dollars a session. They will jump higher and run faster next season guaranteed. I have had parents of my own sons ask me if I think it's a good idea and or why my sons don't do it. I simply tell them...... you want to spend money on training your son before he's even hit puberty? Think about it. He's not making crazy gains to dominate other 10 year olds, and if he somehow does, so what..... he's 10. Once everyone goes through puberty and proper weight training, your dominant son could be 3rd string. It's just dumb.

We are also seeing the rise of over-use injuries in kids. Kids that need Tommy John surgery before high school. Kids with broken growth plates and knee issues because they play 5+ soccer games a week all year round. Parents need to realize their kids are being exploited simply for money. And parents are eating it up. I have heard entirely too many parents in the past 6 or so years talk about their kid's scholarship potential before they are even in middle school. And we wonder why these athletes are delusional in thinking they are all going to the league when they are in high school.

It all needs to stop. Sports are supposed to be fun. Play multiple sports. Coaches, quit monopolizing your players. Let them go experience other things. Make practices shorter. If you can't get it done in 90 minutes, you don't know what you're doing. And can we quit making the high school sports out to be more than they are. They are a part of the school experience, not the entire experience. We are creating phony positions to give these coaches more money because we are putting more and more demands on them for an extra-curricular. It all needs to stop so our kids can do some things that aren't part of organized sports.... things like hang out at the pool, go to an amusement park or festival, help mom and dad with projects around the house, get a job, etc. And we go around scratching our heads at why kids these days are so high strung and mental health issues are so prominent. There's no sense of freedom and their whole life is GO, GO, GO.

So, in a nutshell, spring football is a dumb idea for Ohio. I'd like to see a state wide period where NO activities are allowed to happen, period. In KY they have that.... dead period. June 24-July 10 every single year. Schools are locked down, nobody allowed on campuses. Can't do anything. And it's nice because you know that for that time period you have nothing. Everyone schedules their vacations, you hang out with families, and recharge the batteries. We need more common sense, not more schedules for our kids.
Very well said. This in a nut shell

There is a crisis forming in girls sports right now and it could easily spread to boys sports. Far too many are concentrating on one sport and numbers in other sports are plummeting to the point where those other sports can't field JV teams and have one jr. high team instead of an 8th and 7th grade team. Three girls bb teams in our conference, including my team, had no JV team and others have numbers 40-50% less than just a few years ago. Every day on the local online basketball scoreboard there are games scheduled with "Varsity Only" listed. High school sports is not longer fun, it's a full time job. I know a successful boys bb coach who had "voluntary" open gyms but he knew who was there and those players got more playing time than those who had a job or a life and didn't/couldn't attend. Summers aren't for family vacations because every sport has weekly/daily workouts, team camps/tournaments, 7 on 7, travel/ACME baseball, etc... And then you start practice in early August. It never ends. People get enough of this when they're adults, we don't need them to have to go through it as kids too.
No there is a "crisis" because a lot of students don't play any sports.

What is Ohio behind in High School Football?
Spring football is not for the high school athlete it is for the colleges
This right here. Ohio will always have D1 scholarship kids without spring football. Last time I checked Ohio still has really good football players across all divisions.

Texas high school students in full pads for Spring football. View attachment 41590
We're seriously not having this discussion AGAIN, are we? Spring football will NEVER happen in Ohio; you can use caps, like I did. It only benefits the colleges and about 1% of football players, most of whom would get their college looks anyway. It would harm spring sports irreparably, and add another commitment to the other kids who are likely overscheduled with all their school/team/work commitments to begin with.

Then I think of how college football would be over, That the college coaches, would have the time to go, watch the games, Possibly even talk to the seniors after the game.
Talk about what? Just look at the players size , measurables and different times in running drills. College coaches couldn’t care less about talking to the kids unless they are the top 2% of the above mentioned criteria.

Talk about what? Just look at the players size , measurables and different times in running drills. College coaches couldn’t care less about talking to the kids unless they are the top 2% of the above mentioned criteria.
Just more about the opportunity, of encouraging words, As just a fan, private schools are playing at a different level, it shows in the championship games, I would just imagine that private schools would have a better chance of switching things up, without the state controlling, their business's decisions

Don't know why, at Marion Local we don't have that issue, but many schools do. It has very little to do with specialization of sports, lot of students at these schools are playing no sports.
The kids playing no sports is a decision about what's best for them. With high school sports being year round commitments now with lifting, conditioning, study tables, and whatnot.... Kids have decided it's simply not worth it, especially if they are not an elite athlete. They'd rather work. Or focus on their studies. Or pick up a hobby. I'm also seeing more young people dip their toes into trying to start their own businesses.... Extremely small scale, but trying to run a business as a teenager.

If you are a 3rd stringer on the football team and have no real shot at ever seeing the field, most look at that and think, man my time could be spent way better doing this or that instead football. The same goes for just about every sport. We adults have taken away the fun aspects of sports.

The kids playing no sports is a decision about what's best for them. With high school sports being year round commitments now with lifting, conditioning, study tables, and whatnot.... Kids have decided it's simply not worth it, especially if they are not an elite athlete. They'd rather work. Or focus on their studies. Or pick up a hobby. I'm also seeing more young people dip their toes into trying to start their own businesses.... Extremely small scale, but trying to run a business as a teenager.

If you are a 3rd stringer on the football team and have no real shot at ever seeing the field, most look at that and think, man my time could be spent way better doing this or that instead football. The same goes for just about every sport. We adults have taken away the fun aspects of sports.
Keep in mind, Tom Brady was a 3rd string qb at Michigan and generally overlooked in the NFL draft.

Lot of schools are having trouble fielding teams in different sports including football, I don't think playing time is an issue.

Lot of schools are having trouble fielding teams in different sports including football, I don't think playing time is an issue.
Really, you dont? If you are the #12 man on basketball you think that guy is going to stick with it? Or if you are second string in soccer? Or kid in softball that doesn't even play right field?

Playing time has a lot to do with it I promise you.