North America Has Lost 3 Billion Birds, Scientists Say

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Over the past half-century, North America has lost more than a quarter of its entire bird population, or around 3 billion birds.

That's according to a new estimate published in the journal Science by researchers who brought together a variety of information that has been collected on 529 bird species since 1970.

The shrinking fish population (extinct 2048) is starving the bird population. Climate change (world ending in 12 years) preventing birds from migrating annually to warmer climes. Popeye's pulling their spicy chicken sandwich off the menu, yielding fewer crumbs outside to feed on.

Any of those theories work?

We used to have an outdoors cat who wasn't fixed. I loved to watch him stalk birds all the time. Invariably he'd fail - and then pretend he was really interested in washing his paws. That I can recall, he only caught one bird in five years. Must have been a slacker.

No shortage of birds in our town. I see people complaining about the amount of birds all the time. They stink and get poop all over everybodies cars and the sidewalk.

Who is counting the birds... basically, this is all estimates and who knows if there are more or less birds here....

Trust me...anyone who knows birds knows that the native bird population is rapidly being replaced with 2 species...invasive House sparrows and invasive starlings. Lack of nesting spots, insecticides and general lack of habitat is the cause. Loss of habitat in the U.S. and in south America.

The geese are eating them.

What happened to all the pigeons? I rarely see those anymore.

house cats not in the house.

The freaking pigeons all relocated to St. Mark's Square in Venice, Italy where they can crap on tourists (which I can verify from a couple of weeks ago).

Trust me...anyone who knows birds knows that the native bird population is rapidly being replaced with 2 species...invasive House sparrows and invasive starlings. Lack of nesting spots, insecticides and general lack of habitat is the cause. Loss of habitat in the U.S. and in south America.

We got crows.