New Moeller AD

I read the Enquirer article on this hire and thinks it’s a very interesting approach in how they are moving away from a person that’s focus is game scheduling and attending all events and focusing more on athlete culture, and facilities enhancement, and customer experience.

Shifting the administrative tasks to more strategic tasks. I’m guessing that’s a much more ideal and enticing role for someone coming in from the outside. Will be interesting to see if it provides a competitive advantage, but I like the shift in thinking about how the role can be impactful.

I’m not a Moeller guy but I like when schools disrupt the status quo and try new things.

I read the Enquirer article on this hire and thinks it’s a very interesting approach in how they are moving away from a person that’s focus is game scheduling and attending all events and focusing more on athlete culture, and facilities enhancement, and customer experience.

Shifting the administrative tasks to more strategic tasks. I’m guessing that’s a much more ideal and enticing role for someone coming in from the outside. Will be interesting to see if it provides a competitive advantage, but I like the shift in thinking about how the role can be impactful.

I’m not a Moeller guy but I like when schools disrupt the status quo and try new things.
Hope they hire an assistant AD to handle the actual athletic stuff like games and schedules though- their biggest asset is their office manager and she can’t do all that alone.

Hope they hire an assistant AD to handle the actual athletic stuff like games and schedules though- their biggest asset is their office manager and she can’t do all that alone.

I agree and the Scheduling and Game day set up really never stops. Who will do the Moeller Athletics Teams Scheduling?

It would seem like they would have to - someone has to do it.

I'm scratching my head on this one. Not just the hire but the concept. Colleges and Universities may have an AD that is a business person but under them they have multiple AD's (Asst AD's, Associate AD's). Each of those handles an aspect of the Athletic Department (compliance, fund raising, scheduling, etc). It's a great concept if you have the money to hire people underneath the AD like Colleges and Universities do. I didn't hear that in the article so I don't think hiring an Asst AD is in the plan. Plus, I don't think we have the money to do that so how is this "shift" to an AD being more about strategic task going to work when he has no experience as an AD? Not only is the scheduling an issue with this concept, which many have commented on, but how does a guy who has never been an AD or for that matter a coach hire coaches? I hope that is concept works but I don't see it being a trend that other schools are going to take on unless we can prove to people that it works.

It seems he will definitely need help with some of the administrative tasks ADs usually have, but is it really necessary for these ADs to be at most sporting events? That time could definitely be spent on other things.

Ive never understood why they need to be there all the time.

"Bayer does not arrive from an athletic background, and that's just what the school wanted. 'We are shifting the model from the traditional AD who was focused on scheduling games, attending all games, setting up for games and more, and focusing on building a first-class culture, enhancing the fan experience and advancing the school’s mission,' Moeller president Marshall Hyzdu said in a statement."

"Welcome to College (Bayer's start-up company) offers a software platform and consulting services to help higher education institutions optimize the campus visit experience."

"Bayer said his goals as AD include striving for academic excellence for all student athletes, developing a championship culture within each athletic program, providing dynamic athletic experiences for all stakeholders and creating an annual athletic giving club."

That's a whole lot of "outward" focus, I hope someone up there at least is still focusing "inward" too. Its clear that this model shift caters more toward the Alumni donors because they are hoping for that "reliving my high school years" nostalgia to throw the endowment growth into an exponential curve in the short term (consistent with the "business model" Hyzdu has brought to Moeller). But the risk with that mindset is that eventually the current students grow up to become the Alumni donors you are relying on, and the less you focus on the student body during their high school years, the less "nostalgic donors" you're graduating to sustain this model long term.

I hope that is concept works but I don't see it being a trend that other schools are going to take on....
Nor does it need to be in my opinion. Grade schools are not high schools and high schools are not colleges. High school sports are not NCAA sports. NCAA sports are not pro teams. Keeping the differences between them is a good thing, there is enough trickle down effect (i.e. transfers in high school are happening more every year) as it is.

Not trying to brew up conflict here - but genuinely interested in how the shift in philosophy with the new AD has been so far?

Might be too early to tell at this point.

No conflict for inquiring about things like this. For most parents, jury is still out on this one. I’m a little apprehensive myself. Check back at year’s end, I may have more to say.

Scott Springer updated his article to include the following:

Less than a year after signing on as Moeller High School's athletic director, 1997 Crusaders grad Justin Bayer has resigned.

He will take on a new business opportunity as chief executive officer of a leading interview preparation software company currently working with more than 250 colleges.

Moeller confirmed the move Thursday afternoon. Bayer will continue to work in the AD role through April.