NBA thread

14Red

Head scratcher in Philly last night. Embiid, Maxey and Harden are all out. Nets come to town with KD, Kyrie and Ben Simmons and they lose??? Makes no sense at all.

clarkgriswold

Head scratcher in Philly last night. Embiid, Maxey and Harden are all out. Nets come to town with KD, Kyrie and Ben Simmons and they lose??? Makes no sense at all.
It makes he sense in the world. It's 3 dysfunctional stars and the dysfunction impacts the result. The Nets franchise is the joke of the NBA.

14Red

It makes he sense in the world. It's 3 dysfunctional stars and the dysfunction impacts the result. The Nets franchise is the joke of the NBA.
But really, doesn't dysfunction really work in the NBA? I mean regular season games, there is little preparation, with the short shot clock and infinite numbers of possessions, talent typically wins. You had a guy in Durrant who is considered by almost everyone a top 25 NBA player of all time, maybe higher by some. Kyrie Irving, with all his skeletons, is still considered a great offensive basketball player. The Sixers had 4-5 guys who aren't even in their typical rotation.

Now and update, the Sixers turn around and lose at Charlotte the next night and Charlotte has not much significant NBA talent.

AEW Champion

But really, doesn't dysfunction really work in the NBA? I mean regular season games, there is little preparation, with the short shot clock and infinite numbers of possessions, talent typically wins. You had a guy in Durrant who is considered by almost everyone a top 25 NBA player of all time, maybe higher by some. Kyrie Irving, with all his skeletons, is still considered a great offensive basketball player. The Sixers had 4-5 guys who aren't even in their typical rotation.

Now and update, the Sixers turn around and lose at Charlotte the next night and Charlotte has not much significant NBA talent.
Regular season NBA is often about effort and who feels like playing hard any given night. Sure, when both teams are playing at max effort, talent typically wins out. Perhaps the Sixers were motivated to beat Ben Simmons?

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

14Red

Regular season NBA is often about effort and who feels like playing hard any given night. Sure, when both teams are playing at max effort, talent typically wins out. Perhaps the Sixers were motivated to beat Ben Simmons?

No doubt there was motivation for that. I'm just miffed at how many NBA players just miss games. It's so sad and it really hurts the product. Of course no one ever questions injuries because everyone hides behind HIPPA. It's just sad because I grew up in a day when Dr. J, Magic, Jordan, most players played every night, unless there was a legitimate injury.

AEW Champion

No doubt there was motivation for that. I'm just miffed at how many NBA players just miss games. It's so sad and it really hurts the product. Of course no one ever questions injuries because everyone hides behind HIPPA. It's just sad because I grew up in a day when Dr. J, Magic, Jordan, most players played every night, unless there was a legitimate injury.
I agree, it’s one reason why I really fell out of watching the NBA very much even though I was a huge fan in the 90s and 2000s.

clarkgriswold

It doesn't work in the context of having 3 head cases and no leaders. Two of them are great players but they all go in their own direction and none of them are leaders.

CantonKid

Anthony Davis is 1st in the league in rebounds 12.8 and 3rd in blocks 2.19. He is 11th in scoring 26.3.

Davis is also one of the best defensive players in the NBA.

CantonKid

Lebron James is scoring 24.5 points per game,8.7 Rebounds,6.7 assists.

Not bad for a 38 year old man. Oh...He's playing good defense too.

CantonKid

The Lakers-Cavs game should be a good one(on 12-6-2022). The Lakers have won 8 out of there last 10 games. Anthony Davis has really come alive,scorring 44 and 55 points in his last 2 games. The Lakers are also finally playing with a good chemistry as well.

14Red

Lakers have really turned things around.
Two things:
1. Russell Westbrook has accepted his role coming off the bench.
2. Anthony Davis has become who they thought he'd be.

Now, is this sustainable? Probably not. Davis hasn't stayed healthy for longer than a few months in years , and Westbrook will eventualy blow up, because that's what he does.