My T&F B.S. Meter serves me again...

JAVMAN83

Looking at the MileSplit rankings update again this morning, and I note a reported 199' 1" discus throw by A.J. Murphy (Canfield) yesterday.

Well, just looking at his shot & discus results of the past year on both MileSplit and AthleticNet clearly shows this reported distance MUST be an entry error by the source. I see too much of this.

My suggestion to ALL those reporting results: Do a quick once-over in reviewing the results of your meets and ask yourself the question "does this make sense?" If a distance or time looks out-of-whack given your experience, check the source, please, before uploading the meet results to MileSplit, AthleticNet, or Baumspage. Be the gate-keepers of your own meet's results. It helps the sport to be better in self-policing itself. Huge errors like this one just make things look silly.

Looking at the MileSplit rankings update again this morning, and I note a reported 199' 1" discus throw by A.J. Murphy (Canfield) yesterday.

Well, just looking at his shot & discus results of the past year on both MileSplit and AthleticNet clearly shows this reported distance MUST be an entry error by the source. I see too much of this.

My suggestion to ALL those reporting results: Do a quick once-over in reviewing the results of your meets and ask yourself the question "does this make sense?" If a distance or time looks out-of-whack given your experience, check the source, please, before uploading the meet results to MileSplit, AthleticNet, or Baumspage. Be the gate-keepers of your own meet's results. It helps the sport to be better in self-policing itself. Huge errors like this one just make things look silly.
This is not to excuse the situation and others like it, but the simple reality is the average person helping at the meet does not care to the same degree that a handful of us on here would like. They're certainly not looking to make mistakes on purpose, but they're also not concerned with how an error is going to look in MileSplit or any other website's database.

At most of these meets, the people tasked with recording results and scoring the meet don't know who all the competitors are in order to know if a result is reasonable. In this case, Canfield was competing at a meet outside of their immediate area and at a school in a different division, to boot. Nobody at Orange would be familiar with Canfield's athletes. My only hope is the result was corrected before the end of the meet, so that the event was scored properly for the team standings and the rightful placers received whatever recognition or awards that were due to them.

I don't know what the weather was like in Pepper Pike last night, but it was God-awful an hour south where I was (local meet had FAT system fail multiple times in the last few running events thanks primarily to the weather). On nights like that, that extra measure of defense in proofreading results is even less likely to occur when the only thing on peoples' minds is how quickly they can get themselves out of the crummy weather.

This is not to excuse the situation and others like it, but the simple reality is the average person helping at the meet does not care to the same degree that a handful of us on here would like. They're certainly not looking to make mistakes on purpose, but they're also not concerned with how an error is going to look in MileSplit or any other website's database.

At most of these meets, the people tasked with recording results and scoring the meet don't know who all the competitors are in order to know if a result is reasonable. In this case, Canfield was competing at a meet outside of their immediate area and at a school in a different division, to boot. Nobody at Orange would be familiar with Canfield's athletes. My only hope is the result was corrected before the end of the meet, so that the event was scored properly for the team standings and the rightful placers received whatever recognition or awards that were due to them.

I don't know what the weather was like in Pepper Pike last night, but it was God-awful an hour south where I was (local meet had FAT system fail multiple times in the last few running events thanks primarily to the weather). On nights like that, that extra measure of defense in proofreading results is even less likely to occur when the only thing on peoples' minds is how quickly they can get themselves out of the crummy weather.
All very true and understood. It never hurts, though, to exhort the masses. Not criticize, but exhort. I hope that's what I'm able to do.

At a meet I helped with, we made a mistake with one of the races and had no less than 4 people come up to the pressbox to tell us it was wrong! If I had been the one printing off the results, I would have known if was wrong, but it wasn't me. There is a lot of pressure timing a meet and preparing results.

Last edited:
At a meet I helped with, we made a mistake with one of the races and had no less than 4 people come up to the pressbox to tell us it was wrong! If I had been the one printing of the results, I would have known if was wrong, but it wasn't me. There is a lot of pressure timing a meet and preparing results.
I know the pressure. Been there, too, on both sides of the situation.

Revised results were reported to MileSplit. The thrower's best mark was revised to a 119-1. However, the throw itself is still shown in the series as a 199-1. It could have easily gone unnoticed because it was a relay event that the team won with or without the error. The thrower was seeded at 103-0, so I'm hoping he got a big PR in addition to his trio's event win.

Revised results were reported to MileSplit. The thrower's best mark was revised to a 119-1. However, the throw itself is still shown in the series as a 199-1. It could have easily gone unnoticed because it was a relay event that the team won with or without the error. The thrower was seeded at 103-0, so I'm hoping he got a big PR in addition to his trio's event win.
Thanks for the update. 119-1 is more inline with his physical capabilities indicated by the shot marks of this year. I hope he goes farther.

I just looked and the correction was made to his performance in the database.

1682949206266.png

They transposed 2 numbers at the Lebanon invitational on Wednesday. A girl's 27'5" in the shot was a temporary national record 72'5". It was humorous.
Screenshot_20230503-195546_Chrome.jpg

Saw that on milespilt as well. Had to miss the meet due to some dental work. When we distributed medals at practice yesterday there was an extra 1st place medal. I guess the pressbox didn't get the correction. We return to Lebanon tomorrow for the ECC JV meet and will hand over the medal to Lebanon to be sent to the true winner from Franklin.