Most underrated/overrated teams going into 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offseason nearing it's end who is getting too much hype and who isn't getting enough? I'll kick things off with a few.

Underrated:

- Lakota West: Great coach, tough for a GMC team to get recognition but they should be up there with the catholic school powers in Cincy for the foreseeable future.
- St. Ignatius: They can always play with anybody but it seems like people have them a step below some of the other big schools in the post Kyle era.
- Bishop Fenwick: Some people dislike a fanbase and that clouds their judgement of a very good D4 program.
- Ft. Loramie: Good lower division program. Would get a lot more love if they were in the MAC.

Overrated:
- Massillon: Decent team but getting a lot of hype, will probably beat a struggling team from GA and continue the hype train until Hoban or somebody else blows the doors off of them.
- Steubenville: Beating up on talented DC teams with bad coaching is cool and all but not my thing. Overrated.
- The entire MAC: I saw a post saying Marion Local could compete with D1 teams. Keep having fun dominating D5-7 but let's be real here...

Feel free to drop your own opinions below - embrace debate!
Steubenville overrated?! 4 State Championships, multiple runner ups, multiple Region Championships, crap load of playoff wins. Give me a break.

Steubenville overrated?! 4 State Championships, multiple runner ups, multiple Region Championships, crap load of playoff wins. Give me a break.
They're D4 and people act like they're Glenville. They are a good D4 team, nothing more nothing less.

Glenville's talent level is undeniable. They've squandered it at times but it is head and shoulders above Steubenville. I am however happy that you've now contributed to the original topic by claiming Glenville is overrated, thank you.
I don’t think they’re overrated right now at all. But it’s an absolute fact that over the last 25 years they have done less with more talent than probably every school in the state

Attendance is not equal to environment. The Pit only hold 10k but you have people watching from fences outside of the stadium and the environment is every bit as good as any stadium in the state. Also, every single one of those 10k+ are watching the game, standing, cheering, etc.

At a public school you don't get that kind of engagement.
You obviously have not been to a game at Massillon. Fans go to watch the game. We’re just lucky because we get the lady playing the calliopy in front of the stadium, the great stadium to go into, the state of the art scoreboard with instant replay, the statue of Paul Brown to walk past, the large indoor practice facility to tour, the large crowds, the fans yelling TIG-ERS across the field because we have fans on both sides and in the end zones, the great games, the great band shows, the fireworks after touchdowns, the crazy student body, and then the party downtown after we win where the police close off Lincolnway and the bars and restaurants open up and people drink/cheer/and wait for the team to come through on buses. Ya you keep hoping you could have “engagement” like that. But there is only ONE Massillon.

You obviously have not been to a game at Massillon. Fans go to watch the game. We’re just lucky because we get the lady playing the calliopy in front of the stadium, the great stadium to go into, the state of the art scoreboard with instant replay, the statue of Paul Brown to walk past, the large indoor practice facility to tour, the large crowds, the fans yelling TIG-ERS across the field because we have fans on both sides and in the end zones, the great games, the great band shows, the fireworks after touchdowns, the crazy student body, and then the party downtown after we win where the police close off Lincolnway and the bars and restaurants open up and people drink/cheer/and wait for the team to come through on buses. Ya you keep hoping you could have “engagement” like that. But there is only ONE Massillon.
I have two responses here:

A. You should try winning more with all of those resources

B. If your idea of a party is Lincoln way in Massillon then I pity you

Sounds like an elder game. Just worse football.

This is sad to read. Is there nothing better to do in Massilon than watch 17 yr olds play Division 2 HS football? Sounds like weak town.

Agree with "you should try winning more with all those resources"

I believe Massillon has the most football wins in Ohio High School Football. 934 to be exact. it’s just harder to win the championship when your playing teams that buy players.

And I will take a party on Lincolway with thousands of fellow fans with a town that loves its team win or lose any day of the week compared to hypocrite.

I believe Massillon has the most football wins in Ohio High School Football. 934 to be exact. it’s just harder to win the championship when your playing teams that buy players.
Who buys players? Any evidence?

The catholic schools likely do not buy players. They are of high moral character. St. X for example encompasses "the long blue line" which is all about ethics and morality. I'm sure Ed's, I's, Moeller & Elder do something similar.

Offseason nearing it's end who is getting too much hype and who isn't getting enough? I'll kick things off with a few.

Underrated:

- Lakota West: Great coach, tough for a GMC team to get recognition but they should be up there with the catholic school powers in Cincy for the foreseeable future.
- St. Ignatius: They can always play with anybody but it seems like people have them a step below some of the other big schools in the post Kyle era.
- Bishop Fenwick: Some people dislike a fanbase and that clouds their judgement of a very good D4 program.
- Ft. Loramie: Good lower division program. Would get a lot more love if they were in the MAC.

Overrated:
- Massillon: Decent team but getting a lot of hype, will probably beat a struggling team from GA and continue the hype train until Hoban or somebody else blows the doors off of them.
- Steubenville: Beating up on talented DC teams with bad coaching is cool and all but not my thing. Overrated.
- The entire MAC: I saw a post saying Marion Local could compete with D1 teams. Keep having fun dominating D5-7 but let's be real here...

Feel free to drop your own opinions below - embrace debate!
You may call it good coaching, but the Wing T stuff with slow running backs combined with no passing game will not work against Steubenville: You know this firsthand from 2015, 2017. Rock Christian Academy, who had 5th year players that nobody in the DC area minus Dematha Catholic beat Big Red last year(nearby running clocked them at some point the game, & won the other meeting a few years back as well.

Big Red has some nice talent returning, opens with Ursuline, but lost a lot from last year including a 2 year starter at QB. You call that overrated?

Underrated:
- Ft. Loramie

Overrated:
- Massillon
- The entire MAC
I agree with FL being underrated and Massillon being overrated, but the MAC overrated? Really?
They've won 39 state playoff titles in football. 39! Come on, man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.