Most Suprising Game Match Up?

Defiance @ Milton-Union in 2020.

It's odd because outside of playoff games, we've played the same 10 schools every season since the last time the WBL changed back in like 1982.

In 2011 Delphos St Johns hosted perennial Michigan state power Detroit Catholic Central. They lost a tight one 14-7. If I remember St Johns lost their starting Qb and still had a shot to win.

Detroit CC went 12-2 and lost in the Michigan D1 state championship that year. Detroit CC likely had far more boys on the football team than Delphos St Johns had in the school. The listed enrollment for DCC that year was 2046 boys.

Delphos St Johns was D6, would likely have been D7 if it existed. Probably around 120 boys in the school.

Care to explain? Curious as to why you think that.

DVII so goes as Marion Local or the best DVII MAC school when ML is not DVII. ML was a bit down in 2019, thus I believe DVII was down. In the 10 years that DVII has been around:
* ML or a MAC school has won it 7 times (ML 4, New Bremen 2, Minster 1)
* McComb in 2018, Warren JFK in 2016 and Fort Recovery in 2015 won a DVII State Title but Marion Local was in DVI each of those years
*** 2018 McComb did not play any MAC school in the playoffs. The best DVII MAC school was probably Minster (8-4) who lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
*** 2016 Warren JFK (14-1) did beat Minster (10-5) 24-6 in the State Title Game. Minster lost to ML in wk 4, 44-6
*** 2015 Fort Recovery (13-2) did beat Minster in the playoffs 33-21, this was a rematch from a wk 7 14-12 Minster victory. FR also lost to ML in wk 8, 28-0

Marion Local has a all time great coach and has been on a 25 year run that is as good as anyone's in the State of Ohio for High School Football. The 4 State Championships that ML has in DVII, I would guess they could have played/beaten the DIV or DV State Champions most years. In some cases, they did during the regular season. However, in 2019 ML was a bit down and therefore I believe DVII was down.

I do believe the addition of DVII has diluted the quality of playoff teams at the DVI and DVII level (especially DVII). From a fan perspective, how many ML- Kirtland or ML-Coldwater Rd 2 matchup's have we missed out on?

The 4 State Championships that ML has in DVII, I would guess they could have played/beaten the DIV or DV State Champions most years. In some cases, they did during the regular season. However, in 2019 ML was a bit down and therefore I believe DVII was down.
What D-IV and D-V state champions did Marion Local beat?
And most years Marion Local would not beat the D-IV or D-V champion. Marion Local would get steamrolled by Glenville for instance.

What are some games that featured odd match ups in the past or are going to take place this year? These games could be based on location, school size, conferences, etc...

For example...

In 1953 Licking Heights defeated Dublin 25-20.The game came at a time when Licking Heights was only 3 years into playing 11 man ball and had a schedule that featured Newark's JV team and Columbus Holy Rosary on it.

In 1962-3 Gahanna split match ups with Licking Heights.

Even more wild was 2003 when LH played Olentangy Liberty Week 1 (OL's inagural game, they won 14-0) and Westerville Central Week 2 (LH won 26-0). This came at a time when they were still playing Millersport and an upstart football program called Harvest Prep.

What D-IV and D-V state champions did Marion Local beat?
And most years Marion Local would not beat the D-IV or D-V champion. Marion Local would get steamrolled by Glenville for instance.

Marion Local beat D5 Champ Coldwater in 2013. That year Coldwater beat Bishop Hartley twice. Once in regular season and again in state title. 2014 Marion Local shutout D5 Champ Coldwater. That year Coldwater beat Canton Central by 40 points in the state final. CCC beat Hartley and Ursuline in the playoffs that year. In 2007 Marion Local beat D4 champs Coldwater. Marion beat Ursuline that year in the finals. The 2017 Marion Local team that running clocked Kirtland would have been a handful for any team below D2. MSML can't compete at that level every year obviously but they have had some years where they could.

DVII so goes as Marion Local or the best DVII MAC school when ML is not DVII. ML was a bit down in 2019, thus I believe DVII was down. In the 10 years that DVII has been around:
* McComb in 2018, Warren JFK in 2016 and Fort Recovery in 2015 won a DVII State Title but Marion Local was in DVI each of those years
*** 2018 McComb did not play any MAC school in the playoffs. The best DVII MAC school was probably Minster (8-4) who lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
*** 2016 Warren JFK (14-1) did beat Minster (10-5) 24-6 in the State Title Game. Minster lost to ML in wk 4, 44-6
*** 2015 Fort Recovery (13-2) did beat Minster in the playoffs 33-21, this was a rematch from a wk 7 14-12 Minster victory. FR also lost to ML in wk 8, 28-0

Marion Local has a all time great coach and has been on a 25 year run that is as good as anyone's in the State of Ohio for High School Football. The 4 State Championships that ML has in DVII, I would guess they could have played/beaten the DIV or DV State Champions most years. In some cases, they did during the regular season. However, in 2019 ML was a bit down and therefore I believe DVII was down.

I do believe the addition of DVII has diluted the quality of playoff teams at the DVI and DVII level (especially DVII). From a fan perspective, how many ML- Kirtland or ML-Coldwater Rd 2 matchup's have we missed out on?
Fort Recovery is in the MAC

When I was a sophomore in 1980 nc played new Albany 1st game. They and lh were Nc size 1st year of d5. As the smallest division.
Looking at the 1st LCL, its amazing that LH even played in it. The school was so so small. They had a decent season in 76. But other than the lates 60s (before NC joined in 73) LH was non-existent as an opponent. The first year NC joined LH played Watkins, NC and Licking Valley in consecutive weeks until 75. Talk about a brutal 3 weeks for a school that maybe had 25 players on its roster.

Fort Recovery is in the MAC

Thank you for the correction. I should have realized that when Fort Recovery played ML in week 8 during league play. For some reason I aways get Fort Recovery & Fort Loramie mixed up.

So the MAC has won 8 of 10 DVII titles.

Looking at the 1st LCL, its amazing that LH even played in it. The school was so so small. They had a decent season in 76. But other than the lates 60s (before NC joined in 73) LH was non-existent as an opponent. The first year NC joined LH played Watkins, NC and Licking Valley in consecutive weeks until 75. Talk about a brutal 3 weeks for a school that maybe had 25 players on its roster.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Watkins was the largest LCL school back then, given that it has three villages within the district.

Lucas had a D1 school (Western Hills) scheduled in 2021 (The only D7 vs D1 game scheduled statewide). That
game was eventually cancelled (by WH). Lucas then scheduled 4-0 D2 Lakewood and beat them in a thriller.
I'm not taking nothing away from Lucas because you guys definitely have a great program but I feel like if you guys are going to play up you actually got to play a team that's going to punch back. When I was in high school we scheduled Cincinnati Western hills and that probably was the worst team I've ever seen in my entire life. I mean I understand that they are D1 but come on my man I don't some them schools y'all played could beat a JV team.

2 games I can remember that was awkward to me was .. Canton Central Catholic playing Cincinnati Winton Woods in 2018 I believe and Massillon vs Wooster in 2021 was one of the most awkward games I ever been to I my life the whole vibe was off

I'm not taking nothing away from Lucas because you guys definitely have a great program but I feel like if you guys are going to play up you actually got to play a team that's going to punch back. When I was in high school we scheduled Cincinnati Western hills and that probably was the worst team I've ever seen in my entire life. I mean I understand that they are D1 but come on my man I don't some them schools y'all played could beat a JV team.
So now, when a D7 schedules and D1, they must make sure the D1 is a quality program. Got it. :cautious:

Please enlighten us...which D1 teams should D7 schools schedule is the future? Can you provide a list of acceptable schools? SMH.
It only looks good to schedule up against perceived "good programs". How about Lucas scheduling up against Wadsworth. Is this
acceptable? How about Lorain? Elyria? Sycamore? Walnut Hills? Any program except Western Hills?

Last edited:

1. Fort Recovery is in the MAC.

2. Marion Local was a bit down (they won the state title), so D7 was a bit down. Ok. 😐 Anna (14-1) won the D6
state championship that year, blasting unbeaten NM Springfield by 34 points. Marion Local was Anna's one loss.

End of argument.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Niles McKinley was a state super power throughout the 1960s boosting a 48 game undefeated streak. They eventually left the Steel Valley Conference to play teams from all over Ohio. This included a yearly meeting with at least one Cincinnati area program--- Taft, Withrow, Middletown, Aiken. Two meetings with Cincinnati Roger Bacon were as big as any ever played in Ohio. Played on Saturday afternoons, the brown & white tied host Niles 0-0 in week 4 (1963). Niles lost at the Spartans lair in St. Bernard, Ohio in week 7 of '64. That same year ('64) the Dragons hosted Cincinnati LaSalle in week 4.

In a very unusual game for its time (1947) Ursuline visited Chillicothe (week 7) in the southern part of the state in the era before interstates and expressways. That was the year all star Zippy Morocco ran ship shod over opponents of the green & gold. He scored 4 TDs in an 18-14 Irish victory. Round trip that was travelling 450 miles for a high school football game. I wonder if one of the Ursuline sisters drove the team bus?

This fall Cincinnati Dohn travels to Rayen Stadium on Sept. 22 to take on the East High Golden Bears. This may be the 1st time the Bears have faced a team from the Queen City.

Many years ago I saw results from 1938 that listed Chaney playing at Portsmouth on Thanksgiving Day, it just said Portsmouth. I remember thinking how that was a pretty long haul from Youngstown to Portsmouth, Ohio, especially in 1938 with roads being what they were then as you noted. I subsequently found out that they didn't play at Portsmouth, Ohio they played Woodrow Wilson of Portsmouth, Virginia down there. That's pretty close to 500 miles one way. Chaney won 6-0 with a Frank Sinkwich punt return setting up the lone score. South played Portsmouth, Ohio in 1930 but that was here.

In 1930 Chaney played at Columbus Central, they won 14-0. What people talked about however was right as the first half ended the west stands collapsed and 110 people were injured, 60 were hospitalized, one from Youngstown.

South and Rayen had some surprisingly distant opponents going way back but most of them were played here.

1. Fort Recovery is in the MAC.

2. Marion Local was a bit down (they won the state title), so D7 was a bit down. Ok. 😐 Anna (14-1) won the D6
state championship that year, blasting unbeaten NM Springfield by 34 points. Marion Local was Anna's one loss.

End of argument.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Ask Marion Local fans. Yes ML did beat Div VI champ Anna 17-14 in wk 5 or so but the also lost to Minster by a point. Anna took Minster out in the playoffs by 20 some points. I would guess most MAC fans would say that Anna was by far the best team in the league that year but in wk 5 - ML was better.

Still say DVII was down in 2019 just because ML was not their dominant self.