Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Ed's in 1 or more OT

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Ed's by 1-6 (no OT)

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Ed's by 7+

Votes: 27 34.2%

• Total voters
I've thought there would be a rematch in December many times and I was wrong every time. It didn't help in 2012/2013 when we beat Moeller and watched them win the title. Also thought we would have a rematch the past 2 years and didn't, Moe just couldn't get past Springfield. But it just goes to show you that whoever wins this game isn't going to magically win the title. My joke on this thread in years past has been whoever loses Eds/Moe is my new favorite in D1.

Nevertheless, should be a great game as usual. Love late afternoon games at Lakewood. I think Eds has the edge because the games up here, but Moeller seems to be playing at their best now.
D1 seems a little different to me this year, Springfield is trash and who's gonna compete with St. Ed? It'll happen.

He is out for the year. Scheme for the new quarterback!
I do hope that CB is playing in this game. I see no reason to hold him out since he played last week. I would like for Moe to get a shot at shutting him down in order to eliminate the post game excuses that Eds was not at their best. Look, I don't know how this game will turn out, but I hope he utilizes his RPO to the fullest. Big Moe will be prepared so there are no excuses on our part. Besides, from what I have seen from the backup, he might be a better slinger of the pigskin than CB. Either way, I like Moe's defensive backs vs Ed's wide receivers matchup.
GBM 💪 🏈

St. I's two home losses and the ones vs. St. Edward's and Austintown Fitch were due to purposefully riding around school parking lots in a bus for hour's on end to provide a just-in-case excuse. Puh-leeze!
Thank you. That was the most BS post I've seen on here in quite some time.

I do hope that CB is playing in this game. I see no reason to hold him out since he played last week. I would like for Moe to get a shot at shutting him down in order to eliminate the post game excuses that Eds was not at their best. Look, I don't know how this game will turn out, but I hope he utilizes his RPO to the fullest. Big Moe will be prepared so there are no excuses on our part. Besides, from what I have seen from the backup, he might be a better slinger of the pigskin than CB. Either way, I like Moe's defensive backs vs Ed's wide receivers matchup.
GBM 💪 🏈
He’s playing. He was being facetious.

The game will be vanilla because neither will won't to show the other anything. Maybe each will try something different to see how each react but overall the game means nothing. The regular season is now nothing more than 10 exhibition games with everyone making the playoffs. The real season starts in 2 weeks. The most important part is both come out healthy. Then let the chips fall where they may. Good luck to both teams.

I know that Elder game is the basis of comparison for a lot of people (Ed's won by 1, Moeller blew them out), but I think there are a lot of factors that made those games what they were. In this game, Moeller definitely has the better QB and RB (Ponataski is really really good and is only a sophomore; Marshall is going to Michigan), but I think Ed's is better everywhere else. The big challenge for Moeller will be their offensive line against the Ed's defensive line. If they can hold up, Moeller can move the ball and generate points. If not, it will be a long day on offense for Moeller. On the other side of the ball, I don't think it's going to be anything fancy. Ed's is going to run the ball a lot with that great offensive line. Moeller is very good on the back end of their defense, but they're not that big up front. They've hit their stride playing their GCL-S brethren, who have run the ball collectively at 3.9 ypc on the season. Moeller held X to 1.5 ypc, Lasalle to 2.6 ypc, and Elder to 1.8 ypc. In Moeller's 3 losses to Indiana schools, they gave up 5.9 ypc, 8.6 ypc, and 5.1 ypc. I see Ed's moving the ball and scoring about as much as they did against Elder (something in the 30s). The question is if Moeller's offense can keep pace. I don't think they quite do. Ed's 34-24.

Last edited:
Moe is a very dangerous team right now. They are getting better every week and they have the best player on the field in every game.

This could honestly be a state championship preview depending on how the region match-ups play out.

Eds - 28
Moe - 27

Last year the Eagles did about as good a job on Jordan Marshall as you can hope for, "limiting" him to 106 yards, keeping him out of the endzone on a couple redzone trips, and forcing two fumbles. I don't know that we should expect a similar performance from what I've seen so far from this year's version of the Green Wall. Not sure if Moeller's QB is a run threat at all, but that has been the achilles heel for Ed's. If he's not, I'd think about letting Marshall run a decent amount of wildcat until Ed's shows they can stop him. Draw the LB's out of the box and let Marshall run between the tackles.

I have heard the running QB concern throughout the years. Why hasn’t this been addressed or what is happening to improve this?

Pappas is often praised on this forum for his creative blitz packages, but how about neutralizing the running QB. It has cost the eagles a few losses throughout the years if I’m not mistaken?

I have heard the running QB concern throughout the years. Why hasn’t this been addressed or what is happening to improve this?

Pappas is often praised on this forum for his creative blitz packages, but how about neutralizing the running QB. It has cost the eagles a few losses throughout the years if I’m not mistaken?
I would think the difficulty with addressing it is that it's just extremely difficult to stop. It requires a ton of discipline with regards to your linebackers and d-lineman and many teens will over pursue on plays that they feel they've correctly identified. I think a big difference are quarterbacks running due to the play design (draws and read option) which I think they've mostly been able to stop over the years. And quarterbacks who scramble well or break down a play through their own athleticism. 2 examples I think of with the latter are Braxton Miller in 2010 and Mitch Trubisky in 2012, it just seemed like no matter what was thrown at them they could wriggle out of it and make a play.

A concern I have from watching the Massillon game is that they had a quarterback who ran all over us on designed runs. The Eagles can bend and not break but they got burned too often in that game. All that being said, we only lost by 2 points. Moeller will be a great game I think and hopefully a preview of a December matchup!

Even with the right scheme defending a superior athlete at the QB position is always a tall task. Against Massillon I thought we had guys in position several times to make plays on Owens, but they either failed to make the play or Owens made them miss. The Canada North QB was a fine athlete, but not on Owens level and picked up easy yards far too often against a defense with either a one-man or empty box and three down lineman. Recipe for disaster. Have to play more assignment-sound football and quit crashing our LB's into gaps in hopes that the ball carrier is going there.

I'm kind of surprised this thread went dark after Thursday.

What a game. If you weren't there, you missed a classic. Even if it doesn't end up meaning anything. The weather was horrible in the first and fourth quarters and only tolerable in quarters two and three. But that's Cleveland in October.

Marshall #24 was all he was advertised to be and it's unfortunate he was injured late in the second quarter on a catch and run for good yardage. He had one great run in Moeller's first drive, and although Ed's largely held him in check for his other carries, he still seems to get 3-4 yards on his worst carries. I hope he's ok and has time to heal before the title game. And if there's a D1 team that can beat Moeller before week 16. I'd like to see them.

And our sophomore Brandon White #28 had a real coming out party. I stopped counting his yards after he got to 250. He is a star in the making and will be talked about across Ohio in the next two years. Ironically, if a RB (who would have played in front of him) hadn't transferred out of Eds, he wouldn't have seen the field thais year. Fate always plays a role.

Can anyone at this game image a rematch featuring Jordan Marshall #24 against Brandon White #28? All I can say is WOW!

As for my Eagles I have two concerns.

First, we will need to hit some passes to win games to get to week 16. We can't miss wide open receivers after the run sets up easy home run throws. The first example was to Sullivan #10 ( admittedly it was close) and the second was to Kyan Mason #1 where he was running free. You just can't miss those easy throws. Moeller had far tougher throws and executed all of them.

On to my second concern. Besides White for Eds, the other superstar today was WR Love #13 for Moeller. We had no answer for him. He took us apart. initially on crossing routes, then he just went up and got the ball on everything. He was dominate. Hats off to the young Moeller QB #7 who threw for over 350 yards, most of which was in the 2nd half, with Marshall out.

A few other takeaways.

I was impressed with Moe's front four #15. #96, #97 and #98 and the two substitutes (I think #55 was one) in the first quarter. By quarter two, Eds OL started to exert themselves inside. Still the Moeller DL is an athletic group with size that can (and will) dominate most teams.

I thought Eds did a good job against Moeller's TEs that normally kill us. Of course they didn't need the TE's with #13 and #11, but we did stop any TE threats.

Moeller has one of the best punters I've seen in years. This kid absolutely booms them even in bad conditions. He will be a factor. He indirectly led to Kyan Mason #1 muffing a punt early in the game and gave Moeller a first half opportunity.

Andrews #25 was dominate for Eds. He had a pick in Q1 and was all over the field. He had one of the best hits of the year late in Q4 on a Moeller WR. He's a legacy kid (Bobby and Danny Andrews) and he's you classic "lunchpail" player that delivers week in and week out.

While Logan Thomas was disruptive, he was held on virtually every play. Nevertheless, I thought Moeller did a good job containing him. They moved a TE to his side often and kept him at bay especially in the 2nd half.

There's a lot of football to play until we get to week 16, but these two teams were real heavyweights throwing punches back and forth today. If they can both stay relatively healthy and avoid letdowns. we might see a week 16 showdown.

Really great game. Better than anything I'll see on Sunday!!!

Go Eagles!

Last edited:

What a game. If you weren't there, you missed a classic. Even if it doesn't end up meaning anything. The weather was horrible in the first and fourth quarters and only tolerable in quarters two and three. But that's Cleveland in October.

Marshall #24 was all he was advertised to be and it's unfortunate he was injured late in the second quarter on a catch and run for good yardage. He had one great run in Moeller's first drive, and although Ed's largely held him in check for his other carries, he still seems to get 3-4 yards on his worst carries. I hope he's ok and has time to heal before the title game. And if there's a D1 team that can beat Moeller before week 16. I'd like to see them.

And our sophomore Brandon White #28 had a real coming out party. I stopped counting his yards after he got to 250. He is a star in the making and will be talked about across Ohio in the next two years. Ironically, if a RB (who would have played in front of him) hadn't transferred out of Eds, he wouldn't have seen the field thais year. Fate always plays a role.

Can anyone at this game image a rematch featuring Jordan Marshall #24 against Brandon White #28? All I can say is WOW!

First, we will need to hit some passes to win games to get to week 16. We can't miss wide open receivers after the run sets up easy home run throws. The first example was to Sullivan #10 ( admittedly it was close) and the second was to Kyan Mason #1 where he was running free. You just can't miss those easy throws. Moeller had far tougher throws and executed all of them.

On to my second concern. Besides White for Eds, the other superstar today was WR Love #13 for Moeller. We had no answer for him. He took us apart. initially on crossing routes, then he just went up and got the ball on everything. He was dominate. Hats off to the young Moeller QB #7 who threw for over 350 yards, most of which was in the 2nd half, with Marshall out.

A few other takeaways.

I was impressed with Moe's front four #15. #96, #97 and #98 and the two substitutes (I think #55 was one) in the first quarter. By quarter two, Eds OL started to exert themselves inside. Still the Moeller DL is an athletic group with size that can (and will) dominate most teams.

I thought Eds did a good job against Moeller's TEs that normally kill us. Of course they didn't need the TE's with #13 and #11, but we did stop any TE threats.

Moeller has one of the best punters I've seen in years. This kid absolutely booms them even in bad conditions. He will be a factor. He indirectly led to Kyan Mason #1 muffing a punt early in the game and gave Moeller a first half opportunity.

Andrews #25 was dominate for Eds. He had a pick in Q1 and was all over the field. He had one of the best hits of the year late in Q4 on a Moeller WR. He's a legacy kid (Bobby and Danny Andrews) and he's you classic "lunchpail" player that delivers week in and week out.

While Logan Thomas was disruptive, he was held on virtually every play. Nevertheless, I thought Moeller did a good job containing him. They moved a TE to his side often and kept him at bay especially in the 2nd half.

There's a lot of football to play until we get to week 16, but these two teams were real heavyweights throwing punches back and forth today. If they can both stay relatively healthy and avoid letdowns. we might see a week 16 showdown.

Go Eagles!
Whew! A lot to digest with your very detailed (and fair) analysis; I cannot argue with much. Hope to get healthy for a run.

A few other takeaways.

Go Eagles!

Good post. 2 sophomore's took over the game for both teams. Interesting to not Moeller starts 3 sophs and 9 juniors. Not sure how many underclassmen for Ed's, but it looks like both programs will be very good moving forward. Hopefully we see a rematch in week 16.