Moe QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCLMAN

After all the discussion on this board about who is doing what to who, has the dust settled any?

Is Oltorick the starter from here out, barring injury?

Is Morris out with his 20-1 lifetime record as a starting Moe qb?

If so, is he still looking at a transfer elsewhere?

Wasn't at Elder game, but heard that several fans were very vocal about the OC play calling issues which apparently continued and heard that Bob could hear them loud and clear. Is this true and is their any response from the coaching staff that any one has heard?

Hope the dust is at least starting to settle on this because the next three weeks look like a gaunlet.

In my opinion, Morris should be the starter. I think that Oltorik will be. Odom seems to like him better. Morris got a few snaps last week in practice and did very well. During the game, Odom did put him in there for a total of 3 snaps. He said at films last night that Morris was tenative, so they put Oltorik back in there. How in the ---- can you tell if someone is tenative when they hand the ball off twice in the first half and once in the second? True, both times he was in there resulted in turnovers. The one in the second half was allegedly Morris' fault. He pitched when it was supposed to be a handoff. Still, Morris looked good in practice. Besides, he hadn't played in two weeks, he's bound to be a little rusty. On that point, Oltorik still isn't the man yet, but he did look much better against Elder. He threw with more confidence, still off his back foot, but with much more confidence.

The playcalling for the Elder game was good overall. The pass with 7 and a half minutes left that resulted in the INT was questionable. That's about it. Odom said about that play that the WR didn't get up and out off the line where he should've been, and that's what resulted in the INT. As far as hearing things from the stands, you could hear what the parents and fans were saying, according to my friend who was on the sideline for that game, but he didn't hear any negative comments. Doesn't mean they weren't there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morris did fumble the snap on the second play (I think) of his first series. At the end of the game when he came back in it was a bad pitch which resulted in another turnover deep in Moeller territory. I was all for Morris to be the guy but now I don't know what to think. Unless the lightbulb goes on soon for one of the QB's we might be sitting home in week 11.

THe more Morris plays, the better off he gets. He's a bit rusty as would be expected, but he's a good QB and knows how to win.

At this point, I can't really decide which QB they should go with, because I have not seen enough of either one. I think Oltorik has the potential to be good and so does Morris but neither one is quite there yet. The way things look right now it seems they are leaning toward Oltorik. If we can run the ball every game like we did against Elder it won't matter too much anyway. As long we hold onto the ball and don't turn it over, we will be fine.

BRICKtamland said:
At this point, I can't really decide which QB they should go with, because I have not seen enough of either one. I think Oltorik has the potential to be good and so does Morris but neither one is quite there yet. The way things look right now it seems they are leaning toward Oltorik. If we can run the ball every game like we did against Elder it won't matter too much anyway. As long we hold onto the ball and don't turn it over, we will be fine.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet when you have not one, but two guys who go over the 200 yard rushing mark in the same game.

Also, about the fumbled snap on the second play for Morris in the first half- the center came off the field smacking himself in the head, so I think maybe that wasn't Ryan's fault. Also, it's hard to say who's fault it was on the second one, since it seemed to be a communication breakdown. But, all's well that ended well. Hopefully Tim will let Ryan get more snaps in practice this week to work some of that rust out. After all, even if they do decide to go with the soph, Ryan is only one play away from having to get in there. Hopefully even if Ryan doesn't start, he can split time with the big O :D a little more evenly than last week.

We need to stick with experience. While the sophomore may be the future nothing replaces time on the field.

I have seen both kids play (yes, even some Sycamore boosters attend) and my take was that while Oltorik may be a shade less talented athlete in the long run I think he'll be the better QB. He looks comfortable and confident back there as opposed to Morris who looks as if he's playing to not make a mistake. That's the worst habit any Qb can get into. Maybe he never had to worry before about competing for a spot and this is the first sign of it. No offense, but if he can't handle competition from Oltorik then he won't handle the pressure of a GCL schedule.

moe1207 said:
We need to stick with experience. While the sophomore may be the future nothing replaces time on the field.
At this point the sophomore, Oltorick, has more varsity time on the field than Morris.
As to Morris, I'm sick of seeing the Offense turn the ball over so much when he's in there Twice against Elder and that boneheaded pass on his first attempt when he was falling down against Findlay.
This kid needs to get his head together.

Last edited by a moderator:
GCLMAN said:
After all the discussion on this board about who is doing what to who, has the dust settled any?

Is Oltorick the starter from here out, barring injury?

Is Morris out with his 20-1 lifetime record as a starting Moe qb?

If so, is he still looking at a transfer elsewhere?

Wasn't at Elder game, but heard that several fans were very vocal about the OC play calling issues which apparently continued and heard that Bob could hear them loud and clear. Is this true and is their any response from the coaching staff that any one has heard?

Hope the dust is at least starting to settle on this because the next three weeks look like a gaunlet.

I believe me and my big mouth were once again question the play calling of the OC. But I wasn't the only one. I can only hope that Coach Crable heard it loud and clear. It is bad enough when knowledgable fans question the playcalls.....even worse when it is moms and grandmoms.

By the way, this is not a slam on females. Some of them are very knowledgable when it comes to football. (Trying to be PC).

can oltorik handle the pressure of being the qb when it comes down to it? on the last drive against lasalle i thought he held his composure, but experience would have helped there. having morris in the game (if he wasn't) would have helped a lot i think. against x, who will be the starter. in such a big game, will they go with the experienced guy?

If Morris plays around half of the DeSales game...I think he will start the last TWO games as he will be 100%. I think he's a good QB and his record as a starter is pretty good. 20-1. The one loss would be to ST. ED'S...look for him to avenge that loss in week #9.

I also see Mike Bimbry to play corner on varsity next season.

Re: Re: Moe QB

UncleBaldy said:
I believe me and my big mouth were once again question the play calling of the OC. But I wasn't the only one. I can only hope that Coach Crable heard it loud and clear. It is bad enough when knowledgable fans question the playcalls.....even worse when it is moms and grandmoms.

By the way, this is not a slam on females. Some of them are very knowledgable when it comes to football. (Trying to be PC).
Keep it to yourself or better yet, talk with the coaches directly. Know a little more about the offense. Some of the questionable calls were "hot" reads at the line. Not a good idea to turn these off and on in a QB's second start. Yelling at coaches from the stands sucks!

Re: Re: Re: Moe QB

Vox Crusada said:
Keep it to yourself or better yet, talk with the coaches directly. Know a little more about the offense. Some of the questionable calls were "hot" reads at the line. Not a good idea to turn these off and on in a QB's second start. Yelling at coaches from the stands sucks!
:rolleyes: I guess we better follow Vox's advice since he is such a fine know it all! :rolleyes:

Let's see, if you have someone raising a question the best defense is to shut them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Moe QB

MoeDude said:
Let's see, if you have someone raising a question the best defense is to shut them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MoeDude's way of raising a question would be to scream anonymously at coaches from the stands, or better yet, anonymously post diatribes against them on a website without even raising your question. Even post false charges about coaches risking players lives. That's a great way to get questions answered.

Re: Re: Re: Moe QB

Vox Crusada said:

I'd have to second that Vox. Yelling from the stands does nothing at all except make you sound stupid. Talking directly to the coaches would take some balls. Very few have the nerve to do it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moe QB

Vox Crusada said:
MoeDude's way of raising a question would be to scream anonymously at coaches from the stands

First of all how can one scream "anonymously" from the stands???? And by the way, I was not at the Elder game so whoever it was you thought was me you are mistaken.

, or better yet, anonymously post diatribes against them on a website without even raising your question.

You don't know who I have or haven't talked to and question. So what makes your attacks on me so different than your accusations of me?

Even post false charges about coaches risking players lives. That's a great way to get questions answered.

Again I don't have to justify anything with you Vox. I know what I know and if you don't like what I have to say about it that is your perogative. But the charges are not false!

Last edited:
Who's life was at risk??? Tell us!!! There were doctors and trainers and parents galore at that camp. Players were getting looked at a couple of times a day. If you really think that Crable doesn't care about the health of his players then it's time to trade in your Moeller avatar!

i heard that morris got into a fight (verbal) with odom and said... i quit i'm goin to st. x.... and then walked off the field - will he be playing any time soon? or what's the deal with this situation

Oltorik is still not the answer. He scrambles better than Morris, but that's it. I, for one, am very disappointed that the coaching staff is not putting the best option out on the field. TO should swallow his pride and do what's best for the team. Ross has gotten better each week, however- he focuses on his primary receiver the entire time. This is why he was picked off a couple of times against Elder and especially against DeSales. You also can forget about the vertical passing game with Ross in there. God forbid we play a team that can stop our running game. He's a nice kid with lots of potential, but, again, just not ready yet. Some will say that he's getting his experience now, but that's not the point. His arm strength isn't getting any better, and it won't without another year in the weightroom and spending a lot of time with the QB coach learning proper throwing technique. Every time I go to a game I want to take a 12 gauge and wait for another 25+ yard attempt (to shoot the ducks out of the sky). Maybe we should try to put in the triple for the remainder of the year.;)

Last edited:
Morris started the J.V. game against DeSales and once again all he did was win the game.
He made throws that Oltorik at this time just can't make. With the way Williams and Uecker are running the ball we need a quarterback that can throw off the play action. If we can't run against St. Eds were in big trouble, but I think we will be able to because our O-Line gets better and better each week. No turn-overs and we win.

Ross is the best option at QB. I don't know what you're talking about Wildbill, because he threw a couple nice deep balls against Desales for some big completions. He also threw very well off the play-action to the full back. And he has much better arm strength than you are giving him credit for, better than Morris anyway. You should be supporting the QB that is trying to lead us into the playoffs, rather than calling for another change even though he continues to improve and we have won two straight. Our offense has looked better the last 2 games than it has all season.

BRICKtamland said:
Ross is the best option at QB. I don't know what you're talking about Wildbill, because he threw a couple nice deep balls against Desales for some big completions. He also threw very well off the play-action to the full back. And he has much better arm strength than you are giving him credit for, better than Morris anyway. You should be supporting the QB that is trying to lead us into the playoffs, rather than calling for another change even though he continues to improve and we have won two straight. Our offense has looked better the last 2 games than it has all season.

That's because we have ran the ball more effectively the last two weeks and done it more often. As far as Ross' arm strength, you have to be joking. I did not go to the DeSales game, but my best friend was there telling me all about it. I will watch the film tomorrow and report my own observations. According to my source at the DeSales game, his biggest problem was only looking to his primary receiver. That comes with experience and reps. Morris already has that. I watched the film of the Elder game and did not see them even attempt a long pass (see the last throw at LaSalle for the reason there). As far as support goes, of course I will support Ross and every other kid on that team, once the game starts. I have repeatedly said that he has gotten better each week. I think he's a great kid- I've heard he is very nice and personable. I wish him only the best and hope that he leads us to the state championship his senior year. Right now, I think it should be Morris (21-1 as a starter). We can't be a one dimensional team going into the playoffs. We have to be able to throw the ball down the field and over the top when the opposing defense starts to crowd the line to stop the run and also try to jump the short routes in the secondary. If two guys are about even (they both have their strengths), then why wouldn't you go with the junior who just wins games and has an extra year of reps and experience learning how to read defenses? If you think that Ross has that part of the game figured out, go to films Monday and see if Odom agrees.

This thread has run its course. You guys are talking about two young teenagers. Some of this chat is alright but I think we have beat it into the ground. Time to move on. I think we all agree they are both talented QBs. Its just not clear right now which one could lead us to victory on a consistent basis.

Good luck to both of them whenever they are in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.