Massillon Washington (7-0) at Austintown Fitch (4-2)

Not to get too far off topic, and I know there's still a game for both, but Massillon - McKinley is looking to be a good one. Back to tonight, best of luck to the Falcons the rest of the way.

I can't figure out why in the first quarter we were opening up nice hole and Gamble was getting chunk yardage....then....we completely abandon it and go empty set and almost let Fitch back in the game. Anyway, it's pretty nice when you can look bad (in my opinion they did....at least very inconsistent) and still beat a good team by 35.

How is our pass defense being exposed?
I saw the receivers open all nite, sure the qb had some pressures but the better teams will hit those. Dont get me wrong, I love the play of this defense, but I personally think the back side is our weakness and it will be exposed at some point.

I saw the receivers open all nite, sure the qb had some pressures but the better teams will hit those. Dont get me wrong, I love the play of this defense, but I personally think the back side is our weakness and it will be exposed at some point.
I mean I respect your opinion but what you have to understand the receivers was not running open all night when we're playing a soft coverage then bend don't break if you notice once they crossed the 50 and got from the 35 yard line on that that short dink an dunk offense didn't work. The way Massillon played their defense tonight was perfect because if you notice when they went deep we were right there when you have a front seven like we do there's no reason to play press coverage

Last edited:
In the past 25 years, 15 actual games fitch has won 3
2023 42-7
2022 49-28
2021 31-21
2020 No game covid
2019 55-7
2018 42-14
2017 38-28
2016 38-21
2015 6-7 fitch
2014 34-34 fitch
2013 30-27 fitch
2012 34-14
No games for 10 years
2002 24-14
2001 54-14
2000 21-9
1999 41-7
1998 10-3 .

Breaking it down, Fitch won 3 in row from 13-15, and 17-18 were very competitive, before losing 5 straight. Last time Massillon won 5 straight there was a 10 yr hiatus, then it got renewed when the timing appeared more favorable. Look for history to repeat again at some point. Love the rivalry, love going to Fitch, always root for them & Harding, shame it ended at least temporarily.

Any time a team gets beat numerous years in a row to a out of conference opponent, expect to be dropped. Its a shame because Fitch has the talent to compete with Massillon but the defensive coaching is a disgrace. No reason to drop Massillon. Here come another Canadian team no one wants to see or joke academy to the schedule. I guess Fitch will drop that Pennsylvania team that beat them last year too.

Any time a team gets beat numerous years in a row to a out of conference opponent, expect to be dropped. Its a shame because Fitch has the talent to compete with Massillon but the defensive coaching is a disgrace. No reason to drop Massillon. Here come another Canadian team no one wants to see or joke academy to the schedule. I guess Fitch will drop that Pennsylvania team that beat them last year too.
Interesting take... a few questions I'm hoping you can answer:
First of all, It's* and comes*

But, do you really think year in and year out, Austintown Fitch has the roster to compete with Massillon? I think you'd be in the minority, but I've been wrong before. If they can consistently beat a perennial D2 power, then something is horribly wrong in Massillon.

Second, what's the last Canadian or "academy" school Fitch has played? This is unknown to me and just seems like a weak attempt at an inaccurate joke (low IQ move).

Also, don't be a schmuck. What specifically is deficient with the "defensive coaching?" You sound like one of those jerks who has no answers but just wants to look smart.
Thoughts on 4-down vs odd? Split safety vs 1 high? Specific game plans? I have a feeling not.

Also, don't be a schmuck. What specifically is deficient with the "defensive coaching?" You sound like one of those jerks who has no answers but just wants to look smart.
Thoughts on 4-down vs odd? Split safety vs 1 high? Specific game plans? I have a feeling not.
Austintown Fitch has been loaded with talent the last 3 years and underachieved. The defense is horrible anytime they play someone with a pulse. They gave up an average of 40 plus against Walsh who is solid but no Hoban, Some PA team I never heard of is still scoring as we speak running some archaic t formation, Massillon took it easy and only scored 42, and many people in valley were hearing that Fitch was a state contender and cannot beat Ursuline. Fitch beats up on cupcakes and loses to any real team they play and don't give the Ignatiuus win. They won 1 game in regular season. The offense is usually solid and the d a joke.

In 2023 : Massillon rushed for 439 yards while Fitch rushed for 12. In 2022: Massillon rushed for 406 yards while Fitch rushed for 49.
In 2021: Fitch out-gained Massillon when the OHSAA held out starters but still lost and again only had 18 rushing yards.
I would say there is an obvious issue with your run defense vs good teams but there seems to be a BIGGER issue with your rushing attack in those games. Something that would have been addressed if Annarella was still the HC, may he Rest In Peace.
Bad rushing defense, bad rushing offense and then dropping Massillon from the schedule shows they don’t want to compete in that type of physical game anymore. That is where the mentality of the program has gone. Didnt’t they pick up Massillon Perry? Talk about a drop off.

Do I expect Fitch to beat Massillon or Hoban...no. Does playing one of them in regular season show them where they need to or want to go...yes.
My complaint is when they play a real team, the defense get shredded. Does the offense struggle too....yes. With the talent available for Fitch, they should be able to compete with Walsh and no lose by 40.

Do I expect Fitch to beat Massillon or Hoban...no. Does playing one of them in regular season show them where they need to or want to go...yes.
My complaint is when they play a real team, the defense get shredded. Does the offense struggle too....yes. With the talent available for Fitch, they should be able to compete with Walsh and no lose by 40.
You keep using the word "talent," which is cleverly accurate. You can have an abundance of talent but that doesn't have anything to do with strength, physicality, mental toughness, or culture - things that come to mind when you want to talk about stopping the run and running the ball.
Separate your sweeping argument to a more pointed one and you'll be more convincing.

But you're still avoiding my main point, so let's try it this way: If you became the head coach tomorrow, what specifically would you change and how would you do it?
Because it's all too easy to sit on here and make general criticisms of entire programs. Please be specific.

I can't lie I lost a lot of respect for Fitch,that was a girly move imo. I felt that Massillon and austintown Fitch was a good little rivalry I really enjoyed going down there pretty good people great stadium great atmosphere and just the uproot that because you can't win it's crazy especially when you in the same reason as Hoban an walsh you might as well play some competition at a regular season to prepare yourself for the playoffs

You keep using the word "talent," which is cleverly accurate. You can have an abundance of talent but that doesn't have anything to do with strength, physicality, mental toughness, or culture - things that come to mind when you want to talk about stopping the run and running the ball.
Separate your sweeping argument to a more pointed one and you'll be more convincing.

But you're still avoiding my main point, so let's try it this way: If you became the head coach tomorrow, what specifically would you change and how would you do it?
Because it's all too easy to sit on here and make general criticisms of entire programs. Please be specific.
The program is great at collecting talent but the talent does not come together as a team. Maybe more leadership activities or team bonding but the talent level does not match the results is what I am saying. No way that PA team should have run all over the defense or Walsh treat the Falcons like a JV team.