Martin RPI

“Is it a perfect situation? Nothing is,” former coaches association president David Sheldon said. “I think if you look at strength of schedule and who wins and who you play, it’s just like what we’ve been doing with football for years.”
“I was very intrigued last year just following it throughout the year as he was just doing it on his own,” Sheldon said
. “Basically, we brought it up last April with 16 district directors across the state of Ohio. Our directors were very in favor. It takes all the bias out. It’s like the Harbin ratings in football.”

“Is it a perfect situation? Nothing is,” former coaches association president David Sheldon said. “I think if you look at strength of schedule and who wins and who you play, it’s just like what we’ve been doing with football for years.”
“I was very intrigued last year just following it throughout the year as he was just doing it on his own,” Sheldon said
. “Basically, we brought it up last April with 16 district directors across the state of Ohio. Our directors were very in favor. It takes all the bias out. It’s like the Harbin ratings in football.”
Breaking news....man who supports using RPI says others do too! 🤣 🤣

Its very sad when someone cannot trust what is being said by a respected person and because they do not like it, must find a way to strike it down.

I don't think it matters what they use to seed as long as teams can pick their bracket, as is the case in the SW District
Last year Taft would have been the 6th seed in their sectional per the RPI. Would you want to be the five teams that go in the bracket before Taft places themselves? It wouldn't impact Taft, but it sure would impact those five teams.

Last year Taft would have been the 6th seed in their sectional per the RPI. Would you want to be the five teams that go in the bracket before Taft places themselves? It wouldn't impact Taft, but it sure would impact those five teams.

It sure would have been a clear indication of who was the weakest of the top 5. :)

And that's what I'm getting at with the earning of the number one seed in any sectional. Sure it gives you the first choice of date and time, but it does not prevent the other schools who think they are equal to you from taking the same path. Coaches would still talk under an rpi seeding and therefore know who is going where just as they do now.

So your 4-5 pages of concerns for using the RPI has switched from Taft being poorly ranked to the schools that would not be able to avoid them.

You are classic. :p

So your 4-5 pages of concerns for using the RPI has switched from Taft being poorly ranked to the schools that would not be able to avoid them.

You are classic. :p
@spirit454 C'mon my man, how many times in this thread have you read a post from me about concern for Georgetown possibly getting their run last year cut short if Taft was the 6 seed? Don't be a typical message board clown, you have been better than that.

@D4fan definitely possible but I know many coaches who only talk to certain other coaching friends before the seed meeting. If you were the 4 seed and didn't have a relationship with Taft's coach to know where they are going at 6, would you be happy with the seeding method? I think that would be tough.

C'mon my man, how many times in this thread have you read a post from me about concern for Georgetown possibly getting their run last year cut short if Taft was the 6 seed? Don't be a typical message board clown, you have been better than that.
Tournament play has always been about matchups and getting hot at the right time. There will always be Cinderella story's and heartbreaking upsets. This will not change with the proposed seeding process.
definitely possible but I know many coaches who only talk to certain other coaching friends before the seed meeting. If you were the 4 seed and didn't have a relationship with Taft's coach to know where they are going at 6, would you be happy with the seeding method? I think that would be tough.
This, in part is the reason so many want the change.

Tournament play has always been about matchups and getting hot at the right time. There will always be Cinderella story's and heartbreaking upsets. This will not change with the proposed seeding process.
If this is your rationale, you may as well advocate for picking all matchups out of a hat.

If this is your rationale, you may as well advocate for picking all matchups out of a hat.
What a waste of time for you to post this. I support and believe in seeding teams based on their regular season accomplishments. EVERY coach's rationale is if they get beneficial matchups they can make a tournament run. MOST seasons we can find a team that exceeds their ranking and will have a good experience in tournament. Upsets happen all the time. Is this hard for you to understand?

I am guessing this Martin guy was upset that the school he follows, or possibly played for, or has a son/daughter that plays got a bad draw that he didn't think was fair and decides to come up with this system. Will this happen in baseball/softball, soccer or any other sport that uses a vote to figure out seeds? I'm just curious on why things need changed.

I am guessing this Martin guy was upset that the school he follows, or possibly played for, or has a son/daughter that plays got a bad draw that he didn't think was fair and decides to come up with this system. Will this happen in baseball/softball, soccer or any other sport that uses a vote to figure out seeds? I'm just curious on why things need changed.

I suggest a Google search. But I’ll help you out.

And in my opinion, the OHSAA is looking for a system like this to use for ALL team sports.

I suggest a Google search. But I’ll help you out.

And in my opinion, the OHSAA is looking for a system like this to use for ALL team sports.
Thanks.................I think!

You are exactly correct, HAHAHA. And OHSAA always likes to take the advice of fans who feel they have been screwed.

Come'on people.

Per Martin RPI Twitter they will be out by 7am. Monday. Several games today that they want to include in initial seedings.

Rankings were released this morning. Is Mr. Martin in hiding today? Cause he should be. Some of these rankings are atrocious. Might want to rethink whatever the formula is.

Agree, SWOH team rankings are a mess......when you look at schedules played:

Alter behind Tipp and 26th in Ohio is crazy
Carlisle above Tri-Village is crazy
D4 is awful....Cincy Christian and Fayetteville Perry ranked ahead of Troy Chr/Ft Loramie/Cedarville/Catholic Central is crazy!! Cedarville is 9-3 and just lost by 2 to the RPI's #2 team in Ohio (Leesburg Fairfield) and led by 17 at half. Cedarville is ranked 32nd.

The RPI is a great, great conversation piece during the season, but an awful ranking of teams.

D4 is awful....Cincy Christian and Fayetteville Perry ranked ahead of Troy Chr/Ft Loramie/Cedarville/Catholic Central is crazy!! Cedarville is 9-3 and just lost by 2 to the RPI's #2 team in Ohio (Leesburg Fairfield) and led by 17 at half. Cedarville is ranked 32nd.

The RPI is a great, great conversation piece during the season, but an awful ranking of teams.

This would be like freaking freaking out after week 3 or 4 in football. A lot of teams have 11-12 games left still. A lot WILL change.

Quick question... if a team is up by 17 point at half and loses, are they the good team or is the team that won?

I'm not sure I see anything special out of Cedarville. They've lost to any decent team on their schedule, including Greenview, who lost to a really, really bad London team.

This would be like freaking freaking out after week 3 or 4 in football. A lot of teams have 11-12 games left still. A lot WILL change.
Gotcha, no discussing the rankings until week 12! The same issues that made the rankings unreliable last year are still in the first ranking this year. Instead of always having an excuse, help your guy Martin to improve the rankings so they are reliable.

@spirit454 the point isn't who is better between the two, point is Cedarville is clearly closer than 30 spots to Fairfield. Not sure if Fairfield is worse or Cedarville is better, but those two teams are very similar.

Gotcha, no discussing the rankings until week 12! The same issues that made the rankings unreliable last year are still in the first ranking this year. Instead of always having an excuse, help your guy Martin to improve the rankings so they are reliable.

@spirit454 the point isn't who is better between the two, point is Cedarville is clearly closer than 30 spots to Fairfield. Not sure if Fairfield is worse or Cedarville is better, but those two teams are very similar.

You can discuss as you wish. You just need to have some understanding that these rankings are fluid, and change from game to game (week to week in Martin RPI case). Like I previously mentioned, a lot will change. Schedules strengthen/weaken, teams continue to win/loss, more games are added into the equation, etc.