Is the GDA now allowing high school play?

The other issue, which makes the problem, more complex, is that different states have different seasons. Some are in the fall. Some are in the spring. So the DA covers both. I think the ECNL offers opportunities to play in both season also. Is the DA supposed to be a way to create a feeder system for the national program? It does seem that once the player gets the D1 offer they are looking for or invite to a national camp, they may leave the DA program. I will also say this: the three players that came from the local DA program and played for Lakota West were all exceptional and one could pick them out without knowing who they were.

Right or wrong, the DA states that it does not want its players to play high school soccer because, unlike US Soccer and ECNL, the DA is a 9 month season. So, they train, practice, and play games during the high school season; whereas US Soccer and ECNL do not. To avoid having players attempting to play for both their respective high school teams and their DA teams at the same time (assuming the particular state association allows it), the DA does not allow it. The DA states that the reason is to prevent overuse injuries.

So, for the DA to allow kids to play high school soccer, the OHSAA would have to change its policy; or the DA would have to shorten its season and start in November. In this case, the DA would be no different than the other leagues. The DA could also let the players that want to play high school soccer join in November after their high school season is over. For a lot of team management issues, this wont work.

To me, its simple. No one is forcing a kid to play for the DA. If a kid wants to play high school soccer, she doesn’t have to play for the DA. There are more than enough high quality club soccer options for the kid that values the high school soccer experience.

You do realize that ECNL runs 9 months a year and allows for HS play (Starts first of November, ends mid July)? That's probably the only issue that kept the ECNL competitive with the creation of the DA. You can see cracks in the "No HS rule" with CDA last year and other DA clubs who either allowed their kids to play HS or just switched back to the ECNL.

DA failed to recognize that 90% of elite girls are more interested in college (And ostensibly HS) than the national team. Elite level girls are clearly looking at other options.

I don't think that one plan is better than the other. If you just want to play for a high level club than do it. If you want to do both than do it. But I do believe that it has to do with how good the high school coach is. Coach Reder at LW knows what she is doing. Other high schools, not so much. KD gets invited to the national camps. Does she still need the DA? I am asking honestly.

There is a national GDA event taking place now. Before most kids are out of school for winter break.

There is an ECNL national event that starts January 10th. After kids are done with winter break.

Who are the geniuses that schedule these things?

There is a national GDA event taking place now. Before most kids are out of school for winter break.

There is an ECNL national event that starts January 10th. After kids are done with winter break.

Who are the geniuses that schedule these things?
A couple of years ago, the NCAA instituted a dead period for women's soccer recruiting that occurs from 12/15 - 1/5. The coaches wanted this because they didn't like the continuous round of showcases that took place from Thanksgiving to New Years, robbing them of a true holiday break. Now, they have a break. This meant that a number of tournaments that took place over the Xmas break had to make changes (The Disney Showcase and the ECNL tournament are examples). Some moved in front of the break; while others moved to after the break.

I also think that down south the winter break seems to last more into January so that maybe it does not effect them so much. I know that many districts in Ohio are trying to wrap up the semester before the winter break meaning finals are going on now. Not a good time for a national tourney for us.

A couple of years ago, the NCAA instituted a dead period for women's soccer recruiting that occurs from 12/15 - 1/5. The coaches wanted this because they didn't like the continuous round of showcases that took place from Thanksgiving to New Years, robbing them of a true holiday break.
I had forgotten about the institution of the dead period. I'm not surprised that it came at the direction of the NCAA. The NCAA always does what is best for student-athletes :rolleyes:

As for the coaches wanting this, they knew what they signed up for when they became coaches.