Injuries for Ignatius Game

jnewyouth

Bombers-Bearcats-Bengals!
With Ball and Hurley both injured, how worried should we be heading into Ignatius this week?

With Ball and Hurley both injured, how worried should we be heading into Ignatius this week?

I think Iggy's starting QB is out as well with a collar bone injury. They are starting their sophomore backup so that should even the playing field a little bit.

Even if thses guys miss the game we still have the best defense and special teams play in the state and an offense that combined with the running game doesn't require the QB to make hard throw after hard throw to be explosive.

Grombala should be able to step up at WR just like he did when Scheidler went out. With Massa having Grombala, Scheidler, Milligan, and Kelly as primary throwing targets and with Romeo and Ashley out of the backfield, I'm not overly afraid of Iggy.

According to the Enquirer article, they're getting MRIs on Monday, so you're not likely to find out anything significant until then.

I dont think Hurley is replaceable. His loss is obviously bigger than Ball's, but Ball's maybe bigger than people realize. He added great blocking that we didnt have for the first half of the season as well as speed at TE.

Massa, physically wise is just as good as Hurley, if not better. But experience and the calm stature that Hurley has in the pocket will be gone. Teams will now blitz the ---- out of the offense now. I think we can still go on to win games, but itll be alot harder.

Has anyone heard how severe each injury is? How many weeks will each guy be out?

Also, is anyone else banged-up besides Hurley and Ball?

From the Enquirer sports blog:
The news does not appear good on St. Xavier QB John Hurley, who is feared to have suffered a torn ACL (knee) in Saturday's 45-0 win over Lakewood St. Edward.

"We won't know for sure until later today, but that's what it looks like," St. X coach Steve Specht just told me via phone.

WR Stephon Ball also injured a knee in the game, but Ball's is believed to be more of a sprain, Specht said.

"They're at the doctor right now," Specht said. "They may not read (the MRIs) until later in the day."

Specht said his heart goes out to Hurley, a senior who had been playing well.
"It is what it is ... that's life," Specht said. "It's tough for John."

Sophomore Luke Massa, who replaced Hurley and was 5-for-5 passing for 122 yards and a TD pass vs. St. Ed's, should be in the mix to replace Hurley along with senior Grift Krehnbrink. Specht said that decision has not been made, pending the official word on Hurley.

St. X is 8-0 and ranked No. 1 or 2 in the nation, depending on which poll you see. The loss of Hurley obviously puts a totally new spin on things, but whoever steps in will have two regular season games (at Clev. St. Ignatius, at Moeller) to prep before the playoffs.

I dont think Hurley is replaceable. His loss is obviously bigger than Ball's, but Ball's maybe bigger than people realize. He added great blocking that we didnt have for the first half of the season as well as speed at TE.

Massa, physically wise is just as good as Hurley, if not better. But experience and the calm stature that Hurley has in the pocket will be gone. Teams will now blitz the ---- out of the offense now. I think we can still go on to win games, but itll be alot harder.

Don't jump to conclusions. Expect Ignatius and Moeller to blitz a lot. If the offensive line steps it up, and Massa learns quick, then by week 11 teams will realize that the blitz isn't working.

Per Cincy Enqueer Hs sports blog....

St. X: Hurley out for year

UPDATED 6:15 p.m. --

St. Xavier senior QB John Hurley (torn left ACL) is out for the remainder of the football season, coach Steve Specht said tonight.

Specht said earlier today it was feared Hurley (No. 10, right), had torn the ligament in Saturday's 45-0 win over Lakewood St. Edward. An MRI today confirmed the diagnosis, Specht said.

Specht said sophomore Luke Massa will replace Hurley at QB.

St. Xavier (8-0) is rated No. 1 or No. 2 nationally in several polls, including No. 2 by USA Today. The Bombers have two regular season games left (at Cleveland St. Ignatius, then vs. Moeller at UC), then the Division I playoffs.

WR Stephon Ball also injured his left knee in the St. Ed's game but should be fine, Specht said. Specht said Ball has a bone bruise and that he might miss one game.

Specht said his heart goes out to Hurley, a senior who has played well. Hurley has completed 86-of-133 passes (64.7 percent) for 1,126 yards, 12 TDs and five interceptions this season.

"It's tough for John, but he's handling it well," Specht said. "He's a winner, and good things come to winners. God's just sending him down a different path."

Hurley was hurt when tackled on an 8-yard keeper with 5:05 left in the first quarter Saturday. Massa replaced Hurley and was 5-for-5 passing for 122 yards and a TD pass. Massa will be backed up by senior Grift Krehnbrink, Specht said.

"We'll have 10 seniors and one new face, a sophomore, on offense," Specht said. "Luke has done a great job, he's played in all our JV games and he's really talented."

Specht said he expects his senior-dominated team to rally around Massa.

"One guy doesn't make a team, and we all know that," Specht said. "All of our goals are intact. We still want to win the GCL, get to the playoffs ... and our ultimate goal is to win a state title."

St. X was 2005 state champion and was a regional finalist last year

Stephon is out only this week with a Fibula Bruise, same thing as last year on the same knee.

John is done for the season, and like Specht said my heart goes out to him

Stephon is out only this week with a Fibula Bruise, same thing as last year on the same knee.

John is done for the season, and like Specht said my heart goes out to him
Thanks for clarifying that.
I couldn't read the sports blog myself.
:rolleyes: