If your mother or gm has passed, what dinner of hers would you'd like one more time?

tom 48

Holiday season is one of memories. I was speaking to a friend today and he said that he would give anything to have his mother's eggplant parmesan just once more. For me, it was my mother's beef stew and dumplings - simple, but filled with great memories. How about you? Which dish of your mother ( or grandmother) would you love to eat just one more time?

Holiday season is one of memories. I was speaking to a friend today and he said that he would give anything to have his mother's eggplant parmesan just once more. For me, it was my mother's beef stew and dumplings - simple, but filled with great memories. How about you? Which dish of your mother ( or grandmother) would you love to eat just one more time?
My mom died a few months ago. I'd say the thing she made best, and I still have never mastered, was fried potatoes. They were always perfect. Not burnt. Not undercooked. Not bland, but not overly seasoned. I've tried so many times to recreate them. And have come close but am not consistent at all. And that's with her giving me exact directions.

My mom died a few months ago. I'd say the thing she made best, and I still have never mastered, was fried potatoes. They were always perfect. Not burnt. Not undercooked. Not bland, but not overly seasoned. I've tried so many times to recreate them. And have come close but am not consistent at all. And that's with her giving me exact directions.
Sorry to hear of your loss. There's just something about a mom's or grandma's cooking that we just can't duplicate. Maybe it's the love.

Mom - her turkey stuffing on Thanksgiving. Have not found anyone who makes it like she did
Appalachian grandmother - blackberry cobbler
Polish grandmother - spaghetti with homemade sauce and kielbasa

My wife is thankful she has her mom's recipes, especially for yeast rolls. My sister has my mom's recipes, but she never wrote one down for the stuffing.

Last edited:
Mother. Sunday dinner. Roast beef with potatoes and carrots. Homemade bread. There's nothing like the smell of homemade bread waking you up
For mom I was thinking along the same lines. It was not a specific meal I missed when she passed 25 years ago (cancer) , but it was the speciality breads, cakes and cookies. She always made certain breads specific to the given holiday. My favorite and one I miss was a cinnamon yeast loaf bread that gave off an amazing aroma and you could "taste" it in the air, then with your eyes knowing what a treat to the tastebuds was headed your way. That was a Christmas treat. Easter was ham and yeast rolls.

My wife has done the exact same Christmas Eve meal for over 25 years now, making certain elements of that meal perfected. She will not make those items for any other time of year, making Christmas an especially significant meal for the family to look forward to sharing together. I say the exact same, but as the family has increased in size, there have been appetizers, wines and other desert added to the basic meal.

Nothing.

It's not that my mother wasn't skilled in the kitchen, but my aunts , my sisters, and my wife all have their own skills and have some foods that are better.

Except mom was the only one who made pecan rolls.

Mom outlived dad by 8 years and in that time there was something that reminded me of him almost every day. Now that they are both gone and the house sold I think of them less. Except every once in a while, I still think "I need to ask dad about that" or "I need to tell mom about this," and then I think, not any more.

Mom passed away 18 months ago. What I miss the most is her laughing at my stories.

Happy Holidays, even to those of you who are fools and communists.

Mom wasn't a great cook and growing up we didn't have a lot but I'd give anything to have her swiss steak one more time.
Grandma hands down made the best chicken soup with home made noodles ever tasted by a human.