How fast does the average HS pitcher throw?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I've seen some numbers on the better pitchers around the state. Usually around 60MPH.

Just curious what the average pitcher around OHSAA varsity softball pitches. Is it close to 55MPH and adding 5MPH is a big jump? 50? It's really tough to tell from the stands or online videos.

I doubt the average is close to 55. If you go through all divisions I would guess it's actually closer to 50. 60+ in high school is elite and a lot of the better pitchers in Ohio actually throw somewhere between 55-60. Their parents will probably tell you they throw 60, but a radar gun would tell a different story lol.

Average softball pitching speed by age

Age Average Pitching Speeds High-end Averages
10 35 – 39 MPH 40 – 43 MPH
11 38 – 42 MPH 43 – 46 MPH
12 41 – 48 MPH 49 – 53 MPH
13 45 – 53 MPH 54 – 56 MPH
14 46 – 54 MPH 55 – 58 MPH
15 49 – 54 MPH 55 – 60 MPH
16 51 – 55 MPH 56 – 62 MPH
17 52 – 56 MPH 57 – 65 MPH
18 55 – 59 MPH 60 – 68 MPH
College+ 58 – 65 MPH 66 – 74 MPH

https://fastpitcher.com/average-softball-pitching-speeds-by-age/

Found this chart on fastpitcher, gives you an idea of where most kids are at.

There is a BIG diffrence between High school softball and HS age players. I would say the average is in the low 50s....

I saw a 14 or 15 year old kid increase her pitch speed by about 10 miles an hour in about a 3 hour time span. This is how she did it.

She was throwing between 55 and 58. Someone saw it on a radar And told someone "she's throwing in the mid to upper 50s."

That person told someone "she's throwing in the high 50s."

That person told someone "she's throwing 59."

That person said "she's throwing the low 60s."

That person told someone "she's throwing 64."

That person told someone "she's tharowing in the mid 60s."

That person told someone "she's throwing any where between 65 and 68..."

If every one didn't have some where else to be I'm sure she could have cracked 100..

I saw a 14 or 15 year old kid increase her pitch speed by about 10 miles an hour in about a 3 hour time span. This is how she did it.

She was throwing between 55 and 58. Someone saw it on a radar And told someone "she's throwing in the mid to upper 50s."

That person told someone "she's throwing in the high 50s."

That person told someone "she's throwing 59."

That person said "she's throwing the low 60s."

That person told someone "she's throwing 64."

That person told someone "she's tharowing in the mid 60s."

That person told someone "she's throwing any where between 65 and 68..."

If every one didn't have some where else to be I'm sure she could have cracked 100..

I think I was at that same game lol.

I don't get all the focus on speed. Yes it is intimidating to hear that loud pop of the catchers mitt as a batter swings late but to me changing speed effectively is a much better sign of a solid pitcher at the next level. I also know of coaches that use spin speed as opposed to velocity to decide if a young girl has a future as a pitcher as opposed to just a hard thrower.

I don't get all the focus on speed. Yes it is intimidating to hear that loud pop of the catchers mitt as a batter swings late but to me changing speed effectively is a much better sign of a solid pitcher at the next level. I also know of coaches that use spin speed as opposed to velocity to decide if a young girl has a future as a pitcher as opposed to just a hard thrower.

In baseball, finding pitching speeds is rather easy for the top prospects as well as the up and coming kids. There is no database like that for softball. The only reliable data is watching the pitchers on ESPN.

The top college teams usually have a girl pitching in the upper 60s. The lesser teams that they are playing usually have a girl pitching right around 60. I've yet to see a college girl that pitched consistently around 55 or lower. I imagine those girls do get a chance to pitch in college but most of them are at DII and DIII colleges.

Definitely agree about changing speeds. That is something much more difficult to measure and understand. Fastball speed is one simple metric that is easy to measure and reliable from trusted sources. Plus, it's fun to talk about.