great start

TRIPLE-J

35-18 great start to a new season. had me a little worried at the start of the game when we went down 12-0 but knew after that first td we would come back. Great job team.

We really shot ourselves in the foot giving up a 70 yard TD pass on 3rd and 32 or whatever it was...

Responded well though. The TD going into the half was huge.

Our line played well, both offensively and defensively.

We absolutely have to keep Scholle healthy. Hoepfully our WR's continue to progress.. The secondary needs to get healthy quick too, we need some help there.

Quick props to the kicking game. Simmonis was perfect on the PAT's and had a TD saving tackle on the returns... Showed the potential to have some booming kicks (but that was also the one that was almost taken back)... Punter (Popson?) looked good too. Special teams should come along nicely as the year goes on. It's too bad we can't throw Scholle out there for returns (and we can't, too risky for a guy that important to be out there), because he would be electric!

Olmstead Falls lost to Padua... Starting off 2-0 would be HUGE for this team. No one in the SL was overly impressive Week 1... If we can stay healthy, we should be in most games; with Wadsworth looking to be in trouble, that might be enough to throw a serious hat into the ring for the league title. But one game at a time! Good job Hornets!

I think Edwards is punting. Popson did not play week one due to injury. I think that is why Scholle was playing defense. Maybe get Popson back next week. Props to Tanner Adair for 2 sacks. I love the way he gets after the QB. Props to sophomore #80 Mark Vitko. If you want to get your money's worth next week, just watch him run down the field on the kickoff team. He is pound for pound one of the hardest hitting kids I have seen at Highland.

Should be a tough one next week. Olmsted Falls is always competitive. Can't make mistakes with the football, and need to tighten it up in the defensive backfield. Too many open receivers last week.

I always get Popson and Edwards confused. Hopefully Popson is healthy soon, we can't risk Scholle on defense (even though he played pretty well)...

I'm confident Adair can continue to get pressure on the QB this season from the DE spot, he's definitely got the size and speed... He was a lot of fun to watch against RR. With him and Justik as the defensive ends, we really could have some mismatches if teams only have one good tackle..

That defensive line looks awesome RR couldnt run at all and that was against a fairly good team overall. Defensive secondary does need some help but come on one td on double reverse pass and another after our own two guys took each other out. And I dont see Scholle coming out of the defensive backfield the rest of the season now, even when Popson comes back. He has been a two way starter his whole life only changed last year, he'll be fine. We need his speed and coverage out there. Maybe not every play, might be rotated in, but I think he will be out there. Wadsworth did so good last year cause they had a great one -two punch running in Busson and Snowball. I dont see another team in the league with the combo we have in Scholle and Koran this year. They have to gaurd against Scholle running and passing at the same time, and handing off to Koran, cant cover everyone at the same time things will be open.

I think when Popson comes back you may see Scholle at safety in obvious passing situations or late in the game when the money is on the line. Saefty is his regular defensive spot, and he can save TD's back there. I have also seen quite a bit of cover 2 calls on passing downs after Popson went down. Having Edwards and Scholle back there in a cover 2 is not a bad idea either, although Carpenter has played pretty well. Bottom line is when they are all healthy, they have some options in the secondary. I am sure Lombardo will get it all sorted out by the time league play rolls around.

Looks like it is going to be really windy Friday night with thunderstorms a real possibility. This may turn into a grind it out, four-yards-and-a-splash-of-mud type game. Passing the ball may be a risky proposition.

Last edited:
So much for that great start. Good defense, bad offense...and I mean BAD offense. Gotta give Olmsted Falls credit for how they played defense, but the Hornets sure did help them out last night. Disappointing loss in a game that should have been won. I doubt the Hornets can get over on North Royalton, so I was really hoping to beat Rocky River and Olmsted Falls to go 2-1 in non-league play.

yea hate to say it but I agree, worst performance I think i've ever seen from a Highland team. Didnt see Scholle even tryin to fire up the offense. I dont get it. Like I said in other posts, without leadership on the field we are gonna be in for a long season. With good leadership nobody will stop this team. Hate to say it but the parents in the stands weren't even tryin to get them fired up, I really dont get it. Felt like I was at a cavs game SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! they are playing dont say anything out loud. Although I have to say the defense was solid, except for one miscue they played very well against a worthy opponent.

They had some scheme problems against Olmsted Falls on pass protection. I am sure Lombardo will shore that up next week. Backs (and the QB) need to trust their lineman a little more. The easy cutback lanes were not there, and the backs were trying to force it. Sometimes you need to just get in your lineman's hip pocket and get 5 yards instead of trying to cut it back at the line of scrimmage and running right into pursuit for one yard gain. All of this is stuff they can fix, and I think they will.