Gmc 2015

ZfishInMason

Local swimmers are back in the pool in anticipation of the 2014/2015 campaign and ready-or-not, competition commences next week! The early season skirmishes may not tell us a lot, as most of the contenders for the league title will be short-handed until their club swimmers cross-over for high school competition in mid-December. Who are the teams to watch this year and how will your favorite GMC team fare? That’s what we’re here to discuss!

Starting with last year’s boys champions, Mason lost very little to graduation and is ready to prove that they are one of the strongest teams in school history. With a large, experienced senior class and a strong group of underclassmen, the Comets are heavy favorites to hoist the championship trophy again in February. The heart of this team is its powerful group of freestyle swimmers led by senior and defending conference champion Justin Hove (200 free, 500 free). The Comets look to place their stamp on the conference and the school record books with seniors Donald Bleasdale (free/breast), Pete He (free/fly), Adam Manguiat (back), Alex Mechler (free/fly) and Mpoki Mwalupindi (free) all looking to rack up big points in both the individual and relay events. Juniors Preston Bailey (fly/free) and Joel Thatcher (free/back) will make huge contributions, as will a strong group of underclassmen including Luis Carrillo (fly/IM), Sebastian Castillo (fly/free), Ethan Devyak (free/fly), Matt Helm (Breast/IM), Puran Kansakar (breast), Mike McDonald (back), and Terry Tao (breast/IM). Divers Allen Feng and Chad Peterson will provide valuable points for an unusually well-rounded Comet team. Expect Mason swimmers to be league championship threats in nearly every event come February and send a strong contingent into the post-season.

Sycamore will be led by conference Swimmer of the Year and 100 fly champion Mark Hancher (fly/free) and a contingent of solid upperclassmen including Eammon Bell (free), Isaac Goldstein (Fly/Free), John Heldman (fly/IM), Ethan May (free), Joe Moreno (free), Rick Niu (breast/IM), Matthew Schuetz (back), Chris Seger (fly/IM), Ben Thiss (Free), David Wang (breast) and Allen Zhou (breast). Underclassman who will make an impact this year include Jiho Choi (back/free), Brad Greenberger (free), Robert Schramm (Free), and Luke Tenenbarge (free/breast). No doubt a number of good freshman are also waiting in the wings as they always seem to be for the Aves. Sycamore should be solid in all three relays and they possess team depth second only to Mason, a formula that is likely to keep them in the runner-up spot again this season.

Coming off a third place finish last year, Lakota East should be strong again this season with a very good senior class and a sophomore phenom. Led by conference champion Matt McDonald (back/IM) and fellow seniors Eric Hills (free), Keith Jessee (Fly/Breast), Alec Linder (Diving), and Ben Schomaker (free), the Hawks should be strong at the top of their lineup. After an incredible freshman year, sophomore Josh McDonald will challenge the conference and states best swimmers in both the 200 and 500 freestyle this year. Other underclassmen that will make an impact include Junior Brad Barren (free), Logan Dennis (back), Keith Enrico (back/IM), Jacob Keith (free), and Alex Nucerino (fly/IM). Lakota East should score big in the relays as conference favorites in the medley and possibly second only to Mason in the free relays. This is certainly one of the best Thunderhawk teams in recent history but only time will tell if they have enough to overtake the conference leaders.

Lakota West should have enough to bring home fourth place in February with a quartet of seniors: Sean McCracken (free/back), Ben Pawlukiewicz (breast/fly), Robert Skoog (free), and Jackson Tinsley (breast/IM). They also boast last year’s conference runner-up diver (Taylor Mason) and should have solid showings in all three relays... enough to distance themselves from the rest of the field.

As is always the case, most of the talent in the GMC is concentrated in a few pools. However, there are a few individuals to watch out for on the other league teams as well. First and foremost among these is Middletown’s senior and conference champion Mark Andrew (100 free and 100 breast). You can expect to see him be a major factor at conference championships and beyond. Other noteworthy returnees from last year’s conference championships include Fairfield’s Mitchell Ellis (IM/breast), Princeton’s Riley Hinkley (back) and a pair of athletes from Oak Hills, diver Parker Dennis and freestyler Hunter Busken.

Last edited:

The GMC was well-represented at the MAKO Holiday Invitational with swimmers from Mason, Sycamore, Lakota East and Lakota West all participating. Some of the more notable results include:

Lakota East
Keith Jessee (51.38 100 fly; 1:00.69 100 breast)

Lakota West
Sean McCracken (54.94 100 back; 1:01.97 100 breast; 22.52 50 free )
Robert Skoog (22.22 50 free)

Mason
Preston Bailey (59.16 100 breast; 22.35 50 free)
Justin Hove (4:31.51 500 free; 1:40.53 200 free; 1:55.01 200 IM)
Mike McDonald (54.67 100 back)
Joel Thatcher (4:31.58 500 free; 1:41.33 200 free)

Sycamore
John Heldman (1:48.34 200 free)

Head-to-head competition starts this week and then the Canton Christmas Invitational on Saturday.

With the "fun" of grueling Christmas break doubles now in the rear-view mirror, the GMC schedule should start heating up with some exciting dual meets and the SW Classic in only 12 days!

Over the past couple of weeks some very strong "tired and unsuited" swims have been registered by GMC swimmers suggesting that the GMC record book may need some rewriting after the conference championships in 4 weeks. Notable swims include:

Mark Andrew (MID) 50.28 100 back; 21.27 50 free
Mark Hancher (SYC) 51.38 100 fly; 22.22 50 free
Justin Hove (MAS) 21.22(r) 50 free; 46.68(r) 100 free
Josh McDonald (LE) 4:38.79 500 free

Lakota East 1:41.08 200 medley relay
Mason 1:28.10 200 free relay; 3:14.71 400 free relay

Last edited:
This weekend approximately 2500 swimmers from 132 high schools will be converging on SW Ohio for the largest High School swim meet in the U.S.!

The 32nd annual Southwest Ohio High School Swimming and Diving Classic will hold preliminary swims on Saturday and Sunday morning at 9 sites around the Cincinnati-Dayton area. The top 16 swimmers (from all preliminary sites combined) in each event will face off in a televised finals competition to be held on Saturday and Sunday evening at Keating Natatorium on the campus of St. Xavier High School.

All ten GMC schools will be represented in this amazing event:

Countryside YMCA site: Lakota East, Lakota West, Princeton, Middletown
Mason site: Mason, Sycamore
Miami University A site: Oak Hills, Colerain, Hamilton
Miami University B site: Fairfield

Best of luck to all of the GMC swimmers, I expect the conference to be well represented in the Finals at St. X!

Last edited:
I enjoy reading your updates!

Not being a SW district guy, and the fact that you previously mention that only 9 teams (post now says all 10) from the GMC are competing in the SW district classic, I wanted to know if all the teams in the SW District compete in this meet, or if it's a non implied requirement to compete in it. If teams do not compete in the meet, what kind of teams typically don't (small 1 person teams, etc.)

I enjoy reading your updates!

Not being a SW district guy, and the fact that you previously mention that only 9 teams (post now says all 10) from the GMC are competing in the SW district classic, I wanted to know if all the teams in the SW District compete in this meet, or if it's a non implied requirement to compete in it. If teams do not compete in the meet, what kind of teams typically don't (small 1 person teams, etc.)

Yes, I missed the fact that Fairfield had a single female swimmer the first time I went through the psych sheets so I initially posted 9 teams, but updated it to 10 when I discovered my error.

There are no requirements to swim in the Classic. Most teams want to because it's really more than a normal swim meet, it's an event. There are huge teams there (like St. Xavier) and other teams with 1 or 2 kids (like Hamilton). The reason is that there is literally something for everyone. The competition at the top is phenomenal and they have JV events (with finals in the evenings) giving those kids the chance to participate in an unbelievable atmosphere. They swim all of the high school events and then add on several college events (200 fly/breast/back, 400 IM and mile). It's a televised event so there are TV cameras and the winners are taken upstairs in the announcers area for interviews which is very exciting for them. Parents from schools bid for 1/2 and full bleacher row seating on ebay with winners paying $300-400 for a row, the profits go to SW Classic scholarships which are also awarded on deck to the student-athletes. The state meet and conference championship meets are special to me for other reasons, but the Classic is easily the most unique atmosphere for the swimming community that I have been lucky enough to be a part of. The amount of volunteer hours that go into putting this on is really staggering, but the result is something you just have to see in person.

As to the meet, I honestly can't ever remember it being louder than it was last night... several incredible swims with records being broken left and right... winners and loser, utterly exhausted hugging across the lane lines, and man, the 400 free relays at the end had the place absolutely shaking with sound. Thanks to all who volunteered time and food/drink at the 9 prelim sites and the great people at Keating for hosting the finals. Pity we couldn't get the air temperature under 100 F though... it was absolutely sweltering in there! I'll post an update on how the GMC fared in a bit.

GMC swimmers put in a very strong showing at the SW Classic this past weekend. Obviously, some teams choose to suit up and some even rest for this meet while others didn't, making accurate end-of-the-season predictions difficult. Nevertheless, I expect the top dogs in the GMC to really put on a show when they face off against one another in a few weeks!

Final Heat placement by GMC swimmers include:

100 free: Hancher (SYC) (3), Hove (MAS) (5)
200 free: J. McDonald (LE) (5), Hove (MAS) (6), Thatcher (MAS) (8)
500 free: J. McDonald (LE) (3)
1650 free: J. McDonald (LE) (2), Thatcher (MAS) (4), Hove (MAS) (6)
100 back: Andrew (MID) (1) - 50.37 (4th all-time); Hancher (SYC) (8)
200 back: Andrew (MID) (1) - 1:48.71 (2nd all-time); M. McDonald (LE) (8)
100 fly: Hancher (SYC) (1)
200 fly: Andrew (MID) (1)
400 IM: Andrew (MID) (1) - 3:55.33 (1st all-time)
200 free relay: Mason (2), Sycamore (6), Lakota East (8)
400 free relay: Mason (2), Lakota East (8)
200 medley relay: Lakota East (6), Mason (8)
400 medley relay: Mason (6), Lakota East (7)

Overall team placement: Mason (5), Lakota East (7), Sycamore (10), Middletown (13), Lakota West (25), Fairfield (28)

No doubt in my mind that the swimmer of the meet was Mark Andrew from Middletown. He dominated his races agains phenomenal D1 and D2 competition and put himself on the Classic all-time top 10 list three times! Congratulations Mark!

Overall, the GMC looked VERY strong at the Classic and I think we'll see more of the same in championship season when everyone is rested and suited up!

Last edited:
The psych sheets for the 2015 GMC Swim & Dive Championships were posted to swimmeet.com this morning for this Saturday's tilt at the William Mason High School Natatorium.

There are a number of exciting matchups to look forward to including:

Mark Andrew (MID) vs Mark Hancher (SYC) (100 free)
Justin Hove (MAS) vs Josh McDonald (LE) (200 and 500 free)
Matt McDonald (LE) vs Joel Thatcher (MAS) (100 back)
A four horse race in the 100 breast
Mason vs Sycamore in the 200 and 400 free relays
Lakota East vs Sycamore vs Mason in the 200 medley relay

I think there is a high likelihood of several Championship Meet Records falling this weekend. In my estimation, the following marks could be in jeopardy:

200 Medley Relay (1:39.11 - SYC 2002) - Lakota East has a legit shot at this one
200 Free (1:42.53 - Gutierrez SYC 2011) - Hove, J. McDonald and Thatcher may all break this mark
50 Free (21.25 - Schnur OH 2009) - Andrew has gone 21.27 already this season
100 Free (46.94 - Fry SYC 2013) - I think Andrew and Hancher both get under this mark
100 Fly (49.69 - Spraul PRI 2007) - Probably the least likely to fall but Hancher has an outside shot
500 Free (4:33.37 - Ketchum SYC 1998) - If Hove pushes McDonald, this old record could fall
200 Free Relay (1:27.83 SYC 2012) - I think Mason breaks this one
400 Free Relay (3:13.98 SYC 2011/2013) - With a legal swim, Mason will move past 2 SYC teams who swam the exact same time!

There is always movement from seed times, some swimmers rise to the moment while others shrink from the pressure, but a preliminary assessment of the team race based on the psych
sheets (minus the divers) suggest a predictable 1 through 4 with the only chance for shuffling occurring in the bottom half:

Mason (494 points)
Sycamore (371 points)
Lakota East (298 points)
Lakota West (218 points)
Oak Hills (159 points)
Fairfield (132 points)
Colerain (126 points)
Middletown (87 points)
Princeton (77 points)
Hamilton (0 points)

Looking forward to the start of Championship season... see you all this weekend!

Last edited:
The psych sheets for the 2015 GMC Swim & Dive Championships were posted to swimmeet.com this morning for this Saturday's tilt at the William Mason High School Natatorium.

There are a number of exciting matchups to look forward to including:

Mark Andrew (MID) vs Mark Hancher (SYC) (100 free)
Justin Hove (MAS) vs Josh McDonald (LE) (200 and 500 free)
Matt McDonald (LE) vs Joel Thatcher (MAS) (100 back)
A four horse race in the 100 breast
Mason vs Sycamore in the 200 and 400 free relays
Lakota East vs Sycamore vs Mason in the 200 medley relay

I think there is a high likelihood of several Championship Meet Records falling this weekend. In my estimation, the following marks could be in jeopardy:

200 Medley Relay (1:39.11 - SYC 2002) - Lakota East has a legit shot at this one
200 Free (1:42.53 - Gutierrez SYC 2011) - Hove, J. McDonald and Thatcher may all break this mark
50 Free (21.25 - Schnur OH 2009) - Andrew has gone 21.27 already this season
100 Free (46.94 - Fry SYC 2013) - I think Andrew and Hancher both get under this mark
100 Fly (49.69 - Spraul PRI 2007) - Probably the least likely to fall but Hancher has an outside shot
500 Free (4:33.37 - Ketchum SYC 1998) - If Hove pushes McDonald, this old record could fall
200 Free Relay (1:27.83 SYC 2012) - I think Mason breaks this one
400 Free Relay (3:13.98 SYC 2011/2013) - With a legal swim, Mason will move past 2 SYC teams who swam the exact same time!

There is always movement from seed times, some swimmers rise to the moment while others shrink from the pressure, but a preliminary assessment of the team race based on the psych
sheets (minus the divers) suggest a predictable 1 through 4 with the only chance for shuffling occurring in the bottom half:

Mason (494 points)
Sycamore (371 points)
Lakota East (298 points)
Lakota West (218 points)
Oak Hills (159 points)
Fairfield (132 points)
Colerain (126 points)
Middletown (87 points)
Princeton (77 points)
Hamilton (0 points)

Looking forward to the start of Championship season... see you all this weekend!

I think its safe to say that you nailed the meet. Heck of an effort by those kids to break all those records!

The 2015 version of the GMC Championship meet was another great one with an absolutely packed house at the William Mason Natatorium. A lot the kids were dragging because of difficult morning practices the day of the meet but they rose up when it counted and put on a heck of a show for those of us lucky enough to be there watching! Briefly:

200 Medley relay: Lakota East opens the meet with a great swim and breaks the meet record with a 1:38.72. Matt McDonald, Keith Jessee, Josh McDonald and Brad Barren brought it home for the Thunderhawks.

200 Free: One of the best races of the day, Justin Hove (MAS) and Josh McDonald (LE) battle it out stroke for stroke for 150 yards until the senior from Mason found a new gear and swam away with a new meet record of 1:41.95.

200 IM: Matt McDonald (LE) edged out Mitchell Ellis (FF) in a good race between two seniors with a time of 1:59.40.

50 Free: Mark Andrew (MID) shocked the entire building with a dominating 20.94 second swim that shattered the six year old meet record held by Jason Schnur.

100 Fly: Mark Hancher (SYC) took the lead early and never looked back in an easy victory and a solid time of 51.70.

100 Free: In a battle of senior team leaders, Mark Andrew proved his 50 free swim wasn't a fluke with a dominating win over Mark Hancher in a meet record time of 46.28.

500 Free: Hove vs. McDonald Part II. In an absolutely epic 500 free contest, the sophomore phenom from LE and the Mason captain went stroke for stroke again, this time for 400 yards before the youngster got his revenge and pulled away in the final 100 for a 2 second victory and in the process breaking the oldest (17 years) GMC record held by the great Dan Ketchum of Sycamore in a meet record time of 4:32.29.

200 Free Relay: Mason (He, Mwalupindi, Bailey and Hove) swam away with this one in a time of 1:28.87.

100 Back: A fantastic battle between Matt McDonald (LE) and junior Joel Thatcher (MAS) that went down to the wire with Thatcher out-touching his rival at the finish in a time of 54.03.

100 Breast: Senior Mitchell Ellis (FF) brings home a first place for the Indians with a good swim of 59.96.

400 Free Relay: With the team and individual titles already decided, Mason (Thatcher, He, Mwalupindi, Hove) held off a charging Sycamore team (later DQ'd) in a tired time of 3:14.07.

1m Diving: Allen Feng (MAS) staked the Comets to an early lead by winning the diving competition on Friday night with a point total of 250.90.

Awards:
Swimmer of the Meet: Mark Andrew (MID)
Diver of the Meet: Allen Feng (MAS)
Coach of the Year: Mark Sullivan (MAS)

Final Team Standings:
(529) Mason
(386) Sycamore
(326) Lakota East
(230) Lakota West
(162) Oak Hills
(146) Fairfield
(121) Colerain
(95) Middletown
(83) Princeton

Last edited:
I think its safe to say that you nailed the meet. Heck of an effort by those kids to break all those records!

Hehe, thanks Mukisa. I'm definitely giving up on prognosticating now, there's no way I could get that lucky again!

I totally agree with your assessment of the incredible effort by the swimmers to do what they did... just remarkable.