GCLS/GGCL League Predictions

The GCL COED Girls' finals today saw several more records broken:

100mH - C-J's Jazmyn Potts ran a fast 14.60, breaking the previous best of 14.84. That is the fastest time ever time for both GCL-COED & GCLG schools.

100m - Freshman Jadyn Haywood (C-J) lowered Cat Humphries (McN) previous record (12.37) to 12.28.

4x200m - C-J's team of Jazymy Potts, Jayda Grant, Julia DiLoreto, and Meyah Haywood lowered the all-time best to 1:45.02. That's also the fastest time of a both COED & GCLG schools.

Jayda Grant did not run on the 4x2 or at the GCL meet. She unfortunately tore her ACL playing powder puff football the day before the meet. I believe freshman Jaydyn Haywood ran in her place, but not positive. I could reach out to their coach to find out for sure.

We were actually just talking about the GCL Coed records yesterday, and having this same discussion as to what the proper thing is to do. Do you know if the current COED records are from any current COED team dating back as far as they've competed in the GCL? Also, does anyone have a list of those records? Additionally, for the record, we (Carroll) would love it if all the GCL schools were still together for the League Meet. While we like the set up at Fenwick, and it has turned into a great atmosphere, we do miss having everyone together when it was at LaSalle. I still have former athletes talk about the old GCL meet and running under the lights on Friday night at LaSalle. It would be awesome to have something similar to the GWOC where they have Division Champions but also overall champions. It would give every school a chance to still win a Division Title but see how they stack up against the entire league.

One of the St. Xavier coaches was also expressing the same sentiments to me about running all the teams at the same meet and doing the scoring afterwards.

There was one year 1996 where the finals ended up being at UC because of flooding on the track at La Salle. Each division got four of their qualifiers to the finals, four from the north and four from the south ran together in the final eight. Of course that was only for the races in lanes all the way.

We were actually just talking about the GCL Coed records yesterday, and having this same discussion as to what the proper thing is to do. Do you know if the current COED records are from any current COED team dating back as far as they've competed in the GCL? Also, does anyone have a list of those records? Additionally, for the record, we (Carroll) would love it if all the GCL schools were still together for the League Meet. While we like the set up at Fenwick, and it has turned into a great atmosphere, we do miss having everyone together when it was at LaSalle. I still have former athletes talk about the old GCL meet and running under the lights on Friday night at LaSalle. It would be awesome to have something similar to the GWOC where they have Division Champions but also overall champions. It would give every school a chance to still win a Division Title but see how they stack up against the entire league.

I don't know what Lancermania has on the men's side of things outside of the Catholic "big 4" in Cincinnati historically speaking, but the document that was posted earlier in this thread regarding the girls' schools contains as much information that has been found to date from the inception of the meet in 1973 through 2018. I put together that listing and have updated it through 2018. The coed schools from the Dayton area (Alter, Carroll,C-J, and Fenwick) appear not to have started showing up in the former GGCL meet until 2001. Alter was first in 2001, then in 2007 the other three showed up. I presume, maybe falsely, that they were part of another league prior to those years. I don't know their history well enough. However, I'm going to take the advice of Lancermania and split up the girls' documents into GCLG and GCL-COED. Both documents will contain the same histories as the southern 4 of the COED schools (Badin, McNicholas, Purcell-Marian, and Roger Bacon) all have histories going way back to near the founding of the meet. I will disseminate that information freely as I do all other historical information I research and put together.

With respect to bgtri11's post regarding Jayda Grant, she is listed on the official meet results https://timerhub.com/getHytResults.php?v=6&page=today.ghgtiming.com/2019/gclsmall/190506F014.htm

With regard to Lancermania's post, I'll separate the documents and make them historically accurate with respect to the construct of the leagues as they exist now.

Back to bgtri11's post: As it is constructed now, the records shown in the post-2018 document reflect separate records that are historically accurate. When the meet split from being a single division to a "Scarlet" (big school) and "Grey" (small school) in the 1993 season, separate records were NOT established. I have the 1996 meet program from the GGCL (I was involved at that time), and it clearly indicates that "League Records Are Not Done By Divisions". Same thing for the 1997 program. If and at what point in the future records were kept for separate divisions, that I do not know. I was not commissioned to produce the historical document of the then GGCL. That I did on my own after a lot of research (which continued for the very earliest of the meets) compiled over many years. The first version was in 2011. It is now up-to-date through 2018. With regard to the separate meet records that I've listed in the document, I did what made sense. I used the existing known meet records set under the old single division format through 1992, and carried them forward into both divisions. When an athlete broke the old record under one of the two divisions, that became the new record under the new division the school was listed under. I did that for each both Scarlet & Grey, which later became Scarlet & Grey-North/Grey-South, then finally to today's "Large School" "Small School" which are more appropriately named GCLG & GCL-COED (and shall be named such under new documentation). That is how I arranged it so the progression history of records could be followed and understood.

This said, however, the question may arise: Why not after the 1992 meet assign new records to each division based on the best mark set by an athlete from a school that then went into that respective new division? Well, because for all events, that information is not readily available for each event. I think that kind of thinking may have had to do something with the decision to not have separate divisional records, at least up thru the 1997 season. What happened after that, I don't know. Maybe somebody has a complete understanding of the history of the league record progression better than I. I'm certainly open to amending the documents to reflect that information.

So, that's the long and short of it from my lowly perspective.:laugh:

Updated Boys GCLS scores without Henry Young III

1. La Salle 88
2. St. Xavier 77
3. Elder 60
4. Moeller 34

GHG Timing hasn't posted any of the varsity field event results from GCL/GCLG from yesterday. Were the varsity field events held yesterday?

GHG Timing hasn't posted any of the varsity field event results from GCL/GCLG from yesterday. Were the varsity field events held yesterday?

The varsity field has always been on Friday. My, how we forget our coaching days so soon.

Here is post #16 in this thread.
Only one event for boys varsity will be conducted Wednesday, the 4 x 800 relay. Frosh and JV field will be Wednesday also, only varsity field is at UC Friday. Girls will have to run prelims because there are five teams, no prelims for any event in the boys because there are only four teams on all levels.

You asked about the results of the varsity field. I'm just telling you why they don't show up. Varsity field has always been on Friday when the meet was at La Salle. Even though the events are not at La Salle this year, La Salle is still running the meet. I don't know how they did the girls meet when it was at Mt. St. Joseph.

You asked about the results of the varsity field. I'm just telling you why they don't show up. Varsity field has always been on Friday when the meet was at La Salle. Even though the events are not at La Salle this year, La Salle is still running the meet. I don't know how they did the girls meet when it was at Mt. St. Joseph.

I appreciate the info on this year's schedule.

With regard to the past schedules at LaSalle, they were not all on Friday. Attached is the schedule from 2010. Varsity field events were on Wednesday. I remember it well.

2011 was the same. Field on Wednesday: https://oh.milesplit.com/meets/82961/results/159401/raw#.XNRom9h7ncc

2012 was the same. Field on Wednesday: https://oh.milesplit.com/meets/113140/results/200886/raw#.XNRpM9h7ncc

Attachments

• GGCL General Information.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Varsity field was on Fridays before the girls got involved in 2010. I was going to the meet since it first went to La Salle in 1991. Now enough of the past as to when the varsity field was held. Who cares? Let's focus on today. The varsity field starts at 4:00 at Gettler stadium on the campus of the University of Cincinnati. Running finals in all divisions start at 5:00. We've been told that parking will be $5.00 and admission $6.00. Seating capacity is 1,400. Will that be enough for a nine school meet. A picture of the facility with some information is here. https://gobearcats.com/sports/2017/6/11/facilities-gettler-stadium-html.aspx

Last edited:
Varsity field was on Fridays before the girls got involved in 2010. I was going to the meet since it first went to La Salle in 1991. Now enough of the past as to when the varsity field was held. Who cares? Let's focus on today. The varsity field starts at 4:00 at Gettler stadium on the campus of the University of Cincinnati. Running finals in all divisions start at 5:00. We've been told that parking will be $5.00 and admission $6.00. Seating capacity is 1,400. Will that be enough for a nine school meet. A picture of the facility with some information is here. https://gobearcats.com/sports/2017/6/11/facilities-gettler-stadium-html.aspx

Its a great view from the parking garage... no admission charge.

Congratulations to the Ursuline Academy Lions on their 166 point victory tonight, and also to the Lancers of Lancermania's alma mater of La Salle!

Updated Boys GCLS scores without Henry Young III

1. La Salle 88
2. St. Xavier 77
3. Elder 60
4. Moeller 34

OMG how close the projections came to the real scores. Quote is from post #36 above.

1. La Salle 87 (off 1 point)
2. St. Xavier 73½ (0ff 3½)
3. Elder 62 (off 2)
4. Moeller 33½ (off ½ point)

GCL CHAMPIONSHIP BOYS MEET RECORDS

Event Name(s) School Mark Year

3200 Meter Relay Ethan Bokeno, Alex Thiery, Kevin Kluesener, Travis Hawes La Salle 7:51.31 2011

110 Meter Hurdles Jim Ramstetter Elder 14.2 (MT) 2000

100 Meter Dash Henry Young III St. Xavier 10.66 2018

800 Meter Relay Tim Bell, Adam Franklin, Jaleel Hytchye, Antonio Nelson La Salle 1:29.66 2012

1600 Meter Run Steve Padgett La Salle 4:16.0 (MT) 2000

400 Meter Relay Benjamin Ferguson, T.J. Ahrens, King Hudson, Henry Young III St. Xavier 42.25 2018

400 Meter Dash Devier Posey La Salle 48.5(MT) 2008

300 Meter Hurdles Cory Ochs St. Xavier 39.16 2010

800 Meter Run Kyle Schreiner St. Xavier 1:54.6 (MT) 2000

200 Meter Dash Devier Posey La Salle 21.7(MT) 2008

3200 Meter Run Evan Stifel St. Xavier 9:13.10 2014

1600 Meter Relay Cameron Cole, Bruce Macolm, Mike Deyhle, Devier Posey La Salle 3:22.1 (MT) 2008

High Jump Ryan Fitzpatrick Moeller 6’10” 1998

Pole Vault Tim Roa Elder 15’10” 2003

Long Jump Tim Bell La Salle 23’4½” 2013

Shot Put Dave Foley Roger Bacon 62’1½” 1965

Discus Chandler Burden La Salle 180’4” 2008

All 17 records are safe for another year as none were broken tonight.

I saw OVTC at this meet. He said he heard there was a record in the girls meet. I never heard it and he can't remember the event. OVTC was still bashing ghgtiming by complaining they had no scoreboard at the meet and no race clock. finishtiming has spoiled us with the services they provide.

Last edited:
I found the mark that was announced as a record. Ursuline's Madi Person broke her own record in the 300mH of 46.30 set last year with her time this year of 43.85.

I saw OVTC at this meet. He said he heard there was a record in the girls meet. I never heard it and he can't remember the event. Maybe JAVMAN can help us out. OVTC was still bashing ghgtiming by complaining they had no scoreboard at the meet and no race clock.

Summary of new records for the GCLG:

100mH - 14.93 (h1) - Madi Person (URS) - FAT record, old was 15.26. There does exist a hand-timed 14.5 by Kirby Blackley (St. Ursula) from the 2003 meet.

300mH - 43.85 - Madi Person (URS) - DESTROYS the old meet best of 45.9 MT by Kirby Blackley from the 2003 meet. The previous FAT best was 46.30 by Person in the 2017 meet. It is also the fastest 300mH performance by far of both the GCLG & GCL COED schools. Madi also destroys the old Ursuline Record of 45.26 set by Mackenzie Harrell from the 2010 Mason District meet.

I'll have more post-meet GCLG data analyses on Monday.

Summary of new records for the GCLG:

100mH - 14.93 (h1) - Madi Person (URS) - FAT record, old was 15.26. There does exist a hand-timed 14.5 by Kirby Blackley (St. Ursula) from the 2003 meet.

300mH - 43.85 - Madi Person (URS) - DESTROYS the old meet best of 45.9 MT by Kirby Blackley from the 2003 meet. The previous FAT best was 46.30 by Person in the 2017 meet. It is also the fastest 300mH performance by far of both the GCLG & GCL COED schools. Madi also destroys the old Ursuline Record of 45.26 set by Mackenzie Harrell from the 2010 Mason District meet.

I'll have more post-meet GCLG data analyses on Monday.

The 100mH time was not announced as a meet record. I'm not sure who decides what the meet records are, but evidently the powers that be in the GGCL see that 14.5 as the meet record. I'm 100% with JAVMAN on this. You can only count FAT times as records in the 300mH thus Person's 14.93 in the prelims should be the real record. Kudos to JAVMAN and boos to those who maintain that the 14.5 is the record. A question for JAVMAN on this. Can the 14.93 even count as the record since ghgtiming is not using a wind gauge? I'm pretty sure they have one since I believe I've seen some results that they timed with them. Check every league meet that finishtiming did and everyone has a wind reading in the girls 100mH.

Last edited:
The 100mH time was not announced as a meet record. I'm not sure who decides what the meet records are, but evidently the powers that be in the GGCL see that 14.5 as the meet record. I'm 100% with JAVMAN on this. You can only count FAT times as records in the 300mH thus Person's 14.93 in the prelims should be the real record. Kudos to JAVMAN and boos to those who maintain that the 14.5 is the record. A question for JAVMAN on this. Can the 14.93 even count as the record since ghgtiming is not using a wind gauge? I'm pretty sure they have one since I believe I've seen some results that they timed with them. Check every league meet that finishtiming did and everyone has a wind reading in the girls 100mH.

I've never seen any of the results indicating any wind gauge was used for any of the years. I've looked at all the GGCL/GCLG meets throughout the years, and have yet to see any wind gauges in use. I know GHG has them as they do it for the district meets, so I assume that GCLG/GCL has not requested the use of them. Dunno why not :shrug:

Ghg?

How can GHG do a championship meet like GCL or District with no wind gauge? Did they even have a clock?

How can GHG do a championship meet like GCL or District with no wind gauge? Did they even have a clock?

They do use wind gauges for the district meets. However, otherwise, I think the invitational type meets have to specifically request a wind gauge to be used. I think this might be because of additional costs associated with including wind gauges.

Does anyone who knows Mr. Gerstner ask him for clarification?