Forfeits for playing travel ball during the HS season?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Hearing of a couple teams that have had to forfeit wins because some Freshmen players have played in local 14U tournaments while still participating in HS games.

I know that schools are required to have a sport meeting to go over rules. Do some schools not communicate this simple rule or are the kids/parents not getting the message? Or worse, are the parents thinking they could sneak in a few extra reps and not get caught?

Last edited:

There is no excuse for this. Parents should know the rules but shame on the travel ball coach they know better. If the have a girl on a high school team they can't play travel ball this is not some new rule, it has been in place for decades..
There are plenty of travel coaches who know the rule and simply don't care. They think their organization is the end all be all of softball. They have no problem screwing over a school team for their own good.

That's a shame that any travel ball coach would think that way. It not only affects the player that will be suspended for the rest of the HS season, it also affects the HS team that has to forfeit the games. It could cost a team a league title or their tournament run.

Hearing of a couple teams that have had to forfeit wins because some Freshmen players have played in local 14U tournaments while still participating in HS games.

I know that schools are required to have a sport meeting to go over rules. Do some schools not communicate this simple rule or are the kids/parents not getting the message? Or worse, are the parents thinking they could sneak in a few extra reps and not get caught?
The alleged adults involved in this are to blame! Why do parents knowingly let their kids break rules then get mad when they get caught? That’s exactly where all this crap starts, at home!

The alleged adults involved in this are to blame! Why do parents knowingly let their kids break rules then get mad when they get caught? That’s exactly where all this crap starts, at home!
Something similar happened with my daughter's high school team in 2019. The starting shortstop participated in an event with her travel ball team during the tournament (2 days before the district championship game) and fortunately a family member of another girl on the team saw the girl, reported to the head coach of the high school team, who reported to the AD, before the player had a chance to play another game. She was declared ineligible before we played another game and it didn't lead to any forfeits. The girl's parents were mad at the world when she was declared ineligible, though they drove her to the event and sat in the stands while she played. IMO, the player, her parents, and the travel ball coach were all to blame. They all knew the rule and chose to ignore it. Selfish behavior by a group of selfish people.

Something similar happened with my daughter's high school team in 2019. The starting shortstop participated in an event with her travel ball team during the tournament (2 days before the district championship game) and fortunately a family member of another girl on the team saw the girl, reported to the head coach of the high school team, who reported to the AD, before the player had a chance to play another game. She was declared ineligible before we played another game and it didn't lead to any forfeits. The girl's parents were mad at the world when she was declared ineligible, though they drove her to the event and sat in the stands while she played. IMO, the player, her parents, and the travel ball coach were all to blame. They all knew the rule and chose to ignore it. Selfish behavior by a group of selfish people.
That’s real shame for your daughter and others on the Team. Exactly, the player is the only one who bares some blame that is not an adult.

This has been going on for years in both boys and girls sports. Not only with players but with coaching out of season.

The reason it seems like a spike in players doing this the past 10 years ids because of social media.

Kids and parents have to have their Facebook, Tic toc, Instagram etc. to share what they do every hour of every day.
As in the most recent case in SW Ohio the 14 year old played in a local tournament on her dads team then they posted game activities online for the world to see.
With the huge drop off in schools ability's to field teams this may become even more of an occurrence or the players will elect to just play club over varsity.

It amazing how softball has taken a back seat to other sports EX: AAU basketball and select volleyball and soccer impact a ton of HS teams in a lot of sports.
The lady that loves softball, attends every practice and event plays on a weekend and becomes a pariah. While the partially committed AAU basketball, volleyball or soccer player misses games and practices for their select sport and just walks away if there are any complaints. As numbers continue to fall for fastpitch softball I see OHSAA having to address the ability of middle schoolers to play at the next level like they do in KY in some areas of the state or all areas to try to bring back the sport.

This has been going on for years in both boys and girls sports. Not only with players but with coaching out of season.

The reason it seems like a spike in players doing this the past 10 years ids because of social media.

Kids and parents have to have their Facebook, Tic toc, Instagram etc. to share what they do every hour of every day.
As in the most recent case in SW Ohio the 14 year old played in a local tournament on her dads team then they posted game activities online for the world to see.
With the huge drop off in schools ability's to field teams this may become even more of an occurrence or the players will elect to just play club over varsity.

It amazing how softball has taken a back seat to other sports EX: AAU basketball and select volleyball and soccer impact a ton of HS teams in a lot of sports.
The lady that loves softball, attends every practice and event plays on a weekend and becomes a pariah. While the partially committed AAU basketball, volleyball or soccer player misses games and practices for their select sport and just walks away if there are any complaints. As numbers continue to fall for fastpitch softball I see OHSAA having to address the ability of middle schoolers to play at the next level like they do in KY in some areas of the state or all areas to try to bring back the sport.
I've seen this last part play out on my daughter's team. A girl on the team is a good player but a high level basketball player. She has it worked out with the coach when she can miss games for AAU practice/tournaments. IMO, I'd say either your on this team or not. However, the girl is talented enough to where the thought process is it's better to have her some of the time than none of the time.