FAVC, GWOC, SCOL and GMC Predictions

I heard through the grapevine that she tore her ACL & lost her scholarship to Toledo. SUA would not clear her to play this year so she transferred to Withrow so she could play and get another scholarship somewhere else.

If Toledo took her scholarship because she tore her ACL that is horrible.

I heard through the grapevine that she tore her ACL & lost her scholarship to Toledo. SUA would not clear her to play this year so she transferred to Withrow so she could play and get another scholarship somewhere else.

Can anyone confirm that she actually is at Withrow? Just wondering. That's a totally different culture from Ursula. Just wondering.

One humble opinion of the FAVC East for 2011-2012:

Wilmington should be the odds-on favorite, by a large margin I would think. Affini, Hooper, Camp, Rice and Spurlock, in addition to younger skilled players. They have too much overall talent, plus good coaching. Strong fundamental team, rarely beat themselves. Could have a really outstanding season. Only injuries could stand in the way.

After Wilmington, there's a considerable drop-off in talent, but I see 4-5 teams battling it out for the runner-up spot...

Milford under-achieved last year, based on their talent level. I expect them to be stronger this year, fueled by last year's disappointing record (even for them) and a new head coach this year who had success at Milford in the past. Outgoing seniors Wolcott and Yee will want to show what they can do, with good returning talent in Simmons and Canter.

Turpin returns a solid line-up with a good roster of seniors and juniors. They do not have size, but they have talent, heart and play well as a team. Gador and Long should have strong seasons. Finn and Fender are good complementary players who will have improved and who help round out the team. The Spartans have a good inside-outside game, with Gador inside, kicking it to the outside for open looks when she gets double-teamed. Long can hit the 3 consistently, and Gador can step out and hit the outside shot as well. Gador was sidelined a bit the second half of last year, but is fine and had a good AAU season. They should be right up near the top.

Kings is a bit of a question mark after losing all-FAVC East selections Warye (POY) and Haralamos to graduation. Incoming seniors Bush and Delaney should provide good contributions. The key is how well they replace those two heralded seniors. Kings always seems to have some talent in the pipeline, though. Expect them to be competitive and in the mix.

Glen Este lost an all-FAVC guard to graduation in Lakin Louiso. They won't have any senior leadership, so a key will be the ability for juniors Carson, Gaskill and Brenes to step into those roles. They'll be small and will have to team rebound. Keith, a sophomore, and Carson can shoot from outside, as long as the offense can provide screens and looks. Gaskill can drive the lane and will have to help on the boards, too. They have a big freshman class, but it remains to be seen if any freshman will contribute on varsity. They will be young and need on-court leadership to be replaced if they are to be successful. As always, Glen Este should be competitive as Coach Click always gets the best out of his teams.

Anderson has been a solid team for several years, winning the East the past couple of years with Carletti nabbing Coach of the Year honors both years. Will Starks (asst coach) heading off to be the head coach at Ursuline impact them in any way? Remains to be seen. The biggest losses will be size and first-team all-FAVC East players Kenney and Brogan. They'll have good, solid guard play in incoming seniors Geisting and Lammers, but beyond that they'll be relying upon largely untested new talent to the starting line-up, such as Kelly Warren (and twin sister, Sam-ACL recovery?). Dulle played sizeable minutes last year and contributed almost 5 pts./game. They will have to account for graduated talent, but they will play strong defense as they always do with Carletti's squads that will enable them to squeeze out some wins. Many questions abound as to how they'll react, but I expect them to be in the pack. Both Kings and Anderson I see as being similar situations this season to replace key starters. How they respond to that challenge will determine how much success they'll have this year.

Little Miami loses all-FAVC East players in Mason and McFadgen to graduation, as well as Journeay. They lost too much, so it depends on how they restock the cupboard. Walker will provide solid play at the PG position and Reliford is a mentally tough returning player with some talent. They will battle hard.

Loveland should be improved from last season. They will be competitive and with their returning talent -- Fisher, Baker, Dudley, Suder, Swaine -- they will pull off a couple upsets during the year. They could possibily be better than expected. Watch them carefully, they could surprise.

Walnut Hills lost a lot of their talent to graduation (Ingram, Gassett, Woos, Donald) and this year will be a rebuilding year. They lost their top four leading scorers. Screws, a 6-footer senior, could have a good year. Beyond that, it could be a tough year for the 'Nut.

Like I said, it is Wilmington's title to lose, but there will be a lot of parity among the next half-dozen teams. I don't expect to see a lot of separation between the teams in the standings, save for Wilmington.

I like the recap. I agree that Wilmington is the team to beat.

The only teams I know well are Anderson and Turpin.

Mariah Gador is Turpin's go-to player and best scorer, but Turpin will only go as far as their talented point guard and last year's team MVP Ellie Tillar takes them in my view. She was top-ten in assists in the city last year, is their best defender, and controls the tempo. If she can stay out of foul trouble and on the court, Turpin is a much better team with her out there. Ashley Long remains Turpin's best three-point shooting threat. I also think they will need center Kate Kelly to be a strong presence inside. Finn and Fender will play a big role as well. Coach Fry has to decide if he will let Gador play on the wing where she is more comfortable, or force her to the post, where she can be effective but tends to get a little frustrated. If they focus on defense and rebounding they can be really good. If they don't, they will be .500.

As far as Anderson goes, Coach Carletti will continue to get a lot from a little. He is very good at that. They will need point guard Kara Giesting to stay healthy and log a lot of minutes. Much like Turpin, Anderson would be lost without their standout point guard. Look for guard Kelly Warren to blossom and center Anna Kerregan to step up. That is what they will need to match last year's accomplishments. If Giesting and Ruth Lammers look to score more than in years past, Anderson may find a way to be in the hunt for the league title.

Good luck to both the Spartans and Redskins. Let the games begin!!!!

League predictions

This has nothing to do with league predictions. However, knowing Steve's hops and size, I'd like to see the condition of that mini-tramp when he finished that dunk. hahahahahahaha.

In last year's tournament, both GMC district winners suffered double digit losses to GWOC teams in the regional semis. Why do you think the GMC will be loaded in the upcoming season? Seems like I have heard that song before (Princeton last season).

Not sure what you're talking about because Lakota East won districts, won regional semi's, and lost in the regional final to Pickerington Central..

The GMC is much tougher than the GWOC. Good teams in the GWOC yes but they don't play the schedule the GMC teams are playing.

Mistified, Fairmont beat Mason by 13 and Springboro beat Princeton by 13. Fairmont then went on to finish as the state runners up. GWOC was clearly the tougher conference last season.

The Gwoc schedule is very tough year in and year out. Fairmont Fairborn Springboro Beavercreek Vandalia Butler and Centerville have all been very strong in recent years.

Not sure what you're talking about because Lakota East won districts, won regional semi's, and lost in the regional final to Pickerington Central.
I was talking about the 2011 D1 southwest regional:

http://brackets.ohsaa.org/regionalbracket.aspx?not=4&t=1755&ts=3974&ia=1&sp=14&dv=1&g=g

But you are right, East also won a district in the Westerville (Columbus) regional. They beat a GWOC team (Fairborn, in OT) in the district finals.

The GMC is much tougher than the GWOC. Good teams in the GWOC yes but they don't play the schedule the GMC teams are playing.
Why do you think that? The GWOC won 2 of 3 games with the GMC in last year's tournament. Springboro handed undefeated Princeton a 13-point loss, and Fairmont was state runner up. That would indicate the GWOC was the better conference.

Glad to help. But if I am on your ignore list, how did you see my post?

Makes perfect sense to me.

This thread certainly caught my eye. I agree with most of the predictions on here. From the stats I am seeing I dont think the predictions or rankings will be too far off.