Fairmont at Fairborn, who wins?

Falcon7

Should be a good game, I'm thinking Hawks over Birds. The Skyhawks have shot horrible in the last 2 match-ups (around 20%).

20+??? really?

Fairborn hasn't been as good as I expected... but they have jumped out to big early leads in all their games and then kind of coasted while the other teams physically beat the crap out of them and made the games really, really ugly.

This game won't be like that.

I won't make a prediction... but I will say I think Fairborn has an excellent chance at home. I'll just leave it at that.

I think/hope it will be a great game.

Fairmont will win by 20+
Size, depth, discipline, defense ...

Depth? What depth, that is their biggest problem (along with outside shooting). Every close game the last 3-4 years or so, he rarely makes any subs at all. And with Waterman out it's even worse. How many girls played tonight?

Congrats to Fairborn.
I was completely wrong.
It appears Alexis Gassion had a HUGE night and no one on Fairmont had an answer.
I really thought Welch could stop her and Fairmont's bigs would dominate.

Great job by the Fairborn kids.

Looks like Fairmont had a terrible shooting night:
A S 3-11
C W 2-10
K W 4-19
All others 2-7
Was Fairborn's D that good or just one of those nights?

The truth hurts.
He didn't single anyone out (and he certainly could have).

Parents (and kids) think just because D-1 coaches are in the stands that their daughter needs to stand out. And trust me, there are 2-3 parents of players on that team that are horrible on a good day. And their kids are turning into the parents.
And I'm not talking about the usual complaining and bellyaching that goes on in the stands every game. That happens everywhere. I'm talking about publicly berating the coach everywhere, in a very loud manner. (And for those of you in the know, this has been going on for MANY, MANY years at every level).

This is the only thing that can derail Fairmont from reaching state again.
In the past, Cogan would have benched these kids and let them know who's boss. Will he do it if this continues? We'll see.

If you're playing 10 consistently, your starting 5 isn't any good.
Not many teams play 8 regularly.
And yes I know about the past when he played 5 or 6.
But 8? That is the golden number for most coaches.

And regarding the DDN quote, was he accurate in what he said? Did he single anyone out? If you take out the word selfish, is it ok?
And we wonder why kids are so soft ... shaking my head

They only have 8 healthy girls on varsity, and only 1 is a good PG. Now the freshman may become a pretty good PG (I think she's more of a natural 2 or 3), but she's not yet ready for PG against a good team.
I don't think he should have said: "These players chose to lose this game tonight."
He could have said: We did not play team basketball tonight, we played selfish basketball.

(I'll bet practice yesterday was not a lot of fun...)

Fairmont at Fairborn

They only have 8 healthy girls on varsity, and only 1 is a good PG. Now the freshman may become a pretty good PG (I think she's more of a natural 2 or 3), but she's not yet ready for PG against a good team.
I don't think he should have said: "These players chose to lose this game tonight."
He could have said: We did not play team basketball tonight, we played selfish basketball.

(I'll bet practice yesterday was not a lot of fun...)

As a parent of one of the players, I stand by what coach said. They played a bad game, they didn't follow his instructions, they played selfish basketball, and they lost. We should not forget Ms. Gassion played a wonderful game and made an average team play at a higher level. Fairmont didn't play their usual game. Coach Cogan said it like it is. We must also remember this is a lost, I for one believe our girls will learn from their mistakes and move forward. I also believe some of our yappi critics are hurt more by what coach said then the girls are. Opinions, are just like--------, everybody has one etc,etc,etc!

We should not forget Ms. Gassion played a wonderful game and made an average team play at a higher level.

I'm sure this was meant as a compliment to Ms. Gassion and not as a dis to her "average team". So in kind, I'd like to give credit to Ms. Westbeld for playing a wonderful game and helping her average team to keep the score close. :D

Fairmont v Fairborn

I'm sure this was meant as a compliment to Ms. Gassion and not as a dis to her "average team". So in kind, I'd like to give credit to Ms. Westbeld for playing a wonderful game and helping her average team to keep the score close. :D

Marcus, glad to see your a fan. I said we played poorly, Alexis played great game no dis at all facts are facts. As long as Alexis can continue to do what she did for that team they will win. I don't think there's another girl on your team that has that ability except for Brooklyn. Why do you think it was an upset, because Fairmont has the average team or Fairborn. Before you ask about a dis go to the scouts and the critics to judge. It's great to be a fan but it's hard to be impartial when you are. Like Coach Cogan, I have to tell it like it is.

Marcus, glad to see your a fan. I said we played poorly, Alexis played great game no dis at all facts are facts. As long as Alexis can continue to do what she did for that team they will win. I don't think there's another girl on your team that has that ability except for Brooklyn. Why do you think it was an upset, because Fairmont has the average team or Fairborn. Before you ask about a dis go to the scouts and the critics to judge. It's great to be a fan but it's hard to be impartial when you are. Like Coach Cogan, I have to tell it like it is.

Just a little joke Buggin Out... just a little joke.

Springoro at Fairborn on Dec. 21 will decide who is the best D1 team in the Dayton area at this time. I say Boro win's this game.

Last edited:
Good game. It was actually alot closer than that score would indicate. Fairborn lead 20-13 at the half. Once again playing great defense. I think they held Springboro to 1 point in the first quarter. Springboro came out in the second half and kind of jumped on Fairborn. They got inside alittle bit, and hit I think 3, secondary break 3s that came at points in the game that they were just daggers to kill any momentum Fairborn may have been starting to build. I think Springboro got up by 10 at one point. But at about 1:30 left in the 4th Faierborn was only down 5 with the ball. I think they turned it over and then they had to put Springboro on the line.

It will be tough for Fairborn to get them back down in Springboro, but not impossible. Plus Fairborn may be at full strength by then.