Lorain (Lorain)
Medina (Medina)
Mentor (Mentor)
St Edward (Lakewood)
St Ignatius (Cleveland)
Stow-Munroe Falls (Stow)
Strongsville (Strongsville)
Wadsworth (Wadsworth)

St Eds, St Ignatius, Medina, Mentor, and Cleveland Heights stand out for sure. After that, I really would have to do some digging. Wadsworth is the only other Region 1 team (besides John Marshall) that had a winning record in 2022.

St Eds, St Ignatius, Medina, Mentor, and Cleveland Heights stand out for sure. After that, I really would have to do some digging. Wadsworth is the only other Region 1 team (besides John Marshall) that had a winning record in 2022.
The problem I have with thinking Ignatius will be top 8 is their schedule:
Springfield, Mentor, Pitts. Cent Catholic, Fitch, Hoban, St. Ed's, Moeller, St. X . Those could all be losses. That doesn't leave any room for error. Going to be a tough road to win enough games and get enough Harbin points. Not impossible, but difficult for sure.

If it’s the eight best teams, I probably wouldn’t choose Elyria. If it’s the top eight Harbins I might. They are capable of a 7-3.

Let’s be honest here people it’s St Ed’s and everyone else and I don’t think anyone is even remotely close…… I’m not being a homer but with what they have on the Oline and a returning state champ qb they should clean house.

mentor / iggy / Medina toss up behind them.
But you lost those 2 beasts to graduation.

I'd go:
1. St. Edward

2. Mentor
3. Medina
4. St. Ignatius
5. Cleveland Heights

6. Canton McKinley
7. Strongsville
8. Wadsworth

Once you get past Cleveland Heights, the gap narrows.

I'll throw out Valley Forge as being a team that isn't top 8 overall, but looking at their schedule and I don't see a for sure loss for them, though quite a few toss-up types. They are still listed in Region 6 but assuredly will get bumped up to R1. Normandy may as well if the split of Parma students is 50/50, but I have a feeling Valley Forge will take more of the Parma students than Normandy does. Does anybody know if/how the split has/will been determined?

Forge went 7-3 last year and finished with 16-plus points, which would have put them eighth. I think their schedule this year has quite a bit more point potential, so if they get to 7-3 again, they should land a home game. I'm not even ruling out 8 or 9 wins for them which could potentially put them in the top 4. Even if they get to No. 4, they would probably be 50-50 or even underdogs against whoever the 13rd seed would be. Forge actually isn't a bad program (like Parma and Normandy have been) and they've been a decent playoff caliber D2 for the past couple of years, but they are going to get little help from the Parma kids coming over, just a bunch additional students who will bump them back to D1.

Last edited:
I get Medina at 2 but Mentor and Ignatius both look a step below. Didn't the Cardinals lose most of their defense (graduation) and their starting RB (to injury)?

I get Medina at 2 but Mentor and Ignatius both look a step below. Didn't the Cardinals lose most of their defense (graduation) and their starting RB (to injury)?
I think Mentor will still be pretty solid to be up there with Ignatius and Medina. Their QB is a talent.

Offensively, I think that Mentor will be about where they were last season. Defensively, you’re right. They graduated 9 or 10 starters. It was last year’s defense that at times helped carry the team more than the offense.

Offensively, I think that Mentor will be about where they were last season. Defensively, you’re right. They graduated 9 or 10 starters. It was last year’s defense that at times helped carry the team more than the offense.
I hope it didn't come across as if I was slighting Mentor.

After watching them play Ignatius last year, even week 1, it was evident both teams were not going to compete with St Eds.

Ignatius is a mystery this year. A few players stand out but there are just too many questions at QB and on the lines.

Maybe this is new thread worthy, but I'll ask here.

How will the OHSAA determine Valley Forge and Normandy? I thought in situations of mergers, the OHSAA would recalculate the numbers even if it was a year that it wasn't done statewide.

The last two that affected R1 were Berea-Midpark and Admiral King-Southview, and both times, I believe, saw them jump immediately to R1. (Maybe both those aligned in years they were recalculating, can't remember).

I haven't heard/read anything definitively about what the OHSAA is going to do about the Parma merger and see Eitel still is showing Valley Forge and Normandy in D2/R6.

Whether both come up to R1 or stay in R6 doesn’t mean anything for regional title purposes but still has playoff seeding implications as well as L1/L2 implications.

Anybody know how the state is going to handle that?

1-St Edward
2-Mentor
2-Medina
4-St Ignatius
5-Canton McKinley
6-Wadsworth
7-Cleveland Hts
8-Berea-Midpark
9-Massillon Jackson
10-Elyria
11-Brunswick
12-GlenOak
13-Strongsville
14-Stow-Munroe Falls
15-Euclid
16-Lorain
17-John Marshall

Last edited:
Maybe this is new thread worthy, but I'll ask here.

How will the OHSAA determine Valley Forge and Normandy? I thought in situations of mergers, the OHSAA would recalculate the numbers even if it was a year that it wasn't done statewide.

The last two that affected R1 were Berea-Midpark and Admiral King-Southview, and both times, I believe, saw them jump immediately to R1. (Maybe both those aligned in years they were recalculating, can't remember).

I haven't heard/read anything definitively about what the OHSAA is going to do about the Parma merger and see Eitel still is showing Valley Forge and Normandy in D2/R6.

Whether both come up to R1 or stay in R6 doesn’t mean anything for regional title purposes but still has playoff seeding implications as well as L1/L2 implications.

Anybody know how the state is going to handle that?
Any update on this? Joe Eitel's site is showing Normandy and VF in D2/R6 which I believe is where they've always been. They're both absorbing Parma Senior as I understand it, but I haven't done the math to see if adding 1/2 of Parma would bump either to D1. Since the levy failed, I'm assuming Normandy and VF will continue to operate as independent schools for the foreseeable future, just a question of whether that's in D2 or D1.

Any update on this? Joe Eitel's site is showing Normandy and VF in D2/R6 which I believe is where they've always been. They're both absorbing Parma Senior as I understand it, but I haven't done the math to see if adding 1/2 of Parma would bump either to D1. Since the levy failed, I'm assuming Normandy and VF will continue to operate as independent schools for the foreseeable future, just a question of whether that's in D2 or D1.
Hasn't the OHSAA reclassified teams even into the regular season? I seem to recall Youngstown East a couple of years ago going down a couple of divisions (probably when Chaney reopened). From what I remember that affected Harbins into the season as teams lost some points due to the mid-season division change.

Could that be the situation here? One of the two (likely Valley Forge) will certainly be D1 sized. The only way Valley Forge wouldn't is if Normandy got the bulk of the Parma Senior students. But in that case Normandy would certainly be D1 sized. If it's a 50-50 split, both would probably be D1 (though Normandy a a small D1).

I can't put the Cats top 8 if we are talking about Harbins. If they navigate to top 8 with this schedule, we will have something going on at Wildcat High

Final Preseason. This is a week to week power ranking, not a projected Harbin pts list.

1-St Edward
2-Mentor
2-Medina
4-St Ignatius
5-Canton McKinley
6-Wadsworth
7-Cleveland Hts
8-Berea-Midpark
9-Massillon Jackson
10-Elyria
11-Brunswick
12-GlenOak
13-Strongsville
14-Stow-Munroe Falls
15-Euclid
16-Lorain
17-John Marshall

After week 1 w/ changes from last week. This is a week to week power ranking, not a projected Harbin pts list.

1-St Edward
2-Medina
3-Mentor
4-Canton McKinley (+1)
5-St Ignatius (-1)
6-Cleveland Hts (+1)
7-Wadsworth (-1)
8-Massillon Jackson (+1)
9-Berea-Midpark (-1)
10-Elyria
11-GlenOak (+1)
12-Brunswick (-1)
13-Strongsville
14-Stow-Munroe Falls
15-Euclid
16-Lorain
17-John Marshall

Last edited:
Here's how I have it after Week 1
1. St. Ed's (1-0) - No question they are in a tier of their own

2. Medina (1-0) - Stow is young, but Medina did what they should have done against them
3. Cleveland Heights (1-0) - Ran away from a solid Berea-Midpark team

4. Mentor (1-0) - Beat Jackson, but will drop them below the other two GCC teams for now
5. St. Ignatius (0-1) - Not a surprise they lost to Springfield; will get clarity on Iggy-Mentor this week
6. Canton McKinley (1-0) - Huge test this week against Avon

7. Wadsworth (1-0) - Nice win against Barberton; huge test coming up against Medina in Week 3
8. Strongsville (0-1) - Took a very good Avon Lake team down to the wire

Next: Jackson (solid performance in loss Mentor), Berea-Midpark (still a good team despite the loss to Heights), GlenOak (will find out more about them this week against Massillon)

After week 1 w/ changes from last week. This is a week to week power ranking, not a projected Harbin pts list.

1-St Edward
2-Medina
3-Mentor
4-Canton McKinley (+1)
5-St Ignatius (-1)
6-Wadsworth
7-Cleveland Hts
8-Massillon Jackson (+1)
9-Berea-Midpark (-1)
10-Elyria
11-GlenOak (+1)
12-Brunswick (-1)
13-Strongsville
14-Stow-Munroe Falls
15-Euclid
16-Lorain
17-John Marshall
What did Canton McKinley do to make the impression that they are ahead of St Ignatius?

After week 3 w/ changes from week 1. This is a week to week power ranking, not a projected Harbin pts list.

1-St Edward
2-Canton McKinley (+2)
3-Cleveland Hts (+3)
4-Medina (-2)
5-St Ignatius
6-Mentor (-3)
7-Wadsworth
8-Massillon Jackson
9-Berea-Midpark
10-Brunswick (+2)
11-GlenOak
12-Strongsville (+1)
13-Lorain (+3)
14-Elyria (-4)
15-Stow-Munroe Falls (-1)
16-Euclid (-1)
17-John Marshall

Looking at R1, yikes. A 1-3 record is good enough for #10. Region is very very down
it really is. I saw ClevHts, Medina, Mentor, McK, Ignatius as solid teams with talent, none have impressed.

If someone were to upset St. Edward, who is most likely candidate? Quite possibly that would be Ignatius, even though they will likely have the worst record of the teams I mentioned.