UPDATE (5/1) - Dillon Morlock - Updated - #4 A-T Outdoor Shot - 70' 0 1/2" - NOW 201' 2" Discus @ Norwayne #11 A-T

JAVMAN83

This is the first change in the top-10 all-time in the last 10 years as Dillon Morlock's PB of 68' 3.5" from this weekend moves him from #15 to #7 all-time, just ahead of legendary Lancaster Gale great Barry Walker (1982), and displaces Mike D'Andrea (Avon Lake) from the top-10.

Norwayne's relay teams of 161' 6.5" (shot) and 455' 0" (discus), while meet records, are still well below what I currently know as the all-time Ohio bests of 171' 2.5" (Lancaster, 1973) and 513' 11" (Mentor, 2000), respectively. I believe Norwayne's shot relay does land it in the top-10, however. Great throwing.

Last edited:

I also note that Copley senior Trevin Jordan made a prodigous leap in his PB from 57 to 61' with his 61' 0.5" put at the Tallmadge Quad this weekend. That leaps him into the top-100 at #92 with that put.

FYI - I currently have 148 boys having put 60 feet or better in Ohio since the first in 1963.

1712673910490.png

The impact is undeniable.

I'm not convinced that throwing shoes have made much of a difference. I was a thrower and did just fine in both tennis shoes and throwing shoes back when I was a yute. In looking at things historically, I see the following as the biggest changes/improvements in the shot put.

1) Changing from natural surfaces (dirt, cinder) that were common prior to the 1950s, to concrete pads.
2) Change of technique from the shuffle to the glide with its invention by Parry O'Brien, 2-time Olympic champion ('52,'56)
3) Introduction to serious weight training in the 1950s by O'Brien and others.
4) Introduction of the rotational technique in the 1970s, famously perfected by Brian Oldfield. This technique has allowed athletes of shorter stature and less brute leg strength to be as if not more competitive than "gliders". Most top shot putters are now "spinners".

Javman83, speaking of the relays. Where would the Avon Lake Girls shot relay from the lakewood ranger relays place? I feel like relay of 44'10.5, 39'9.5, and 37'7.5 has to be very high up on the list.

Javman83, speaking of the relays. Where would the Avon Lake Girls shot relay from the lakewood ranger relays place? I feel like relay of 44'10.5, 39'9.5, and 37'7.5 has to be very high up on the list.
I haven't done anything yet on the girls relay side except for some early discus & hammer relays. However, the late Craig Whitmore has the listed Ohio 3-girl relay record for the shot put at 124' 8.25" by the Westerville South team of Krista Keir, Emily Haynam, and Beth Tompkins. That mark was set at the Hammond Relays @ Pickerignton on 2 April 1998. Given Avok Lake's cumulative of 122' 3.5", I'd say they have a decent chance at being top 5, if not #2.

I won't have any girls' field relays lists until next year, when I hope I can at least give a top-20 list.

And just like that he breaks 70’
With that put, young Master Morlock moves from #7 to #4 all-time in Ohio, trailing only the late Charles Moye (Akron Ellet - 72' 8", 1987), Dustin Brode (Canfield, 71' 7 1/2", 2010 State D1 champ), and Jimmy Pacifico (Vandalia Butler, 71' 6 1/4", 2007).

Congratulations to the young man!

With that put, young Master Morlock moves from #7 to #4 all-time in Ohio, trailing only the late Charles Moye (Akron Ellet - 72' 8", 1987), Dustin Brode (Canfield, 71' 7 1/2", 2010 State D1 champ), and Jimmy Pacifico (Vandalia Butler, 71' 6 1/4", 2007).

Congratulations to the young man!
Love that solid track and field is alive and well in Ohio. Especially in the throws!

Dillon Morlock re-wrote the family discus record with his 193' 4" PB at Wooster on Saturday, leap-frogging older brother Colby's best of 192' 5" from 2022. This also moves Dillon into the #29 spot all-time in Ohio, up from his previous tie for #58.

Dillon also had a solid 67' 3" shot put win.

I wish reported results wouldn't truncate the field event series when results are reported online. Argh!

Wayne County sports Facebook page reporting he threw a 201’ 2” discus. Will wait to see if TDR posts a story to post
Confirmed now!

Dillon Morlock now leap-frogs again to the #11 spot on the Ohio all-time discus list with his 201' 2" PB at his home field vs. Dalton & Chippewa. Given that it's a trianguar, it probably wouldn't count towards a state Div. II record even if it were far enough, but he's only 2' 6" from being the new Div. II record-holder (203' 7", Corey Echelberry, Fostoria, 1999 State @ Dayton), 4' 5" from being the OHSAA record-holder (206' 4", Macklin Tudor, Western Brown, 2012 Wayne Invite), and only 7' 4" from being becoming the Ohio all-time leader (208' 5", Jason Caldwell, Mentor, 2000 Golden West Invite).

Nice throwing!

P.S. - Does anyone have info on Dillon's series of marks? I HATE when those aren't reported.