Could OHSAA survive a Private/Public Split and what do you want?

Would you approve of this initiative?

• Yes

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 76 65.5%

• Total voters
South Carolina (where I've lived now 19 years) has had spring ball for several decades. While the state does produce some talented young players it's not anywhere near Texas or Florida. I had this digital convo with someone last year (might've even been you) that if spring ball were the answer then SC high school football would be on par with the likes of the Florida's, Texas' and even the next door neighbor, Georgia. As it is, spring ball is not really that big of a factor. So it must be something else.
Can tell you exactly what it is, South Carolina education system is horrible. Lowest paying starting salary in the United States.

Also to compare to TX or FL…you’re talking about a state that is 10x smaller. There are some schools that produce plenty of players.

That’s about the numbers in any state.
Telling you, ask how many head football coaches WOULD NOT want Spring Ball. It would be less than 5%, private or public.
Coaches always vote for more practice regardless of whether it’s actually a good idea.

Reactions: y2h
The “recruiting” rules are the same for everyone.
No, that’s absolutely false.

Again, easiest question. How many different middle schools do players from St. X, Hoban and St. Ed’s come from compared to Jerome, Liberty, Mason, Pick North or Medina?

Please. You’re embarrassing yourself

Name some relevant programs.

You are making my point too easy.

So they are expected to compete with private schools who CAN recruit, they can do it? That’s insane when you think about it.
My point is recruiting is against the rules for everyone, and public schools try to get around the rules just as much as the privates. Your entire argument basis, that the rules don’t apply to privates, is incorrect.

Good conversation as I talked to an assistant that I knew growing up at a school who is usually pretty solid this weekend. They had a couple of practices in May and more 7 on 7’s this summer and they pretty much said they are not doing it again next year.

Between family obligations, other sports, coaches coaching other sports, they felt it was a waste of time and hasn’t made them any better. Would rather just used those days near season time.

No, that’s absolutely false.

Again, easiest question. How many different middle schools do players from St. X, Hoban and St. Ed’s come from compared to Jerome, Liberty, Mason, or Medina?

Please. You’re embarrassing yourself
The recruiting rules are the same for everyone.

The advantage a Medina or Pickerington has it that they are able to institute a program beginning in 3-4 grade. If you’re a decent to strong suburban district academically with above average property values and median incomes, you should be above average in almost every sport if you want to be.

Can tell you exactly what it is, South Carolina education system is horrible. Lowest paying starting salary in the United States.

Also to compare to TX or FL…you’re talking about a state that is 10x smaller. There are some schools that produce plenty of players.
Thank you. Your answer at least immediately proves it's not spring ball that is the answer to Ohio's or any other state's prayers.

Spring ball has very little to do with any of this. Like you said (and again this convo sounds just like the one I had with someone on here from last year) it comes down to which states have a.) large metro areas and b.) as a result for many larger than normal school enrollments.

Aside from teacher pay (which yes is pretty bad) can you provide some additional measurable metrics to be used for state by state comparison? In addition can we have some sort of connection between teacher pay and the development of high school football players?

My point is recruiting is against the rules for everyone, and public schools try to get around the rules just as much as the privates. Your entire argument basis, that the rules don’t apply to privates, is incorrect.
Please see question above.

Private school fans always avoid it. How many different middle schools does the players on your roster come from in comparison to other teams in their region? Most public schools are lucky to have 2.

It’s this simple, no one cares if you win a public school championship compared to a private school championship as they do from a D1 or D2, it’s the same thing. Open your eyes people.

Thank you. Your answer at least immediately proves it's not spring ball that is the answer to Ohio's or any other state's prayers.

Spring ball has very little to do with any of this. Like you said (and again this convo sounds just like the one I had with someone on here from last year) it comes down to which states have a.) large metro areas and b.) as a result for many larger than normal school enrollments.

Aside from teacher pay (which yes is pretty bad) can you provide some additional measurable metrics to be used for state by state comparison? In addition can we have some sort of connection between teacher pay and the development of high school football players?
Spring Ball and Athletic Periods gets you prepared for the next level. It’s not even close. Ask a recruiter. Florida and Texas has them (Georgia too I believe)

Spring Ball and Athletic Periods gets you prepared for the next level. It’s not even close. Ask a recruiter. Florida and Texas has them (Georgia too I believe)
If “athletic periods” are just times where kids go and lift Etc, some schools have that already. That isn’t something against the rules. There are quite a few that I believe allow it.

Also, if you’re 5’7” 145 pounds I don’t care if you transfer to IMG to play football. You will not get recruited for the next level. Genetics plays a huge part in that.

If “athletic periods” are just times where kids go and lift Etc, some schools have that already. That isn’t something against the rules. There are quite a few that I believe allow it.
In most schools in Texas for example, it’s 45 minutes a day of practice within the curriculum (there are grades for the class) Everyday of the school year. It makes a difference.

All sports. Even Tennis, Golf.

Please see question above.

Private school fans always avoid it. How many different middle schools does the players on your roster come from in comparison to other teams in their region? Most public schools are lucky to have 2.

It’s this simple, no one cares if you win a public school championship compared to a private school championship as they do from a D1 or D2, it’s the same thing. Open your eyes people.
If they are open enrollment, they can take as many as they want.

In most schools in Texas for example, it’s 45 minutes a day of practice within the curriculum (there are grades for the class) Everyday of the school year. It makes a difference.
I don’t think it does. What makes ia difference is 4,000 student schools to pull a roster from

If you think families receiving checks to go elsewhere if they don’t want to go to their local public school then yes, it will be massive for charter schools.
Charter schools are already a free option for everyone.

Please tell me more about this voucher nonsense. No one wants that at all.
The hell they don't. Families deserve full support for their kids to receive the best education possible, be it public or private. Who the hell are you to tell them where their kids can't go to school?

Any accredited school which will accept a student should receive the same stipend from the state for that student.

If you think families receiving checks to go elsewhere if they don’t want to go to their local public school then yes, it will be massive for charter schools.
So what? Do you think you know better about where each kid might thrive?

The hell they don't. Families deserve full support for their kids to receive the best education possible, be it public or private. Who the hell are you to tell them where their kids can't go to school?

Any accredited school which will accept a student should receive the same stipend from the state for that student.
Ask your local educators about this.

I’ll start another thread for this subject because it’s important.

Ask your local educators about this.

I’ll start another thread for this subject because it’s important.
You mean local educators who don’t want to have to be competitive or held accountable for results? They have a world view that they should “own” the kids who live in arbitrarily drawn boundaries.

You mean local educators who don’t want to have to be competitive or held accountable for results? They have a world view that they should “own” the kids who live in arbitrarily drawn boundaries.
This thread is for me to create my own death on the recommendation of separate tournaments for all sports public and private at the end of the season. Let’s save this discussion for another thread I created .

Football state favorites this year Div 1 St Edward Div 2 Akron Hoban Div 3 TCCC Div 4 Glenville (almost the same thing except religión part). I wish they would separate I like see a community come to together and support a team they played together alot. We don't have that anymore..

This thread is for me to create my own death on the recommendation of separate tournaments for all sports public and private at the end of the season. Let’s save this discussion for another thread I created .
The topics are definitely related. The issue some will have with separate tournaments and charters is the same. Some in public education feel they “own” kids in their boundaries. And anything that takes away from that is a threat.

Football state favorites this year Div 1 St Edward Div 2 Akron Hoban Div 3 TCCC Div 4 Glenville (almost the same thing except religión part). I wish they would separate I like see a community come to together and support a team they played together alot. We don't have that anymore..
What do you propose to balance the playing field for divisions 5-7 for the privates who are dominated by the publics?

And favorites is different than actually winning it. Publics win more titles than privates.

What do you propose to balance the playing field for divisions 5-7 for the privates who are dominated by the publics?
Its also disingenuous to use just this year because the history of 3-7 is very even between privates and publics

If Ohio had seperate playoffs for private and public schools who would compete against transfer portal teams like Springfield, Winton Woods, Lakota West and others? Then people would complain about that.