CoronaVirus and high school sports.

CoventryTrackXCguy

The Ohsaa has disallowed all fans from attending the tournament.basketball games. The NBA has suspended its season indefinately. Will we see track season be affected by this?

We'll see what the governor has to say in his official directive later today (Thursday). It wouldnt surprise me if at some point all sports(HS and NCAA) are cancelled for the rest of this school year.

We'll see what the governor has to say in his official directive later today (Thursday). It wouldnt surprise me if at some point all sports(HS and NCAA) are cancelled for the rest of this school year.

I seriously hope not. Complete over-reaction, but Dewine is a classic over-reactor. Scared of his own shadow.

This would be disastrous especially for seniors.

I seriously hope not. Complete over-reaction, but Dewine is a classic over-reactor. Scared of his own shadow.

This would be disastrous especially for seniors.

Indeed. Coventry would be robbed of its best ever opportunity of having it's first ever state champion.

The largely unprecedented nature of it all makes it extremely difficult for the decision makers to make the "right" decisions.

I generally agree that there has been a pretty egregious overreaction thus far, but at the same time it's difficult to know what the proper steps are for getting out in front of the whole thing. Tie that in with the fact that everyone is lawsuit-crazed these days and I'm sure there is an element of fear from that standpoint.

I certainly hope we end up having some sort of track season, but the way things are trending it seems, at the very least, like it won't go down as a normal season.

Sott has hit the nail on the head. This is a constantly evolving situation and it is hard to know what to do. With the virulence of covid-19, and the unknown aspects of the virus, it is better to err on the side of caution. This is all going to get worse before it gets better and once testing is made more available the number of cases will skyrocket. These types of viruses always increase exponentially. With covid-19 being a coronavirus, many forget that animals and humans can become infected. SARS and MERS were devastating coronaviruses and while the mortality rate of those coronaviruses was greater than covid-19, there are still a lot of unknowns about this new coronavirus. Who is to say that there won't be a mutation at some point?

I love sports and competition as much as anyone but there are things in life that are infinitely more important - such as taking precautions to protect those that are more susceptible to viruses of this nature and doing what is deemed necessary to make that happen. I have a kid that attends an Ivy. Everyone at her school needs to be off campus very soon. The school has students from every state and most every country. The logistical nightmare and impacts of all of school closings is so much greater than canceled sporting events.

Lastly, this is the 2nd thread I have been reading on this forum in the last week that has had political overtones injected into it. I have enjoyed the XC and track forums as being one of the things that I can read that is apolitical. Getting away from the toxicity of how politics is today is a nice break from what seems to be the norm these days. I will stop contributing to and reading this forum if it begins to have a political bent to it.

Last edited:
Sott has hit the nail on the head. This is a constantly evolving situation and it is hard to know what to do. With the virulence of covid-19, and the unknown aspects of the virus, it is better to err on the side of caution. This is all going to get worse before it gets better and once testing is made more available the number of cases will skyrocket. These types of viruses always increase exponentially. With covid-19 being a coronavirus, many forget that animals and humans can become infected. SARS and MERS were devastating coronaviruses and while the mortality rate of those coronaviruses was greater than covid-19, there are still a lot of unknowns about this new coronavirus. Who is to say that there won't be a mutation at some point?

I love sports and competition as much as anyone but there are things in life that are infinitely more important - such as taking precautions to protect those that are more susceptible to viruses of this nature and doing what is deemed necessary to make that happen. I have a kid that attends an Ivy. Everyone at her school needs to be off campus very soon. The school has students from every state and most every country. The logistical nightmare and impacts of all of school closings is so much greater than canceled sporting events.

Lastly, this is the 2nd thread I have been reading on this forum in the last week that has had political overtones injected into it. I have enjoyed the XC and track forums as being one of the things that I can read that is apolitical. Getting away from the toxicity of how politics is today is a nice break from what seems to be the norm these days. I will stop contributing to and reading this forum if it begins to have a political bent to it.

Agreed. There is plenty of opportunity to discuss politics in both the "General" and especially the "Debate" forums.

Just drove by a school that had tennis and track & field practices going on. I wonder at what point they will be called.

Word I have from a currently active coach is that practices go on, but meets are cancelled to at least when they come back after 3 weeks.

From a former athlete of mine who is an epidemiologist: "We lost the chance to make this relatively minor. We could have done what South Korea did. That is no longer possible. Now it is a matter of how many people die. If we don't take it seriously enough then it will be many thousands of people. A simple reading of public opinion makes me think that is the most likely case. I hope I am wrong."

My school has yet to officially decide what to do about extracurriculars, but some neighboring schools are shuttering all school activities, so I expect we’ll follow suit. If classes can’t be held, then neither should extracurriculars, IMHO.

It seemed rather inevitable that the season would be interrupted, and it’s all beyond the control of anyone on here. Best case is the spread of the virus can be checked, and we have some semblance of a season from late April to the end. For the sake of the seniors on the team, I’d be happy with that. However, that’s looking like more of a longshot with every hour that passes.

Last edited:
From a former athlete of mine who is an epidemiologist: "We lost the chance to make this relatively minor. We could have done what South Korea did. That is no longer possible. Now it is a matter of how many people die. If we don't take it seriously enough then it will be many thousands of people. A simple reading of public opinion makes me think that is the most likely case. I hope I am wrong."
Hundreds of thousands died from swine flu worldwide in 2009-2010 and I barely knew it was happening.