College Scholarships

cchs1983

So, if my kid receives more in value from a multitude of scholarships than tuition costs, does he pocket the remaining dollars?

It depends on the source of the scholarships and the terms of them. Scholarships through the University are never going to go above the cost of attendance (tuition + room and board), but if your student gets additional scholarships from outside sources, those sometimes will have restrictions on what the money can be used for and sometimes, they're unrestricted.

So, if my kid receives more in value from a multitude of scholarships than tuition costs, does he pocket the remaining dollars?
Good question, and I believe it is possible in some cases. The only scholarship checks I dealt with while in college were not made payable to me and had to be submitted to the bursar's office.

Are the scholarships need-based? If tuition is covered by other scholarships, the entity awarding the need-based scholarship might withdraw it because the need no longer exists.

I originally was to have work-study when I started college, but it was withdrawn because the combo of scholarships and my family's contribution eliminated my need for work-study. In the end, that may have been a bad thing. Work-study would've created some extra job experience to pad a resume for later.