Coastal Carolina/Liberty .... plus other strange things you've seen.

vamp2syd

You watch the game long enough and you will see things you have never seen before. I have mentioned early about a state title game where a team was up by 9 with less than a minute to go in the game, was taking a knee and ended up losing the game..... I also saw a bad punt recovered by the punting team behind the line of scrimmage go for a touchdown while everyone else was just standing around......

Last night in the college game I saw a very strange thing. The offensive team trying not to score while the defensive team was trying to get them to score. It was a tie game with under a minute to go. Liberty had it at the 2 yard line of Coastal Carolina and wanted to run the clock down in order to kick a FG with no time left. After taking a knee they still needed to snap the ball. This time the defense got a hold of the ball runner before he could go down, held him up, and pushed him towards the endzone.... the runner was putting on the breaks trying not to score and in this attempt he actually held the ball back keeping it from crossing the goal line but the ball got stripped and it was recovered by Coastal Carolina.....

So, what were some of the strangest things you have seen at a football game?

You watch the game long enough and you will see things you have never seen before. I have mentioned early about a state title game where a team was up by 9 with less than a minute to go in the game, was taking a knee and ended up losing the game..... I also saw a bad punt recovered by the punting team behind the line of scrimmage go for a touchdown while everyone else was just standing around......

Last night in the college game I saw a very strange thing. The offensive team trying not to score while the defensive team was trying to get them to score. It was a tie game with under a minute to go. Liberty had it at the 2 yard line of Coastal Carolina and wanted to run the clock down in order to kick a FG with no time left. After taking a knee they still needed to snap the ball. This time the defense got a hold of the ball runner before he could go down, held him up, and pushed him towards the endzone.... the runner was putting on the breaks trying not to score and in this attempt he actually held the ball back keeping it from crossing the goal line but the ball got stripped and it was recovered by Coastal Carolina.....

So, what were some of the strangest things you have seen at a football game?
With this, and the Raiders not scoring a TD, I hope these sort of strategies go away. The only time I am not trying to score a TD at the end is if I can run it out by kneeling it.
Hell, even the LVR game last night they had a bad snap, and he almost pushed the FG.

Take the damn TD. If your defense cannot hold the lead then, well, so be it.

I did see in a JH game years ago a team just tossed the ball up in the air on the last snap without kneeling it thinking, I guess, that the game is over when it hits zero.

Opposing team did not recover it tho.

Early in my officiating career I worked a game between rival schools that was for a league championship. Early in the 4th quarter there was a dive play at the goal line and the ball came loose. Four kids jumped on the ball at different times, none of them securing the ball... On the last scrum the ball came out back and came to rest on the goal line...... None of the kids knew it, they all thought the ball was still somewhere in the last pile..... Finally a player saw that none of the officials were around the pile, instead just standing there watching, he picked the ball up and scored the game winning touchdown.

A review of the tape the next morning showed that the ball laid on the goal line for 16 seconds while the kids were trying to recover the ball 7 yards away

I coached youth football and our league had a mercy rule stating that you could not beat a team by more than 40 points. The team we were playing was really bad we had scored 40 pts by the 3rd qtr and had let everyone on the team run that ball that met the weight requirements. we got to the point that we would let kids run the ball but have them take a knee if they broke it at the 20 yd line. The coach for the opposing team wanted to win so bad that he had his qb take the snap and run backwards to the end zone to try to get a safety. Our kids had to constantly tackle them before they got to their own goal line. eventually the ref stepped in and told the coach he would not give him credit for a safety if they did that. Just unbelievable.

With this, and the Raiders not scoring a TD, I hope these sort of strategies go away. The only time I am not trying to score a TD at the end is if I can run it out by kneeling it.
Hell, even the LVR game last night they had a bad snap, and he almost pushed the FG.

I don't mind the strategy, but it comes down to being smart enough to know how to do it. When Nick Chubb ran out of bounds at 1 earlier this year, the Browns were able to take 2 knees and the game was over. The Raiders (Chucky) either didn't know or didn't care that the Dolphins would get the ball back no matter what. If you can end the game, do it. If you can't, keep playing.

It's not a specific instance, but I do laugh at the # of high school games you can watch where it's obvious the winning coach doesn't realize that at some point their playing the clock more than the opponent. At the HS level, you basically need 2-3 "clock killing" plays that you can rotate through to end a game. Never thought about it much until the spread became so prevalent and realized not as many teams have "dive left/right & TE pop pass" on their playsheet.

I don't mind the strategy, but it comes down to being smart enough to know how to do it. When Nick Chubb ran out of bounds at 1 earlier this year, the Browns were able to take 2 knees and the game was over. The Raiders (Chucky) either didn't know or didn't care that the Dolphins would get the ball back no matter what. If you can end the game, do it. If you can't, keep playing.

It's not a specific instance, but I do laugh at the # of high school games you can watch where it's obvious the winning coach doesn't realize that at some point their playing the clock more than the opponent. At the HS level, you basically need 2-3 "clock killing" plays that you can rotate through to end a game. Never thought about it much until the spread became so prevalent and realized not as many teams have "dive left/right & TE pop pass" on their playsheet.
Chubbs: Browns were able to kneel the game away. Even at that they can still fumble the snap on a kneel down. Think their opponent would have had to score a TD, get onside, and score again if he gets that TD?
I realize, if there is a way for the browns to lose a game, they will but stilll.........

Gruden sacrificed a few points for 40 seconds is what it came down to. At the very least they should have tried to score a TD on the third down play.

I did see in a JH game years ago a team just tossed the ball up in the air on the last snap without kneeling it thinking, I guess, that the game is over when it hits zero.

Opposing team did not recover it tho.
The Raiders scored a few weeks earlier with 1:19 to go and the Chiefs scored. The Raiders did the right thing this week but horrible defense and a penalty lost them the game. It’s no different than most schools going for it on 4th and 1. The rules have made it so easy for the offense, hence why teams want the ball

The Raiders scored a few weeks earlier with 1:19 to go and the Chiefs scored. The Raiders did the right thing this week but horrible defense and a penalty lost them the game. It’s no different than most schools going for it on 4th and 1. The rules have made it so easy for the offense, hence why teams want the ball
Chiefs > Dolphins.

The end of the CVCA vs West Branch game got harry at the end. West Branch lead most of the game by 21-28 points and in the second half CVCA came all the way back to take a 3 point lead. CVCA got a first down at the 2 yard line with with about 1:20 left and West Branch was out of time outs. CVCA could have taken knees and ended the game. However they scored and went up by 10 with 1:13 left. West Branch was very talented and went right down a scored to make it 58-55 CVCA leading. West Branch recovered and onside kick and literally had a couple of shots at the end zone in the final seconds. CVCA help on ot win

Anyone remember a few years back, the embarrassing officiating on the nationally televised Cleveland Glenville-St. Thomas Aquinas from Florida game. I believe it was played in Cincinnati, as part of a whole weekend of games. As I remember Aquinas was inside the 5, and scored like 3 times, and the refs would not acknowledge the TD. Absolutely the worst homer officiating I’ve ever seen. What a black eye for the officials and the organizers. It’s not like the game was on the radio, and you could pull that sh##, like southern college refs were famous for back in the 50’s and 60’s. Made Ohio look like a place to stay away from, when scheduling preseason games. It’s how I remember it, please correct me, if I am in error.

Last edited: