Coaching Changes

I remember a few years ago hearing how great Ross Fiorello was. Then I looked at what he did at Akron Springfield.

Lmao...great comparison! East has won 70 games and three district championships the past four seasons. Yep definitely a great comparison to Ellety. :Ohno: Get off your high horse and get a clue!

I remember a few years ago hearing how great Ross Fiorello was. Then I looked at what he did at Akron Springfield.

I don't know where you heard that, but it certainly wasn't on this site. Every year it seems as if Ellet people say it is finally the year they are going to be competitive, but it hasn't happened yet. As I said before this past season, it has gotten to the point that you have become like the boy who cried wolf. Until they win some games, I 'm not going to believe it. I have nothing against Ellet and their imrpovement would great for the City Series as a league.

If you are going to resort to childish comebacks, at least think of something that makes sense. As B-W pointed out, his time at East more than compensates for his time at Springfield about 15 years ago.

I don't know where you heard that, but it certainly wasn't on this site. Every year it seems as if Ellet people say it is finally the year they are going to be competitive, but it hasn't happened yet. As I said before this past season, it has gotten to the point that you have become like the boy who cried wolf. Until they win some games, I 'm not going to believe it. I have nothing against Ellet and their imrpovement would great for the City Series as a league.

If you are going to resort to childish comebacks, at least think of something that makes sense. As B-W pointed out, his time at East more than compensates for his time at Springfield about 15 years ago.
My main point was that the whole post made no sense period. Bringing East's coach into discussion was irrelevant and actually quite amusing

My main point was that the whole post made no sense period. Bringing East's coach into discussion was irrelevant and actually quite amusing

Makes plenty of sense actually. hs sports fan takes every opportunity he can to lump Ellet fans together as some delsuional fanbase then goes ahead and rips on the poor state of the basketball program since Bruce Moore retired.

He's a RF fan (could be him for all I know!) so I took my potshot, childish as it may be. Two can play the game. We can keep going or we can get back on topic.

Makes plenty of sense actually. hs sports fan takes every opportunity he can to lump Ellet fans together as some delsuional fanbase then goes ahead and rips on the poor state of the basketball program since Bruce Moore retired.

He's a RF fan (could be him for all I know!) so I took my potshot, childish as it may be. Two can play the game. We can keep going or we can get back on topic.

Hilarious!! Doubt Fiorello spends his time on Yappi. Bottom line Ellet's lack of success over the past decade or so is well documented and that program barely shows signs of life. Deal with it. East has had MUCH more success during this same time period,hence the reason your post didn't make sense

Last edited:

I don't think you are delusional; simply poor evaluators for basketball talent. The expectations for the program when Fisher took over were completely unrealistic for the talent pool he inherited.

You mentioned that Fisher may return. Are there any updates? This would be the best move for their program. He brought a level of excited and boost of energy that was lacking previously, not to mention that they can use some coaching stability instead of a 4th coach in the past 7 seasons.

I thought this was announced a while ago, but there was another recent article on it.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content...ketball-panthers-name-boys-girls-coaches.html

Darby names boys, girls coaches
By SCOTT HENNEN
ThisWeek Community News
Wednesday June 27, 2012 10:46 AM

An assistant taking his first head coaching position and a successful coach from the Northwest District have been selected to lead the boys and girls basketball programs at Hilliard Darby High School.

Mark Hess, an assistant to Greg Nossaman at Olentangy Liberty and Willard, will lead the boys program.

Former Ohio State women's basketball player Jodi (Roth) Korbas has coached girls basketball at Shelby the past 10 seasons and will take the same post with the Panthers.

Hess replaces Jim Van Winkle, whose contract was not renewed after one season as interim coach.

"Everything about (the position) excites me, but the opportunity to be a head coach is the most exciting thing," said Hess, who will teach math at Darby. "To get the opportunity to go to a school like Hilliard Darby is great because it's a good school in a good community. It's exciting to have the opportunity to be the face of a program as well as the whole process of working with young kids and teaching the game."

Hess had been a varsity assistant at Liberty for four seasons and the freshman coach for one season at Willard. He played high school basketball at Ashland and played in college at Mount Vernon Nazarene.

"The thing about having a coach like Mark is that you know that you are going to lose them (to a head coaching position)," Nossaman said. "He has tremendous energy and a great passion for the game. If you have that passion, it gets you through the tough days ... it helps you with the ups and downs. He's a good math teacher and he's a good teacher of the game of basketball."

The Panthers finished 6-15 overall last season after losing to Worthington Kilbourne 59-43 in the opening round of the Division I district tournament. They finished seventh (3-11) in the OCC-Central Division, behind Upper Arlington (12-2), Dublin Coffman (9-5), Thomas Worthington (9-5), Kilbourne (8-6), Westland (8-6) and Davidson (7-7) and ahead of Central Crossing (0-14).

"We really are going to be based (game-plan wise) on what we've got on the roster, but for the last three years at Liberty we had a 'Princeton' offense," Hess said. "It teaches the kids to recognize defenses and then react to how the defense plays."

Korbas found success at Shelby as a player and coach. She led the Whippets to the Class AAA state title in her senior season in 1983 with a 71-69 win over Barberton in the championship game. She then played for Ohio State from 1984-87.

As a coach, she went 145-75 in 10 seasons leading the Shelby girls program, winning four Northern Ohio League titles. Last year, the Whippets finished 21-2, losing to Clyde 80-63 in a Division II district final.

"It's a great opportunity to teach in my certification area and in a school district with a great state report card," said Korbas, who will teach business.

"I taught for 25 years at Mansfield Senior and coached at Shelby, so it will be nice to be coaching in the school I teach."

Korbas replaces Liz Van Winkle, who resigned after three seasons.

The Panthers finished 8-14 overall last season after losing to ninth-seeded Watterson 51-33 in the second round of the Division I district tournament. Darby was 4-10 in the OCC-Central, finishing sixth behind Coffman (13-1), UA (12-2), Central Crossing (11-3), Davidson (7-7) and Thomas (6-8) and ahead of Westland (2-12) and Kilbourne (1-13).

"We're just getting some practices together and getting some of our offense and defense in," Korbas said. "I like what I see. The girls have been working hard and they hustle a lot. I see a lot of potential and we could have a successful season."

I thought this one had been announced as well, but I also noticed the article date is quite recent.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content...basketball-davis-replaces-rider-as-coach.html

Davis replaces Rider as coach
By JARROD ULREY
ThisWeek Community News
Wednesday June 27, 2012 10:40 AM

Scott Davis joined what he considers an exclusive club when he was named coach of the Reynoldsburg High School boys basketball team on June 9.

The Raiders compete in the OCC-Ohio Division, which has produced two of the past five Division I state championship teams in Newark (2008) and Pickerington Central (2012) as well as a Division I state semifinalist in Gahanna (2010).

According to Davis, there's nothing shabby about the outfit he's taking over, either.

Reynoldsburg has won two Division I district championships since 2006, including last season when the Raiders surprised top-ranked Northland 53-51 in a district final before losing to Canton McKinley 57-49 in a regional semifinal.

Davis, who will teach social studies at Reynoldsburg Encore Academy, replaces Chris Rider, who resigned May 11.

"When I did find out about (the job opening), there was absolutely no hesitation on my part," Davis said. "I consider it a premier job in central Ohio. (The OCC-Ohio is) arguably the toughest division in central Ohio. We've had Newark win a state title and Pickerington Central win a state title, and Gahanna made the final four. With other teams like Grove City and Pickerington North, it's just a tremendous league. As a coach, you're always trying to get better and the whole thing is going to be a great challenge. I'm willing to take it on."

Last season, Central won the OCC-Ohio at 13-1, followed by Newark (11-3), Gahanna and Grove City (8-6), Reynoldsburg and North (7-7), Lancaster (2-12) and Groveport (0-14). Four of the eight teams reached at least a district semifinal.

Davis, meanwhile, left a Beechcroft program that has been among the City League's upper-echelon for several years.

Although the Cougars went 8-15 last winter, they were 51-37 in four seasons under Davis. Beechcroft was 17-5 and a Division I district semifinalist in 2009 and was a Division II district semifinalist last season.

In 2010, the Cougars lost to Reynoldsburg 70-64 in overtime in the second round of the Division I district tournament.

Before arriving at Beechcroft, Davis, a 1991 Pickerington graduate, coached Jonathan Alder to a 27-16 record in two seasons from 2004-06 and then was an assistant at his college alma mater, Otterbein, for two seasons.

Davis served as an assistant coach at Delaware for four years before taking over at Jonathan Alder.

"Scott had the whole coaching background that you like," Reynoldsburg athletics director Jack Purtell said. "He's been an assistant college coach, he's coached at Delaware, Jonathan Alder, Beechcroft, he just had a really good background. We're thrilled to have him on board."

Under Rider, the Raiders won five league titles and were league runners-up five times. They also were district runners-up in 2001 and '02.

In 2006, with seniors Javonte' Clanton and Evan Washington leading the way, Reynoldsburg earned the program's first district championship.

The Raiders stumbled to an 8-13 record in 2010-11 but bounced back with a 14-10 finish last winter.

Reynoldsburg had winning records in 14 of Rider's 15 seasons.

According to the Zanesville Times-Recorder, Rider was approved to be the coach at his alma mater, Zanesville Maysville, on May 29. Rider went 79-27 from 1992-97 at Maysville before leading the Raiders to a 217-120 mark.

Rider's brother, Mark, is the athletics director at Maysville.

Reynoldsburg also lost six players to graduation from its district championship team, including regulars Ryan Carter, Spencer Kirksey, Chris Lee and R.J. Raglin.

The Raiders' top player, however, is expected to return.

Wendell Davis, who will be a senior, was named first-team all-league, honorable mention all-district and made the ThisWeek Super 12 after averaging 14.1 points and eight rebounds last season.

Also eligible to return are seniors Jaylen Givens and Mykel Traylor-Bennett and junior Travis Gleason. Traylor-Bennett verbally committed to play football at the University of Cincinnati earlier this month.

Scott Davis headed the cross country program at Beechcroft and the girls track and field team at Mifflin this past school year but does not plan to coach either sport at Reynoldsburg in the coming school year.

"We got together with some of the guys, and right now we're getting to know one another and kind of assessing what we have," he said. "I know that Wendell Davis is one of the top players in the area coming back. You can (build) around a player like that. We've got pieces and have got kids that can shoot it a little bit, and we've got a kid who appears to be a leader in Wendell Davis.

"What's appealing about the job is when you look at the athletes we have across the board. They put some good kids on the football field and on the track, and these kids are all pretty serious about athletics."