Cleveland Browns 2023 Edition

Chris sounded both shrill and awkward at the PbP mic, to me.
Rose is the kind of guy HR people love. He doesn't say anything crazy, his takes are rational and thought out. In essence, he's too bland. That's great and all for most things, but for a team station broadcast there needs to be a degree of homerism involved. It's a fine line though, just too much is way too much (look at the St. Eds broadcast for an example of WAY too much homerism).

But you can tell Siciliano is a fan of the team and also a pro at broadcasting. A perfect match.

Rose is the kind of guy HR people love. He doesn't say anything crazy, his takes are rational and thought out. In essence, he's too bland. That's great and all for most things, but for a team station broadcast there needs to be a degree of homerism involved. It's a fine line though, just too much is way too much (look at the St. Eds broadcast for an example of WAY too much homerism).

But you can tell Siciliano is a fan of the team and also a pro at broadcasting. A perfect match.
Agreed on all counts, and well said, except to note that I am taking your word on the Ed's broadcast, as you're flying their colors.

Unless you formerly posted in here as "SuperD1" 😉

fyp and pretty much agree with the rest.
Yeah yeah, I get it. I still dream about Cleveland taking back the “old organization” and giving Baltimore the current 24 year old expansion franchise. From 1946-1995 the Browns only had 12 losing seasons. 59 years and only 12, including the uninspired 1995 team that knew they were leaving. In the past 24 seasons the Browns have had 21 losing campaigns 😫. Sadly, the Browns franchise as we know them does not win games, even the ones they are supposed to. After 24 years, these are the Browns we’ve got. As much as I’d like to go back to the 70s and 80s (hell, even the early 90s) as an excited Browns fan, I cannot. Now I’m just an old, beat down fan who has no other option than to accept the reality of it.

This week is the perfect game for the classic Cleveland Browns fan kick in da nutz. Can't you just see it? Coming off of a huge win losing to the a Gardner Minshew led lousy Colts team.

Yeah yeah, I get it. I still dream about Cleveland taking back the “old organization” and giving Baltimore the current 24 year old expansion franchise. From 1946-1995 the Browns only had 12 losing seasons. 59 years and only 12, including the uninspired 1995 team that knew they were leaving. In the past 24 seasons the Browns have had 21 losing campaigns 😫. Sadly, the Browns franchise as we know them does not win games, even the ones they are supposed to. After 24 years, these are the Browns we’ve got. As much as I’d like to go back to the 70s and 80s (hell, even the early 90s) as an excited Browns fan, I cannot. Now I’m just an old, beat down fan who has no other option than to accept the reality of it.
Actually, I believe it was only 11 losing seasons…and I don’t count 1995…so 10.

Actually, I believe it was only 11 losing seasons…and I don’t count 1995…so 10.

In the Super Bowl era (1966 season to 1995), the ‘Old Browns’ had 30 seasons and their records:

* 232-212-4, 52.23%
* 16 winning seasons, 11 losing, 3 five hundred
* 13 playoff appearances

The 1960’s and half of the 70’s was before my time so I can’t really comment on those years. The mid & late 70’s were dominated by the Steelers and the Oilers were tough. The 80’s the Browns had the heartache losses to Denver & John Elway. I believe the Browns had the better team but they had no answer for Elway. The NFC was far superior to the AFC in the 80’s so even if the Browns got past Elway, they would have been a TD+ underdog to the NFC.

Respectable records & competitive but the only threat/chance at a Super Bowl contender was the 3 seasons in the 1980’s. The 1990’s the Browns were a mess with Modell trying to squeeze the city for $$$ and a new stadium. Since 1999, there has been the playoff win vs the Steelers and this past weeks win vs San Francisco.

This week is the perfect game for the classic Cleveland Browns fan kick in da nutz. Can't you just see it? Coming off of a huge win losing to the a Gardner Minshew led lousy Colts team.
Remember when the Brian Hoyer led team blew out the Steelers. Some of the national talking heads were saying that with the Browns remaining schedule that year, that the Browns had a good chance to win the division. The next week they laid an egg and got beat by the Jags.

Chris Rose just cited this frightening stat: Since the beginning of 2021, the Browns are 3-13 after a victory. Never forget Bailey Zappe.

The diagnosis on Watson is now a strained rotator cuff with microtears in his right throwing shoulder instead of just a bruise. This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Yep. You are correct. I missed the 1982 strike season. 4-5, but ironically they made the playoffs that year. So 12, but I don’t include that 1995 season. They were 4-4 when they announced the team was moving.
1697722429247.png
Legend

For sure the Browns most forgotten post-season appearance. A young Hanford Dixon was having a hard time with an old Cliff Branch in that first TD drive by the Raiders.

cleveland.com:

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson took a big step Thursday toward returning to action, possibly as soon as Sunday’s game against the Colts.

For the first time since suffering a strained right rotator cuff Sept. 24 against the Titans, Watson practiced with the team and threw more than just a few passes Thursday in the early part of practice open to the media. He threw some short routes of about 10 yards, and then opened on a few for about 30 yards.

As a Brown, Watson averages 18 for 30, 198 yards passing and 1.3 TDs per game. Until he plays more than one above average game, my excitement is very tempered.

I think he's the best alternative they have and that he may well come around, but he needs to show me at this point. At this juncture, he's not shown he's anywhere near worth the bounty of picks or salary given up for him.

Run William Run!

As a Brown, Watson averages 18 for 30, 198 yards passing and 1.3 TDs per game. Until he plays more than one above average game, my excitement is very tempered.

I think he's the best alternative they have and that he may well come around, but he needs to show me at this point. At this juncture, he's not shown he's anywhere near worth the bounty of picks or salary given up for him.
Agreed. Watson is our best option, but far from a savior at this point.