Central District

What would it take to make that happen? Seriously. I realize that there are historic ties to Canton. Is there a financial reason not to hold the meet at OSU? If so, what $ amount would address that issue? Is there a logistical reason not to hold it in the middle of the state? Who (the specific people - not just naming the organization or group) decides where the state meet is held?

I am not trying to create a big hub-bub and mish-mosh to this thread about having the sate meet in Canton. I am just looking for the objective facts. It is not clear to most people.

My understanding is that there is a long term contract in place with the OHSAA and Branin Natatorium. I believe that that there is something like 8 years left in the contract. As you can imagine, this is always a hot topic at this time of year. It is best to just hope for some great times this week at the District level and some great racing next week in Canton.

What would it take to make that happen? Seriously. I realize that there are historic ties to Canton. Is there a financial reason not to hold the meet at OSU? If so, what $ amount would address that issue? Is there a logistical reason not to hold it in the middle of the state? Who (the specific people - not just naming the organization or group) decides where the state meet is held?

I am not trying to create a big hub-bub and mish-mosh to this thread about having the sate meet in Canton. I am just looking for the objective facts. It is not clear to most people.

Not all that historic. For years the meet was held in Columbus at OSU. It moved to Canton in 1976 when that natatorium was state of the art and OSU's had become outdated.

My understanding is that there is a long term contract in place with the OHSAA and Branin Natatorium. I believe that that there is something like 8 years left in the contract. As you can imagine, this is always a hot topic at this time of year. It is best to just hope for some great times this week at the District level and some great racing next week in Canton.

Correct the OHSAA has 8 or so years left on a 10 year contract. The rental amounts have never been disclosed publicly to my knowledge. However, the OHSAA has claimed seating capacity as the reason to stay in Canton as Branin holds 2500 spectators with deck space for swimmers. And the coziness does create a marvelous atmosphere, although now that D2 swims separately the need for all the seats is not as great.

Anyway until the contract is finished it's a mute point. And although there has been discussion about the need for a better pool on this and other forums in the past, within the high school swimming community surprisingly, it has never seemed to be a major issue. You would think that the SW which always has the most swimmers in the meet would advocate for a site that is geographically closer to them. And logic would seem to suggest that you would want to swim the biggest (and fastest) high school meet in the fastest pool.

Without diving the meet scores out from the psych sheets this way: UA, 405; SC, 324; Coffman, 134; New Albany, 128; Pick. N, 127; Jerome, 126; West. Central, 125. Jerome, NA, WC, UA, & PN all have one or more divers.
Based on sectional times here's how the meet scores without diving: UA, 435; SC, 283; Jerome, 154; NA, 144; West. C, 137; Pick. N 128, MV, 123; Coffman, 115

Interesting. UA & Jerome were significantly stronger at the sectionals than projected while SC dropped alot. Wonder if that will continue.

I wouldn't read to much into SC's sectional performance. Traditionally SC drops alot of time for the district meet. Expect them to score significantly higher - 40 to 50 points. If nowhere else their relays will finish much higher. If you look at their sectional relay lineups they were not stacked. In the past SC has often not even stacked their relays in the district meet. This year they better or they risk not getting their relays to move on...in fact, even stacked it's not a guarantee.

The real excitement this year in the team race is to see who finishes third. That will depend on who hits their taper as a team. The breast, back & fly should all be great races with anywhere from 3 to 5 swimmers in contention to win. And the fewer automatics may work out for a faster meet as with the exception of Joey Long, not sure anyone else is assured of moving on without a full taper .

here are my predictions...discuss!

200 mr-ua, sc, pn
200-long, callahan, cutler
im-dipietro, reardon, trace
50-decker, whitaker, rabe
fly-martin, moore, jelen
100-decker, martin, moore
500-long, neri, newcome
200 frr-ua, sc, wc
back-trace, neri, dipietro
breast-cochran, jenny, reardon
400 frr-ua, sc, dc

team-ua, sc, dj (2 of the top 3 divers)

here are my predictions...discuss!

im-dipietro, reardon, trace
50-decker, whitaker, rabe
back-trace, neri, dipietro
breast-cochran, jenny, reardon
)

Good predictions on most, but I have a few thoughts. I think that Whitaker in the 50 was a shaved time and as a freshman he will get out raced by the move motivated seniors like New Albany's Honeycutt. I am also going to add my home team favorite Harper in both the IM and breast. Harper was 1:58 in the IM last year and can outpace Trace for third and I think that he will replace Reardon in breast for third as well. I also don't think that there is any way that Depietro is going to lose back to Trace. Same guys, different order.

Central District Meet Results

swimmeet.com is posing tweets from all of the District meets live by using the following hashtags at the end of the text

Central: #cendm
Northeast: #nedm
Northwest: #nwdm
Southwest: #swdm

They are also collecting and posting them live on the site www.swimmeet.com

They are also collecting all of the results and compiling them by end of day toady for DII and late Saturday night for DI (the SW District wont finish until almost 10 pm

Based on sectional times here's how the meet scores without diving: UA, 435; SC, 283; Jerome, 154; NA, 144; West. C, 137; Pick. N 128, MV, 123; Coffman, 115

How they finished:

UA, 435; SC, 336; Jerome, 170; West. Central, 148; NA, 134; Pick. North, 128; Coffman, 124; Kilbourne, 114; MV, 112; Thomas, 110