Call for replacing HS coaches?

thisisinsane

Heading into week 10, and I’ve already seen so many calls for HCs to be fired.

I’d like to use this thread to start a conversation about this aspect of HS sports.

I feel like society is pushing good men out of being HS football coaches. For whatever reason the adult reaction is to typically get rid of the coach for perceived ineffectiveness. What is ineffectiveness for a HS coach? Because he doesn’t win? Seriously? What’s the team GPA like? Does the coach get regular attendance? What’s he do with the kids? Do the kids respect him?

As far as HS coaching goes, I’ve been blessed to be around some great ones, what are we looking for? Are we setting realistic expectations? Are we (the community) showing support of a coach who’s losing? Or are we telling the players that it’s “coaches fault”? (Literally heard that from a parent at a JV game as the players walked off the field-“it’s ok boys, it’s the coaches fault”)

Let me repeat and clarify, HS coaches don’t do it for the money! They are spending their time (usually for something like $1-$2 per hour) typically away from their family, with our kids! Many will spend more time with your kids, than their own kids during the season. For what? So some inebriated slack-jawed yokel that was undefeated at Polk high in ‘84 can tell you how HE would do it. I mean, on top of that Polk High ‘ship, he’s watched football from Thu to Mon while downing two cases of Natty Light over the weekend, definitely knows football better than the guy that attends clinics, talks to and learns from college and pro coaches, and spends 5-7 days a week with the players.

I always find it curious that I never see the fat slob Dad at the XC meet yelling to the coaches about running form…

If we aren’t careful, we are going to continue to drain the already shallow pool of quality applicants.

1. Be a Fan if you’re a fan!
2. Be a Dad if you’re a Dad! (Parent)
3. Be a Coach IF you’re a coach! (If not, stick to 1&2)

Quit calling for HS coaches jobs simply based on W/L. Some posters (usually “New Member”) call for HS coaches jobs as if they’re paid like college/NFL. Also calling on public schools to put together a “package” to lure the right guy🤣. I love that one. All kinds of schools trying to pass operating levies, and ole Russ Johnson, you know Russ, he was 2nd string CB in HS and his son threw for 3000 yds in the 5/6 grade MS 5 game season, he wants the admin to put together a package to get either Ryan Day or Nick Saban in here, or he’s taking his boy to Texas.

Last edited:

Link posted on OVAthletics. A certain someone on that board needs to read this.
A lot of certain someone’s need to hear this on this board. People here constantly complaining about schools, coaches, etc that their situations/perspective is 100% accurate/correct. But it’s easier to post on here and complain constantly along with what their family/friends/etc say to them too. Maybe, just maybe, YOU (not OP/carnholio) are part of the problem nowadays and will continue to make problems for your school/sports teams until you figure out it’s not about you.

I’d like to use this thread to start a conversation about this aspect of HS sports.

I feel like society is pushing good men out of being HS football coaches. For whatever reason the adult reaction is to typically get rid of the coach for perceived ineffectiveness. What is ineffectiveness for a HS coach? Because he doesn’t win? Seriously? What’s the team GPA like? Does the coach get regular attendance? What’s he do with the kids? Do the kids respect him?

As far as HS coaching goes, I’ve been blessed to be around some great ones, what are we looking for? Are we setting realistic expectations? Are we (the community) showing support of a coach who’s losing? Or are we telling the players that it’s “coaches fault”? (Literally heard that from a parent at a JV game as the players walked off the field-“it’s ok boys, it’s the coaches fault”)

Let me repeat and clarify, HS coaches don’t do it for the money! They are spending their time (usually for something like $1-$2 per hour) typically away from their family, with our kids! Many will spend more time with your kids, than their own kids during the season. For what? So some inebriated slack-jawed yokel that was undefeated at Polk high in ‘84 can tell you how HE would do it. I mean, on top of that Polk High ‘ship, he’s watched football from Thu to Mon while downing two cases of Natty Light over the weekend, definitely knows football better than the guy that attends clinics, talks to and learns from college and pro coaches, and spends 5-7 days a week with the players.

I always find it curious that I never see the fat slob Dad at the XC meet yelling to the coaches about running form…

If we aren’t careful, we are going to continue to drain the already shallow pool of quality applicants.

2. Be a Dad if you’re a Dad! (Pare

Quit calling for HS coaches jobs simply based on W/L. Some posters (usually “New Member”) call for HS coaches jobs as if they’re paid like college/NFL. Also calling on public schools to put together a “package” to lure the right guy🤣. I love that one. All kinds of schools trying to pass operating levies, and ole Russ Johnson, you know Russ, he was 2nd string CB in HS and his son threw for 3000 yds in the 5/6 grade MS 5 game season, he wants the admin to put together a package to get either Ryan Day or Nick Saban in here, or he’s taking his boy to Texas.

...but...but...but...he doesn't see my boy's talent...

Sounds like someone is on the hot seat….😂

You might be generous on the money aspect. And I love a good Married w/ Children reference.

We are already there. No one wants to do this $chit anymore because it simply is not worth it. The time demands in order to compete and the over the top parents have sucked all the life out of coaching.
This should hang on every stadium fence near the entrance.
In my coaching days, overall, the best kids had parents who were very hands off. It was their kids game, not theirs. To your point, most of the kids I coached whose parents played at a high level "got it" and were not overbearing. "Russ Johnson." lol. It was always these guys. The worst.

Agreed. If you're at the high school level, if the coach is (1) competent, (2) a hard worker, (3) a good mentor, those should be what keeps them a coach unless they want to leave or if they do something that represents the school in a negative light.

We have lost, and are losing, coaches too quickly, and soon, like officials, you'll have what you want....no one working any of the jobs.

I knew you’d stop by.
Please inform us of who you would go after if you were running point on the search committee?
Also, please describe the “offer” you will use to lure said coach to NC.

Thanks in advance!
Based on his grammar no one his letting him on a committee let alone run point. ;)
tThe Hoover highschool high school coaches aren’t competent.. hHave you watched one of their games?

The environment isn't 20-30 years ago where successful small school coaches naturally looked to go to bigger programs. People stay in good situations and I don't blame them. It's also getting harder and harder to find qualified people to fill out coaching staffs. The grass is not always greener.

the Hoover highschool coaches aren’t competent, have you watched one of their games
How many years of HS varsity level football have you coached?

At what size schools.
Please post all your evaluations from your supervising coach/admin, then will take you seriously!

At what size schools.
Please post all your evaluations from your supervising coach/admin, then will take you seriously!
You don’t have to be an expert at coaching to realize it’s not smart to run a bubble on 3rd and 19.

So your answers were None, None and None! Thanks for playing!

At what size schools.
What were your teams records.

2. Be a Dad if you’re a Dad! (Parent)

Plenty of loudmouth hillbillies on here who have done exactly what you say here! Others make up lies and go to the AD and School Board to try and get Coach Tommy Touchdown to Step Down so they are not exposed for the loudmouth hillbilly, snobby parents that they really are!!

the Hoover highschool coaches aren’t competent, have you watched one of their games
Good God you're starting to sound like the few idiots at Lake that want DeGeorge gone. He may win a share of the league for the 2nd year in a row. Why cause he actually finally has the talent to compete the last few seasons. It wasn't just sporadic talent it was talent all over the field. Sure injuries hurt this years team early , but they were talented enough to overcome. Hoover replaced their lines and rb. Then their stud qb goes down and their beat wr is now the qb. What the hell do you want this guy to do perform miracles? Perry wants their coach gone as well. I'm sure some in McKinley land want Hall gone. As I'm sure Garcia's seat was getting warm until last night's huge win.Seems like the only safe Coaches are the Green guy and Rohr at Jackson.

Good God you're starting to sound like the few idiots at Lake that want DeGeorge gone. He may win a share of the league for the 2nd year in a row. Why cause he actually finally has the talent to compete the last few seasons. It wasn't just sporadic talent it was talent all over the field. Sure injuries hurt this years team early , but they were talented enough to overcome. Hoover replaced their lines and rb. Then their stud qb goes down and their beat wr is now the qb. What the hell do you want this guy to do perform miracles? Perry wants their coach gone as well. I'm sure some in McKinley land want Hall gone. As I'm sure Garcia's seat was getting warm until last night's huge win.Seems like the only safe Coaches are the Green guy and Rohr at Jackson.
There are still Lake fans who want DeGeorge gone? I figured they would have all come around by the end of last season.

Not sure what that guy's problem is. Hoover was playing well until Dyrlund got hurt. Injuries are a part of the game unfortunately, and some years you just have bad luck. I think Hoover overachieved in 2021 and 2022. If anyone in the Federal League is going to replace their coach this offseason it's probably Perry, but even that seems unlikely.