Buttons on uniforms????????

NorthVikingDad

Can anyone help me? I am new to high school volleyball. Last evening our team was playing in a sectional match and the referees awarded the other team a point at the beginning of the 1st game because our team had 2 or 3 buttons on the neckline of their uniforms. We have played ALL season long and have never been penalized for this. Can any volleyball vets out there help me with this question????? :confused:

if you are a coach at north, then judging by yesterdays score... that one point wouldn't have mattered. i'm not sure of any rule about that, but the season is over. don't sweat it.

I am NOT the coach at North. If you noticed, my name has DAD in it. The coaches for the team are all female! My question was if there was a rule about a button smart guy! :p The score is immaterial. I was simply asking a question about a rule that you obviously don't know the answer to.

Come on SAD no reason to respond like that. I am curious about the ruling also. Can't you just ask one of the Tallmadge players or coach Walck about the rule and get us an answer to the question.

Buttons on Uniforms

I'm a h.s. Volleyball Coach, and I can tell you that it states specifically in the National Federation Rule Book that uniforms can have no buttons or zippers.

The question I have had is why this is so. First of all, softball uniforms have buttons (and sometimes zippers) and the potential for contact between players of opposing teams is much greater than in Volleyball, where the teams are completely separated by the net. And what about Football? Metal clips, bolts, etc. all over the player!! Secondly, were there a lot of "button-related" injuries that prompted this rule? I've been in Volleyball for nearly twenty years and have never seen a uniform or piece of a uniform injure a player.

Just another example of why Volleyball is the most over-ruled, oft-changed sport.

Re: Buttons on Uniforms

kandor said:
I'm a h.s. Volleyball Coach, and I can tell you that it states specifically in the National Federation Rule Book that uniforms can have no buttons or zippers.

The question I have had is why this is so. First of all, softball uniforms have buttons (and sometimes zippers) and the potential for contact between players of opposing teams is much greater than in Volleyball, where the teams are completely separated by the net. And what about Football? Metal clips, bolts, etc. all over the player!! Secondly, were there a lot of "button-related" injuries that prompted this rule? I've been in Volleyball for nearly twenty years and have never seen a uniform or piece of a uniform injure a player.

Just another example of why Volleyball is the most over-ruled, oft-changed sport.

Northdad,

There's a lot of rules that aren't called strictly in season that are called in the Tournament. Just FYI

Kandor,

It's a safety issue. Those buttons aren't necessary. The buttons/clips/etc in football/softball/etc are necessary evils. They'd be illegal too if they didn't hAVE to be there.

Thanks Kandor. I guess the one possibility w/ v-ball is someone could lose a button during a game and someone could slip on it. I'm curious does basketball have the same rule about buttons. If not they should.

RAP,

Basketball has a pretty extensive list of rules on uniforms and I'd imagine no buttons on the outside at least would be one of them. I'll look it up though and let you know.

Thank you all for the answers. I think I understand it a little better, not that I agree with it. I understand that there are rules to be followed and do not have a problem with them. I was just wondering why it was not enforced during the season at all. My daughter is a freshman playing varsity and so I am totally new to all this. (have two older boys). Even though North didn't have a particularly good year, still volleyball is a great sport and I look forward to seeing her play the next 3 years.

P.S. They just bought these uniforms this year. :dang:

Northdad,

I agree that the rules should be enforced the same during the season and in the tournament. Unfortunately, this is often not the case.