Better Running Back?

Better HB?

• Total voters

If you thought it was no contest, why would you post it? My guess is because it's one of the only things Cleveland can hang it's hat on.

Jim Brown is arguably the greatest football player of all time and I'm not sure if Emmitt can crack the top 10 RB list. Horrible poll.

Barry Sanders was easily the greatest athlete I ever saw in person.

Jim Brown made some comments that Smith wasn't that good. I think Brown is easily better.

Only saw highlights and game film footage of Jim Brown, but I tend to side with those who say he was the best ever.

Of the players I actually saw play, I would go with a tie at RB between Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson. Campbell was unbelievably powerful, and Dickerson was just so smooth with those long strides. He looked like he was just gliding away from the tacklers.

The best player I've ever seen was Lawrence Taylor. He absolutely dominated games from his free-lancing OLB slot.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention Walter Payton. He gained most of his yards when the Bears sucked, and the opponent's entire defense was geared to stop him. They couldn't.

Riggins? He was good. I never thought he was great. The others on your list were great.

I put Riggins on there, because he was the one back in NFL history that when you needed a yard or 2 and everyone in the stadium knew he was going to run up the middle, he couldn't be stopped.
I saw Brown play, no one could bring him down[not even the Black players:rolleyes: ]

There are several others I saw who were better than Smith, Leroy Kelly, Jon Brockington, for ex. Smith had longevity and a longer playing season to amass his career totals, something to take account of.
The best indivual game by a running back I saw in person was, Barry Sanders's OkSt game at Nippert against UCincy, but for overall, saw many games of Jim Brown in Cleveland; he was the MAN among boys.

Tough to call who is the greatest ever because Brown played in a much different era. That said, Earl Campbell was the better back IMO. If he could have played in the Jim Brown era, he would have put Jim on his back and rushed for as many yards as Jim Brown did.

The Tyler Rose >>>>>> everyone else.

Tough to call who is the greatest ever because Brown played in a much different era. That said, Earl Campbell was the better back IMO. If he could have played in the Jim Brown era, he would have put Jim on his back and rushed for as many yards as Jim Brown did.

The Tyler Rose >>>>>> everyone else.

Campbell was the best I ever saw in person, along with Dickerson, but the players were not much different yet in Campbell's era than they were in Brown's era. The only real difference is the passing rules had been loosened for Earl's entire career, even though he still had a lot of carries. Where Brown will always beat Campbell is the longevity of his prime. Campbell was beat up quickly from all the gang-tackles. Brown wasn't.

Jim Brown was by far the best , its a no brainer. The rest line up behind him.Emmitt Smith rushed for over 1,250 yards seven different seasons. Jim Brown did it three times – in 12 GAME SEASONS! Overall, he accomplished the feat seven seasons out of nine, in seasons that never had more than 14 games.Jim Brown ran for over 12,000 yards and missed out on 26 games because of the era he played in. If you were to simply multiply this by his YPG average, he gains another 2,700 yards. Now we are looking at numbers that are just insane. He would have at least two different seasons where he rushes for over 2,000 yards and he would have over 15,000 yards on the ground, and he still retired at the age of 29.Was Earl Campbell a great back? Hell yea he was great, the closest thing i saw to Brown. Iwould put him my top three. Barry Sanders just way too many carries for minus yards.Anyone that would put Sanders above Jim Brown probably didnt see Brown play. Here is a quote from from man that seen them both play, Barry Sanders father. "As good as Barry was, it would be foolish for anyone to say that he ever approached Jim Brown".

Can't believe nobody mentioned Eric Dickerson or Marcus Allen :confused:

Personally I'd take Marshall Faulk over Emmit Smith any day.

Can't believe nobody mentioned Eric Dickerson or Marcus Allen :confused:

Personally I'd take Marshall Faulk over Emmit Smith any day.

Check out Post #13 in this thread. I am also surprised it took so long for someone to mention Allen. There are so many truly great RB's in NFL history, though.

Check out Post #13 in this thread. I am also surprised it took so long for someone to mention Allen. There are so many truly great RB's in NFL history, though.

I see now. :thumb: Dickerson was smooth, a pure track runner. I just hated that he ran upright.

As far as Marcus Allen goes, He had the best style for a running back to avoid direct contact and injuries. I learned a lot from him growing up as a runner. Instead of running the ball hard and fighting for each yard, take your time going through the hole and allow the play to develop. If someone hits you, just go with it and if all fails just fold and go down. Do not attempt to continue fighting for the next yard. This is when injuries come into play.

Walter Payton was the exception.